• entries
    13
  • comments
    54
  • views
    621

Secret Worlds

ChemFem

224 views

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/413047-everybody-has-a-secret-world-inside-of-them-i-mean

This is one of my favorite quotes (I will also crosspost in the thread for favorite quotes). It does wonders for empathy to keep this in mind. That person who just cut you off in traffic is a complex system unto themselves that you can only begin to imagine. You and they and everyone live in defiance of entropy, making meaning where there was none. Happy Armistice Day, you incredible bundles of stardust. <3


4
  Report Entry


13 Comments


Sounds alot like Buddhism... 

An incredibly useful Buddhist practice is to imagine that everyone in the world was once your own mother - that really helps to cultivate empathy, and compassion too...

1

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, BenedettaC said:

Sounds alot like Buddhism... 

An incredibly useful Buddhist practice is to imagine that everyone in the world was once your own mother - that really helps to cultivate empathy, and compassion too...

It would probably not work as well for people who have terrible relationships with their mother...but they could pick a different person whom they respect and admire.

0

Share this comment


Link to comment
3 hours ago, BenedettaC said:

Sounds alot like Buddhism... 

An incredibly useful Buddhist practice is to imagine that everyone in the world was once your own mother - that really helps to cultivate empathy, and compassion too...

I don't need any more empathy in my life! If I do that I will probably feel empathy for aliens too!! :P

1

Share this comment


Link to comment
11 hours ago, ChemFem said:

It would probably not work as well for people who have terrible relationships with their mother...but they could pick a different person whom they respect and admire.

Ha, ha, ha... Buddhism doesn't really allow for having a bad relationship with one's mother... :D

1

Share this comment


Link to comment
8 hours ago, kairi said:

I don't need any more empathy in my life! If I do that I will probably feel empathy for aliens too!! :P

But  just think of all the amazing revelations you could share with the world then...!   :)

1

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, BenedettaC said:

But  just think of all the amazing revelations you could share with the world then...!   :)

I already have experienced some amazing "revelations"  but  sharing with the world is not an option :P

And aliens can stay wherever they are, I don't need any more experience hahaha 

1

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, kairi said:

I already have experienced some amazing "revelations"  but  sharing with the world is not an option :P

And aliens can stay wherever they are, I don't need any more experience hahaha 

Well, the world, such as it is, might not be ready for those revelations yet...but the aliens might think otherwise.... :wink:

2

Share this comment


Link to comment

This is a similar quote that I really take to heart:
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about.”
I usually play devil's advocate in discussions because I try to empathize with the other party. 

2

Share this comment


Link to comment
9 minutes ago, BenedettaC said:

Well, the world, such as it is, might not be ready for those revelations yet...but the aliens might think otherwise.... :wink:

Do you think the world will ever be ready? I myself wasn't, imagine someone that doesn't understand. And how can they understand the human miracle and how we truly connected are. What comes easy to me right now took effort to accept and yet not fully. Imagine all those close minds if I enter a room and expose their secret emotions!!! Which I can't do of course :P

1

Share this comment


Link to comment
6 hours ago, kairi said:

Do you think the world will ever be ready? I myself wasn't, imagine someone that doesn't understand. And how can they understand the human miracle and how we truly connected are. What comes easy to me right now took effort to accept and yet not fully. Imagine all those close minds if I enter a room and expose their secret emotions!!! Which I can't do of course :P

On the basis of the archaeological evidence, it appears that prehistoric and ancient cultures may have understood and exercised human interconnectedness much better than we do in contemporary times, so yes, it’s entirely possible that the world will eventually become a far more intuitive and psychic place than it is now. You never know...one day there could suddenly be a big shift... I live in hope!  :)

0

Share this comment


Link to comment
6 hours ago, BenedettaC said:

On the basis of the archaeological evidence, it appears that prehistoric and ancient cultures may have understood and exercised human interconnectedness much better than we do in contemporary times, so yes, it’s entirely possible that the world will eventually become a far more intuitive and psychic place than it is now. You never know...one day there could suddenly be a big shift... I live in hope!  :)

We have a saying in Greece. "Hope is the last one to die" Of course it loses in translation but I tried my best.

And until the world is ready some of us will be hiding like Will in Sense8 ;p 

0

Share this comment


Link to comment
1 hour ago, kairi said:

We have a saying in Greece. "Hope is the last one to die" Of course it loses in translation but I tried my best.

And until the world is ready some of us will be hiding like Will in Sense8 ;p 

Hiding...or just sitting quietly? :)

0

Share this comment


Link to comment
6 hours ago, BenedettaC said:

Hiding...or just sitting quietly? :)

You can say sitting quietly, yes. And showing in selected few I'd say :P

It's not exactly showing but I don't know another word 

1

Share this comment


Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now