AllieLynn

Weight Loss, Body Positivity, And Self Acceptance

93 posts in this topic

This seemed like the appropriate place to put this, if not, mods feel free to move it on over somewhere else ;)

Weight loss and body confidence posts pop up on here frequently, so I thought I would try something out.

As women we constantly put ourselves down, or compare ourselves to others. We often believe our self worth or value is tied up with the number on the scale or the size of our jeans. While there has been a lot of change out there in the beauty industry as far as standards, they still have a long way to go. I thought it would be cool to try and promote some self love amongst our little community here.

My idea is to have a thread devoted mostly to body positivity, and also a place of encouragement for those of us who are on some type of weight loss/health journey. This is about feeling good in your own skin, and being proud of the progress you’ve made, or just proud of yourself in general. So this is not limited to those trying to drop a few pounds, or “plus sized” women.

Feel free to post pictures of yourself if you feel comfortable, such as before and after’s, or a selfie of you in an outfit that makes you feel amazing. Share stats (weight loss, measurements, etc.), and inspirational quotes or videos. Share clothing you love, recipes that you swear by, and workouts that have worked for you. Show off your curves, scars, and imperfections.

I want this to be a safe and loving place that shows everyBODY is different, and everyBODY is beautiful.

I have mentioned before in other posts how much my weight yoyo’s, so for now I will start with my current wellness journey.

In December I had a baby and upon getting home from the hospital I weighed 220.

I have been using the MyFitnessPal app (which btw I LOVE and highly recommend), together with 30 min on the elliptical every day, to every other day. As of today I weigh 188! I have a long way to go to get to my goal so I am trying * hard to love myself in the moment. I have realized it is very important, and encouraging to your self-esteem to buy clothes and lingerie that fit you. I used to refuse to buy new clothes, and pine over my size 6’s hanging in my closet, but that only left me feeling discouraged. Buying pretty things that fit your body definitely allow you to see yourself in a more positive light. Then when the day comes where those size 14’s start getting a little roomy, you will be so proud of yourself as well. I also try to keep in mind that that number doesn’t define me. It doesn’t make me any less attractive, desirable, or likeable. I have more to offer the world than the size of my jeans.

Oh yeah, I recently purchased a two-piece bathing suite, and I am totally going to rock it, cellulite and all!

When I get a chance I will post a current photo on here too…. Maybe of the bikini, I’ll think about it lol

Anyway, I hope this turns into something fun and encouraging, and I look forward to sharing this journey with you ladies. <3

Hey AllieLynn, Really like your post and the concept of encouraging others to share their journey of the curse that comes with being a woman 'the struggle of weight control'! I think as you get older, unless you are able to exercise regularly, it gets tougher to keep the pounds off! I became obsessed with weighing myself on the scales at the same time each day to make sure I was monitoring my weight but have since realised that this is not beneficial and actually find that the best way to measure my weight is by how my clothes feel on me and how they make me feel.

I am lucky that my son is a teenage so does not need as much attention therefore I have more time for me so I can exercise regularly but there is one diet that i found has worked for me. I say diet but I have found it has become more of a lifestyle change in terms of how I eat. It is a regime whereby you only eat within an 8 hour window during the day....won't bore you with the science but essentially the body fasts for the remaining 16 hours and allows you to break down any unwanted fat. I am always wary about diets though and it is not for everyone.

I try and always look good that way I feel good and stay positive :-)

Yeah even though I do MyFitnessPal, sometimes I find it doesn't allow me to eat as much as I need to. I really only use it to log my meals. I make sure i eat only what I need, and cleanly. Its more about staying active, especially the older I get lol.

Same about looking good. Even if I don't plan on leaving the house I atleast get dressed and do my hair. It puts me in a good frame of mind.

Great idea for a thread and I will revisit and comment when I get time :)

Copying and pasting my profile info from MyFitnessPal!

BACKGROUND:

I was on MFP the first time from February to May 2013 and I had lost 18 pounds! I got lazy and complacent and stopped tracking and working out over that summer. I gained it all back, and then an additional 7 on top of that. I started losing weight again after May 14th 2014, the date of a health screening for my work. My numbers were the highest they have ever been and I was so disgusted and depressed that I decided enough was enough.

Started tracking again, focusing mainly on CICO during the rest of spring. From June 2014 to August 2014, I completed Couch to 5k and lost my first 20 pounds. From August 2014 until January 2015, with breaks in between, I completed Couch to 10k and lost the other 20 lbs.

RUNNING PROGRAMS:

*C25K Program- 06/22/2014 to 08/16/2014 (COMPLETE)

*C210K Program- 08/18/2014 to 1/26/2015 (COMPLETE)

*AMUFC Run Club- 03/31/2015 to 6/14/2015 (IN PROGRESS)

RACES:

*2015 YMCA Red Flannel 8K Run- 2/14/2015 (1:02:05)

*The Sparkle Run 5K Run- 5/3/2015 (43:20)

*2015 AMUFC Miles for Miracles 5K Run- 6/14/15 (UPCOMING)

LIFTING PROGRAM

*StrongLift's 5x5 Program- 03/23/2015 to present

CURRENT (MAX) LIFTING STATS AS OF 5/6/15

(HAVE TO TAKE BREAK DUE TO GYM TEMPORARY CLOSING)

Squat (5x5): 150 lbs

Bench Press (5x5): 75

Barbell Row (5x5): 95

Overhead Press (5x5): 60

Deadlift (1x5): 165 lbs

MEASUREMENTS AS OF 5/7/2015...

Lbs- 44 pounds down

Inches- 37.5 inches lost

Calves- 1.5 inches lost

Thighs- 5 inches lost

Bust- 7 inches lost

Stomach- 10.5 inches lost

Butt- 5.5 inches lost

Hips- 6 inches lost

Arms- 2 inches lost

YES, MORE NUMBERS :)

Down 21% of my start-weight

Down 7.1 points on the BMI charts

Down 3 denim jean sizes

Down 4 dress pant sizes

Edited by SJess93

I created this last night, since May 14th marks my one year anniversary since I started seriously losing weight!!!

Lots of number! haha

But WOW that's so awesome! And you're beautiful :)

I last took body measurements a few months ago, I think I need to take new ones.

Haha, SO sorry for all of the numbers! It's kind of become an obsession, tracking all of the numbers and MFP is the only place I can accurately keep track of everything in a semi-organized manner!

To wrap it up, I'm 5'7 and I've lost 44 pounds and almost 38 inches all over my body. I lift and run.

Thank you, dear :)

LOVE your hair :)

I created this last night, since May 14th marks my one year anniversary since I started seriously losing weight!!!

You are gorgeous.

You are gorgeous.

Likewise, Andry---you've got this hot librarian vibe with your profile pic ;)

Thank you for your kind works!

Congrats, you look amazing :)

Aw, thanks, Hungry!

I wish all of you ladies the best of luck in your pursuit of wellness and body positivity!

Yeah even though I do MyFitnessPal, sometimes I find it doesn't allow me to eat as much as I need to. I really only use it to log my meals. I make sure i eat only what I need, and cleanly. Its more about staying active, especially the older I get lol.

Same about looking good. Even if I don't plan on leaving the house I atleast get dressed and do my hair. It puts me in a good frame of mind.

Hi hun congrats on your success so far , just remember depending on your workout and how intense it is ....always adjust your meals to it

as well , especially if your metabolism is burning carbs quicker. Good luck. :)

Posting here to remind myself to revisit this when I have more time! :) love this!

We don't own a scale or a measuring tape. I'm probably a 20/22. Extra weight runs in my family. I've been more generously proportioned most of my life. I try to eat as balanced & in moderation (with some indulgences) as possible. The same with activity. I want to lose some, but, it's not a priority right now. More important things are going on in our life. Besides, I'd be happy with some new & prettier clothes. Our current living situation requires keeping things to a minimum. The clothes would work wonders. After reading your post, I checked myself in the mirror. I usually just look briefly. Not because I don't like what I see. I just don't think much about it. When I saw myself, my first thought was, God I look good. Thanks for reminding me I'm still ab fab. As if there was any doubt ;)

This is me and my big booty currently lol

I'm 5'2, 188lbs

*cool ranch deletos the pic*

Edited by AllieLynn

I love it, and when you put your hand on your hips....... oh lala :)

I love it, and when you put your hand on your hips....... oh lala :)

haha thank you :D

I have been on a diet since I was ten years old. It started when I would buy Doritos from the Polar Cup truck and my dad told me I was getting a little too chubby so he gave me Slim Fast. I lost weight, but would occasionally go to the Polar Cup truck to get Doritos, when I felt myself gaining weight I would go back on Slim Fast. This continued in middle school when I thought I was fat or would assume I was getting fat and would bring Slim Fast to school with me for lunch and if I forgot I would skip lunch. Over the years, I would go on an off different diets. My weight fluctuated and I never really got involved in anything as I didn't really have any confidence. I would diet throughout my adulthood and when I finally acknowledged that I was bisexual quite a bit of that weight came off (I never realized that such a thing was tied to it) In future years I always made sure I walked or rollerbladed. I still work out and am trying to lose weight still however, I'm going to make an effort to eat organic and lower my carbs. I do pilates and practice meditation and yoga and that helps quite a bit. I'm also going to start doing on-demand work outs (when I get some sneakers to support my feet). Anyway, I just wanted to share so people who may be in my shoes can know they're not alone.

post-133527-0-66471600-1431920307_thumb.jpg

I up until about a year ago have always been a size 16-18. It started at sexual abuse when I was 15. I basically ate for comfort. It was the only time I felt happy. I felt horrible about myself. I slimmed down in my early twenties..then I had two adorable little boys. I gained over 50 lbs with each pregnancy. I was also depressed. No motivation. My company downsized which left me unemployed for 8 months. I was also wrestling with my sexual identity and was very unhappy. Food was my go to.

I had to make a change. I came out to my husband and along with feeling like a weight had been lifted, on the flip side our marriage began to fall apart. I was feeling better emotionally, but completely stressed about things that were going on. Food became less of a priority in my life. I started eating less. More healthy things. I began to go for walks to clear my head. Lots of walks. Also my husband moved to another shift, which put the majority of the care of our sons on me. They still keep me very active. :) I began to slim down. From a size 16 to my current size 6.

I never really felt badly about myself as an adult. As a teenager I did. But as I got older I learned that it's not the weight you carry. Its how you carry yourself. It's about loving who you are as a person. Women are beautiful. We are strong. When I look at my stretch marks I know I earned those. I'd do it all over again. Yes there are some things that I am not fond of. But I'm now content enough with myself to say, ya know what? I'm real. I have a belly. I have stretch marks, but I'm happy with the woman I've become.

You are all beautiful ladies. :)

I'm back on a healthy eating plan along with exercise plan too.

So far I have lost 4lbs in 4 days and think that is a great start so I am super excited. I will post before and after once I have reached my goal.

I am feeling body positive and am approaching weight loss from a health and strength perspective this time rather than all visuals. Of course I want to be slimmer and sexier and more toned but the focus is on healthier and stronger and the other is a side benefit. I have amazing people in my life that love me as I am now and have learned to love myself too.

I want to take up some kind of Latin dancing too :)

post-133527-0-66471600-1431920307_thumb.jpg

I up until about a year ago have always been a size 16-18. It started at sexual abuse when I was 15. I basically ate for comfort. It was the only time I felt happy. I felt horrible about myself. I slimmed down in my early twenties..then I had two adorable little boys. I gained over 50 lbs with each pregnancy. I was also depressed. No motivation. My company downsized which left me unemployed for 8 months. I was also wrestling with my sexual identity and was very unhappy. Food was my go to.

I had to make a change. I came out to my husband and along with feeling like a weight had been lifted, on the flip side our marriage began to fall apart. I was feeling better emotionally, but completely stressed about things that were going on. Food became less of a priority in my life. I started eating less. More healthy things. I began to go for walks to clear my head. Lots of walks. Also my husband moved to another shift, which put the majority of the care of our sons on me. They still keep me very active. :) I began to slim down. From a size 16 to my current size 6.

I never really felt badly about myself as an adult. As a teenager I did. But as I got older I learned that it's not the weight you carry. Its how you carry yourself. It's about loving who you are as a person. Women are beautiful. We are strong. When I look at my stretch marks I know I earned those. I'd do it all over again. Yes there are some things that I am not fond of. But I'm now content enough with myself to say, ya know what? I'm real. I have a belly. I have stretch marks, but I'm happy with the woman I've become.

You are all beautiful ladies. :)

Yes yes yes to what you said at the end.

I do think it has a lot to do with age too. When I first lost weight as a teen it was more about I want to look good to impress xyz, and I really hated myself so much. Now It's more about feeling food, and being healthy. If someone doesn't like me because I am a little overweight they can go take a hike.

And btw, you're ADORABLE, baili! Love the hair :)

I'm back on a healthy eating plan along with exercise plan too.

So far I have lost 4lbs in 4 days and think that is a great start so I am super excited. I will post before and after once I have reached my goal.

I am feeling body positive and am approaching weight loss from a health and strength perspective this time rather than all visuals. Of course I want to be slimmer and sexier and more toned but the focus is on healthier and stronger and the other is a side benefit. I have amazing people in my life that love me as I am now and have learned to love myself too.

I want to take up some kind of Latin dancing too :)

That's awesome! Congrats on your weight loss so far. It isn't easy.

That's wonderful that you acknowledge those that find beauty in you. That was always so hard for me. If my husband, or family told me I was beautiful I would always disagree or think they were lying. I'm really trying to accept compliments, and know when the ones I love say something good about me they really mean it and I shouldn't be so dismissive.

Latin dancing sounds fun, I have always wanted to take hip hop.. Totally goes against my personality lol

Yes yes yes to what you said at the end.

I do think it has a lot to do with age too. When I first lost weight as a teen it was more about I want to look good to impress xyz, and I really hated myself so much. Now It's more about feeling food, and being healthy. If someone doesn't like me because I am a little overweight they can go take a hike.

And btw, you're ADORABLE, baili! Love the hair :)

Thank you Allie. You are absolutely right. If someone can't see you for the person that you are, instead of the pant size that you wear..well, I feel sad for them..but they don't deserve to know you. In my personal opinion. Their loss. :)

Awesome.

A person can pretty much accomplish anything once they've got their mind set on it. I know when I lost 30lbs my mind was constantly drifting off into the world of beer and pizza. It was a real struggle but I did it!