princessmononoke

Who Speaks Another Language?

I speak English, French, Spanish, Russian and German. Mostly working with German lately, use French daily, would love to learn Brazilian Portuguese which I know the basics of

Loving the diversity of languages you speak

• Upvote 1

I can pretty much get by in Scottish Gaelic, (it's similar to the Gaelic spoken in Ireland, though not the same).

My dad's family came from The Highlands where the language was dominant. He used it when I was a small child, until my mum convinced him that 'the wee lass needs to start school at age 5 and should be speaking the language of the Sassenachs' (English).

Well in that case:

Nollaig Chridheil :santa:

:lips::lips::lips:

• Upvote 1

English is my second language, I speak spanish! 

Hola a todos los hispanoparlante aqui! 

English is my first language, hablo español también, hola @Tropical witch!

I studied French and Spanish at University. I even got a good grade, sadly that doesn't translate into how competent I am! :P

¡Hola a tod@s l@s hispanoparlantes! 

Bonjour aux francophones!

I'm conversational in Mandarin, though I'm out of practice at it. I learned some Greek as a child but didn't retain much.

I am fluent in Spanish (first language) and English. I can understand Italian and Portuguese pretty well, and would love to learn French. I took a semester of Arabic in college and can only say a few phrases lol.

P.S.

Hola @Tropical witch, te saluda otra Boricua desde la Florida! Espero que estes bien tras el paso de Maria. <3

• Upvote 1

I studied French because I consider it to be a beautiful language. A French accent is sexy, Paris is a romantic city, and I want to see it. That's reason enough to study a language, I think.

On 6/23/2017 at 10:38 AM, TyphoonFighter said:

I studied French and Spanish at University. I even got a good grade, sadly that doesn't translate into how competent I am! :P

Same here. If you don't use it, you lose it! 

• Like 1

I love learning about languages, even if it's just to get a sense of the alphabet and structure of the language,  just for fun. My fist language is English but I've studied Gujarati, Hindi, Welsh, Spanish, Korean, French, Italian, Russian, ASL, Persian (Farsi), and even the planned language of Esperanto. Granted, I'm not fully fluent in anything but English because I haven't dedicated the time but that doesn't stop me from being curious and then randomly raising a Mandarin or Arabic lesson. 

I love learning about all cultures and pretty much any accent is adorable to me and piques my curiosity. 

• Upvote 1

On 22/03/2018 at 9:02 AM, pinklotus said:

I love learning about languages, even if it's just to get a sense of the alphabet and structure of the language,  just for fun. My fist language is English but I've studied Gujarati, Hindi, Welsh, Spanish, Korean, French, Italian, Russian, ASL, Persian (Farsi), and even the planned language of Esperanto. Granted, I'm not fully fluent in anything but English because I haven't dedicated the time but that doesn't stop me from being curious and then randomly raising a Mandarin or Arabic lesson. 

I love learning about all cultures and pretty much any accent is adorable to me and piques my curiosity. 

That is so cool. I am the same way. I love languages...it is cool all the different ways humans can say the same thing/idea. And the grammar rules of different languages is crazy....things can be so different yet so similar at the same time.

• Upvote 1

I am fluent in 2 languages which are Malay and English. I am still working on German and French. I dont even speak those language everyday bc i live where people are comfortable speaking in theie own dilect. And i am fluent in at least 2 different dialect from my place. 

German!  Ich habe fuer zehn Jahre in Deutschland gewohnt.  Ich bin halb-Deutsch.  Meine Vater is eine Amerikaner und meine Mutter war in Deutschland geboren.  

Sadly I am losing the speaking part because I have nobody up here in the middle of nowhere to converse with.  It sucks that speaking goes so fast.  I can still read it fairly well though.  

My Native tongue is English but speak some Spanish, understand quite a bit and just learning Portuguese.

Yo hablo espanol (beginner-intermediate) 

Eu falo um pouco de portugues (beginner)

Dw i'n ddigon hapus i symud rhwng y Gymraeg a'r Saesneg =

I'm quite happy to move between Welsh and English.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, almocado said:

Dw i'n ddigon hapus i symud rhwng y Gymraeg a'r Saesneg =

I'm quite happy to move between Welsh and English.

I don't speak a bit of Welsh but I have been to Wales and have a soft spot for such rare languages plus I love the way it sounds. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pinklotus said:

I don't speak a bit of Welsh but I have been to Wales and have a soft spot for such rare languages plus I love the way it sounds. 

Whereabouts were you? It's a shame there aren't more native people who speak it, but it's difficult for a minority language to compete with the dominance of English.

I speak Afrikaans and English

• Like 1

I'm Anglophone but did all my education in French and am fully bilingual. 

I'm conversational in Spanish and know a smidge of Japanese and American Sign Language. I'd love to learn those three more fluently. 

My native language is English, I speak Spanish (fluent), Italian (can get by) and French (rusty - easy to read but speaking is an effort)

Also have some Latin but don't speak it very often.

It's so nice to know more than one language. It gives you access to thinking and cultures that most monolingual Americans never access. I know you guys are from all around the world though, so I'm just being Americentric here. 

Fluent in American Sign Language here. 

• Like 1

I don't "speak" a language very well because too many years learning to speak my own. Currently learning American and French Sign Language. 

I read very well in French, Spanish and Hindi (&Nepali). I read okay in Portuguese, Italian and Latin. Then I only know a few words in Arabic, Hebrew, Irish and Welsh. 

Speaking any language is me sounding like broken English or hand gestures to get meaning across. Lol. 

However linguistics is something that has always interested me. So to those who can speak different languages -- Wow!