ana

Sex During Your Period?

47 posts in this topic

I started birth control two months ago. I see how it's effective: I can't get pregnant if I can't have sex. I don't have sex because I have my period ALL THE FRICKING TIME! Apparently it's normal, my body is just adjusting to the hormones and what not. But over a 60 day period, I've been bleeding for 30 days. (not all consecutive) The flow is light/moderate to just spotting. If I didn't change my tampon several times a day for sanitary and safety reasons, I'd go through just one tampon a day.

But I don't have even have sex when just spotting. I'd like to, but I think it would be gross. Not to mention religious restrictions regarding impurity during menstruation. (Yes, an ironic concern considering I am currently having premarital sex)

So I'm curious as to whether some of you here have ever had sex on your period. What was it like?

If it was with a man, how was he not grossed out by it?

Thanks!

I have normally towards the end when I'm horniest! I've just asked hubby and he said it's no different than when the women is very excited. He also said he doesn't usually get that messy and it's not an issue.

I'd say if you haven't had sex in 2 months he won't care!

It depends on your flow but given that your experiencing a pretty light flow and haven't mentioned experiencing any other symptoms that would make you feel uncomfortable during sex then you'll be fine.

On a light flow you can usually always have sex pretty easily and it's still clean. If you're worried put a towel down or when you get further down the road by darker bed linen for occasions such as these lol.

But sex could actually help lessen your flow too - it's known to alter peoples cycles now and again. I think unless it's really heavy or you feel awful nobody really minds too much. Also if you shower/bathe beforehand you should have a window of reduced flow anyway :)

Happy times and I'm glad you see the irony, enjoy yourself!

First off, if you're having daily spotting, I'd suggest talking to your doctor and see about trying a different type of pill. There's no good reason to have to put up with that.

I like the idea of period sex. I'm usually really horny at that time, and it helps with cramps. DH is turned off by it, though.

There's a menstrual product called the Instead Softcup that we've recently tried. It fits similar to a diaphragm, and you can have sex with it in, unlike the funnel-shaped menstrual cups (like DivaCup). I've only tried it on light days. I wear the cup for a while beforehand (so any blood in the vagina has a chance to work its way out), shower well, clean the cup and reinsert (they aren't officially reusable, but there's no good reason not to - it's nonporous. But you could also just put in a new one if you didn't feel comfortable with that), and then have sex. DH has no complaints. I don't know if he can feel it, but if he can, it isn't enough to be off-putting. I'd worry about potential leakage on heavy days, but on light/spotting days, there's so little to begin with that it isn't an issue.

The whole process with the shower and so on is probably overkill, but I want things to work for DH.

I've heard of people using diaphragms for this too, but that's more expensive and requires special fitting and so on.

Not that this helps with religious objections or if either of you can't get over the general idea of it. But it's a mess-free way to handle it (or at least no messier than normal sex, it isn't the cleanest activity to begin with).

You might look into menstrual cups (this type or the officially reusable funnel-type) if you do continue to have ongoing spotting. Tampons aren't great for your vagina, especially on lighter days - they absorb the natural moisture. I still use them for heavy days, but can't imagine using them basically every day.

Edited by moonbynight

Thanks for the tips, moonbynight! I'm looking into the Cup

I am on progestin- only pills. I acquired the pill through visiting Planned Parenthood. I called them when the period frequency got concerning. They had told me it's nothing to worry about.

I am seeing an OBGYN at the end of October. Hope it can all be sorted out. :)

Thanks for the tips, moonbynight! I'm looking into the Cup

I am on progestin- only pills. I acquired the pill through visiting Planned Parenthood. I called them when the period frequency got concerning. They had told me it's nothing to worry about.

I am seeing an OBGYN at the end of October. Hope it can all be sorted out. :)

Yeah, I wondered about that - ongoing spotting is more common on progestin-only. Are you breastfeeding, or do you have a health problem (mainly a history of blood clots) that excludes the use of an estrogen-containing pill? Because those are the main reasons progestin-only pills are used.

In any case, they're right that it isn't worrisome from a health standpoint, but it's annoying, and there's no reason to put up with it if there is another good option.

Edited by moonbynight

I've found it depends on the guy, some guys don't care and other are grossed out. Lay a towel down and go for it! lol

Yeah, I wondered about that - ongoing spotting is more common on progestin-only. Are you breastfeeding, or do you have a health problem (mainly a history of blood clots) that excludes the use of an estrogen-containing pill? Because those are the main reasons progestin-only pills are used.

In any case, they're right that it isn't worrisome from a health standpoint, but it's annoying, and there's no reason to put up with it if there is another good option.

I was given POP's because I have multiple chronic illnesses. The doctor didn't want to put me at risk for anything. But as far as I know, my illnesses do not preclude me from using other types of oral contraceptives...

I started birth control two months ago. I see how it's effective: I can't get pregnant if I can't have sex. I don't have sex because I have my period ALL THE FRICKING TIME! Apparently it's normal, my body is just adjusting to the hormones and what not. But over a 60 day period, I've been bleeding for 30 days. (not all consecutive) The flow is light/moderate to just spotting. If I didn't change my tampon several times a day for sanitary and safety reasons, I'd go through just one tampon a day.

But I don't have even have sex when just spotting. I'd like to, but I think it would be gross. Not to mention religious restrictions regarding impurity during menstruation. (Yes, an ironic concern considering I am currently having premarital sex)

So I'm curious as to whether some of you here have ever had sex on your period. What was it like?

If it was with a man, how was he not grossed out by it?

Thanks!

Lol! I had the same problem trying to take birth control! Eventually I gave up and stop taking it all together! I tried different pills and then the ring. Nothing helped! I was really birth control! But my husband was tired of waiting and so was I.... We started having sex in the shower. And then kind of moved on to sometimes right after I had gotten out of the shower when my blood flow was heavy. The "texture" or feel of it was a bit different from our normal juices but that didn't stop us. We used to think it was gross until this situation occurred. If I had a light bleed but we were ready, I'd put down a towel and call it a day! I'm sorry if that freaks you out but there were some points in our life when we had to get it done!

And after I had my second child I bleed for 4 months straight and the every other week for 2 months! So a gain we used the same measurements. Obgyn wasn't concerned about it in either case. Though the second time I was breastfeeding and I read that it takes a while for your period to regulate...

Yeah, it's frustrating because I wake up clean and think YES! It has finally stopped!! But several hours later, it's back and I think NOOOOOO!!!!.

Especially on days when I have potential opportunities for sex.

I asked my guy (FWB/ boyfriend/ unsure of the label at this point) on his thoughts regarding the SoftCup. He said he'd consider it (having sex while I'm using it). So we shall see.

I still have my reservations on the whole concept of having sex during your period because of religious restrictions (Leviticus 18:19). I feel that although I'm already having premarital sex, I still need to set some boundaries.

I'm only considering it because my period seems to never end!

Perhaps it's my uterus telling me that I shouldn't be having sex at all until marriage.... :O

Not my thing, but, as I feel about other erotic interests/fetishes, as long as everyone is of age, it's safe & consensual, that's their business. Some guys like going down on a woman when she's on her period. It's called earning their red wings.

I find that most guys don't care lol! I've never had a man react badly to period sex. If anything, I probably have more of an issue with it than they do. It's all personal preference but it is definitely doable and can be great if you're horny ;)

I suppose I am going to shock some when I say that period sex with men was always good, never felt gross, yes did the towel, and even got oral from men this way. Sex for me started at a fairly early age, and I was doing that with boys almost from the beginning. Everyone is just so horny it was like why rule it out I guess. I never felt wrong. I think I imagined this was fairly common, and have realized it isn't so much so.

But what I was really looking for on this topic was lesbian period sex. So here is my experience. Ive done it with someone raggin and when I was too so I guess I am chiming in as the defacto expert LOL. A woman told me she started a day before we had a long awaited date and said we could wait or we could find other things to do in bed...suggested cuddling etc. That might have happened but we wanted each other so badly that once we started being affectionate and tender it was going to lead to sex no matter what. When we were laying and talking we agreed that when you are on the pill your horniness and ability to let it go increases when you are on your period. Once we started making out, there was no hesitation touching her from me, so I guess she picked up on that. although I did verbally confirm "you ok?". The whole sexual experience was great .. Yes I went down on her and it felt perfectly normal and natural. She did say "are you sure you want to do this?" beforehand and I wanted to so badly there was no stopping me. Yes the taste was there but good sex is messy anyway. The lights were out so I wasn't looking at the visual if that makes sense to anyone reading...I admit I would not have wanted to open my eyes in the light during this. The only thing that mattered in the whole experience was that I wanted to do it and she wanted me to do it, so that's all there was to "get over."

A gay friend of mine says that when lesbians do oral on period it is called "getting your red wings" which is a reference to having some red shaped like a wing around your mouth when you do it.

The time I had lesbian sex when I was having my period, she (different girlfriend) fingered me, towel down of course, but did not or would not have gone down on me. It wasn't discussed, I wouldnt have asked her, but I wouldn't have stopped her if she would've gone down on me. I will share that I saw her hand / her fingers after I orgasmed and there was a visual that was stark and confirmed that this was unusual sex...but it just confirmed to me how much she cared for my wants and needs.

So as I get ready to hit send on this and share it ...I feel like I should scream "don't judge me." I think many would say "I could never do that," and I respect that. But I am interested in, on this topic, what lesbian "period" sex has been like for you....or if it hasn't, if you love and care for her, does it keep you from making love.

I've had sex during my mensies as well as my girlfriend having hers. I've never met a guy who would mind, it has seemed to be more of a problem to us girls, maybe feeling a bit unhygienic or something. It's not often that I do it though, especially being the receiving side, as I have very painful menstruation.

My ex-girlfriend and I both had menstrual cups in use during mensies. The cup is a bit in the way when having (penetrative) sex with a guy, but between girls it's just as not having menstruation at all. To be honest, I wouldn't be comfortable to go down on a menstruating girl if I would end up with blood on my face, so as selfish as it makes me, I expect her using a cup or something else. Also, I wouldn't let anyone go down on me either if I was flowing freely. Fingering is okay though both ways ;)

The nurse in me first wants to tell you that if you are not soaking tampons, you shouldn't use them. Use panty liners or pads. That may actually be part of your problem. Tampons should only be changed when they are actually soaked. Otherwise you are tearing the tissue lining your vagina.

Next, I never had a problem having sex with men during any part of my cycle when I was having sex with men. With women, my birth control method has had me period-free for a long time, but with spotting, it's a judgment call on HER part, whatever she's comfortable with. I did go down on my GF while she had in a tampon, and she was freshly showered. No biggie.

I think way too many are afraid of a little blood & haven't touched themselves enough while they had their periods to know how to handle it. Seriously it is simple take it into the shower bang it out with a toy & some soap then play because it really isn't that much blood or mess involved that way. If not stick a tampon or whatever in & work around it. Frankly if I'm blood bond to a partner that got tested with me I'll just worry about clean up later probably lay her out on a towel then wipe my face once I'm done. You could also just use gloves, dental dams, & toys too. It's really no biggie.

I have a lover who's horny like clock work when I'm on my cycle & I swear it must be her fetish because once a month I can almost time her wanting to go down on me. I find her sexy & we've been lovers for years so I only joke about it, but when I 1st noticed the pattern I found it a strange conscience that she would always just appear out of nowhere when I began bleeding. I'm not even sure she is fully aware of it or that I caught on to the fact I never see her any other time, but I've gotten used to the fact her going down on me was/is like an every other month special bonus. It's either her fetish or that her cycle is a week after mine so the week before is when if someone else isn't taken care of business she finds me to.

I know personally my sex drive is always sky high, but a few days before & during my hormones are on over drive so for me waiting till it passes wouldn't ever be an options as i want it as often as humanly possible & double that when I'm physically fiending it.

When I think of sex during period, I think about how hot it was the first time I tried it. It's messy if you aren't careful but very pleasurable and helpful to heal abdominal cramping.if I have period sex it's usually on a day where I have a very low blood flow.

I used the the Softcup last night during sex. No mess.

felt odd at times, heard clicking noises but overall felt great.

The nurse in me first wants to tell you that if you are not soaking tampons, you shouldn't use them. Use panty liners or pads. That may actually be part of your problem. Tampons should only be changed when they are actually soaked. Otherwise you are tearing the tissue lining your vagina.

If started using tampons for light flow, and that seems to be fine. Also using the cup occasionally.

As a nurse, can I ask you how long is too long of a period on Progestin only pills? I have been taking it at the same time every day. I am on the third week of my third month on the pill I've had my period for three weeks straight. Flow has been medium to light. some days, cramps have been terrible- not my usual cramps (before I started the pill).

I've been told there's no reason to be concerned, yet I am quite concerned. not to mention annoyed

Having period sex is no biggie. I've done it, it can be distracting with a tampon in but it didn't take away from the pleasure. I enjoyed it.

I have a really high sex drive when I'm on my period and have had sex a few times.....never had anyone go down on me (yet) during it. Yeah can be messy so put a towel down or better still jump in the shower for extra fun lol

I used the the Softcup last night during sex. No mess.

felt odd at times, heard clicking noises but overall felt great.

If started using tampons for light flow, and that seems to be fine. Also using the cup occasionally.

As a nurse, can I ask you how long is too long of a period on Progestin only pills? I have been taking it at the same time every day. I am on the third week of my third month on the pill I've had my period for three weeks straight. Flow has been medium to light. some days, cramps have been terrible- not my usual cramps (before I started the pill).

I've been told there's no reason to be concerned, yet I am quite concerned. not to mention annoyed

You may have long periods of spotting with progestin-only pills. It's a nuisance more than anything. No health risks. The cramps are more what I would bring up with your provider. They shouldn't have increased.

I would err on the side of caution with tampons and light flow. The cups carry fewer risks.

I'm usually super horny before my period...towards the end I don't think there would be a problem.

In college I did it with my boyfriend... It actually felt pretty amazing, would have to be super super horny to even think about doing it again.

I couldn't deal with the mess if Aunt Flo was in full swing.. I was having sex the day before I was due to come on and my partner freaked out and said it looked like his cock was bleeding. Gees it was the tiniest amount of blood..

So completely ruined it. I was not happy 😡