Which Word Games Should We Keep?   16 members have voted

1. 1. Games

• 2 Words
    • 4 Words
    • Game For Movie Lovers
    • Link The Movies
    • Never Ending Word Association
    • The Last Two Letters Make Up A Word

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

26 posts in this topic

There's been a lot of new word games added to the forum recently.

The new additions have been clogging up the recent post feed and between that and the increase in spam, Shys is starting to look like a word game site!

For newer members if you scroll down Fun, Quizzes and Random Questions, Random Thoughts or get brave enough to use the search function see a ton of movie topics and fun threads, that have more to them.

I've attached a poll of all the word games I could find at a glance.

Pick your favorites and then we can lock the other threads so that new arrivals aren't confused or try restart them.

This should allow other topics can come to the surface and keep everyone happy.

Thanks! :)

Edited by Hungry

I get what you are saying. More meaningful content/more variety would be good. Let's all try and unearth some of our favorite threads.

I agree Hungry. I've been digging back 1-2 years to find something that seems interesting that isn't something that's been discussed recently just to add more things in the mix.

Ermmm... whilst I agree with the sentiments that in some ways shybi is becoming a trivia site, who is going to lock the threads? Has this been proposed to other mods and I have missed the discussion? Just curious that's all

Ermmm... whilst I agree with the sentiments that in some ways shybi is becoming a trivia site, who is going to lock the threads? Has this been proposed to other mods and I have missed the discussion? Just curious that's all

Not yet. I figured it'd be better to get a general consenus before asking for anything. At least that way more have been aware of how some people feel about the influx in games.

If there's a procedure and I've gone about it the wrong way, I apologize.

If it's feasible, can't just some of the tgreads like Word Games ones be taken out of the update box?

If it's feasible, can't just some of the tgreads like Word Games ones be taken out of the update box?

This was what I had been thinking.

I might be wrong, but to my knowledge, only admin can create new forums or sub-sections and even then I think mods can only pin topics.

It's not that I depise word games, elsewhere I play them a lot but that way I think a lot of people would be willing to contribute richer content to the site, including myself.

I just don't have the energy to wade through the sea and to have topics get lost anyway. At the very least, we could put something in how the forum works or the newcomers help thread that states we'd like if only X word games were utilized and then the others could fall to the bottom on their own if mods and admin aren't around to oversee.

Well,i believe that the lack of interesting topis made the word games so popular lately.Correct me if i am wrong :)

Well,i believe that the lack of interesting topis made the word games so popular lately.Correct me if i am wrong :)

But having less topics is because people are playing word games and not creating them. It's fine if that's what most of the members want the site to become, but it's very clearly a cycle - chicken and the egg and it's not the reason many newcomers join. They come for support and bisexual related content so at the very least we should make a clear path for them..

If there's less topics or ones that don't interest you, there's plenty of other sites on the internet to play games and amuse yourselves, I hope you all don't think I'm too harsh for saying so.

No, this isn't it in my opinion. Some of the forum sections don't get displayed on the newsfeed, yet the games and quiz section does. Only admin can change this I think which is a great pity, as while people like to play the games, I'm sure if they want to take part they wouldn't mind searching them out. Other topics are posted on, but get lost with the constant posts made on game threads. It must be very off putting for new members. I know it irritates the hell out of me!

Not yet. I figured it'd be better to get a general consenus before asking for anything. At least that way more have been aware of how some people feel about the influx in games.

If there's a procedure and I've gone about it the wrong way, I apologize.

The procedure is that the Mods decide if a thread is okay to remain here and suitable. If not then they also decide whether to close it, suspend it or delete it. Promising that you can get a thread locked kind of took me by surprise because I had seen no discussion. That is why I asked :)

Who gets to make a choice of which trivia threads are to stay. There is no vote on your list to check if members would want them all down or want the status quo. I DO agree, on a personal level, that often members are playing in trivial games when there are far more important threads to contribute to in keeping with supporting or getting support on here. However, as long as I have been here there has been trivia threads and many members enjoy just being part of that in a safe women's space. It is mind fodder but even mind fodder can relax some people when they are feeling vexed, upset, hurt or sleepless. Personally I would sooner see members having fun in trivia than, say, swearing their heads off in another thread. It is a fine line and where we would start a cull would be hard to choose. Trivia threads sometimes allow new members to 'test the waters' here and feel part of the site before they post something major. In that scenario they are important to allow new members a voice of sorts.

Let us see how your thread goes and see opinions but I doubt there will be major changes. So many threads on here are repeated time and again, because members do not bother searching, ut it is all part and parcel of Shybi :)

Ideas are meant to be proposed/suggested/discussed in the suggestion box so we get a 'heads up' of member's thoughts and ideas. We cannot implement all ideas but we do always look at them. I'll put this thread into the Suggestion Box rather than leave it in How This Forum Works.

THank you all for your input

Ideas are meant to be proposed/suggested/discussed in the suggestion box so we get a 'heads up' of member's thoughts and ideas. We cannot implement all ideas but we do always look at them. I'll put this thread into the Suggestion Box rather than leave it in How This Forum Works.

THank you all for your input

Works for me.

I didn't mean to imply that I was personally going to ensure these topics locked, more that was one way to get around the feed issue.

I don't think all the word games should end, but also we both know that while all the mods will look at the topic in the suggestion box, if I'd of placed it there, how many members would have seen it?

You could alter the poll to reflect your points? Given the poll is multiple choice, the options with the highest votes are good indicators even if those voters don't stop below and discuss. If someone really wanted them all to go or stay for that matter, I would think a strong opinion would make them more inclined to make a reply.

Perhaps the whole topic is me seeing or thinking too much into how one type of topic is clogging up the rest of the site.. I know deep down you're right Lilac, but it was worth a mention to give those who expressed concern somewhere to put it other than their statuses!

Edited by Hungry

Works for me.

I didn't mean to imply that I was personally going to ensure these topics locked, more that was one way to get around the feed issue.

I don't think all the word games should end, but also we both know that while all the mods will look at the topic in the suggestion box, if I'd of placed it there, how many members would have seen it?

You could alter the poll to reflect your points? Given the poll is multiple choice, the options with the highest votes are good indicators even if those voters don't stop below and discuss. If someone really wanted them all to go or stay for that matter, I would think a strong opinion would make them more inclined to make a reply.

Perhaps the whole topic is me seeing or thinking too much into how one type of topic is clogging up the rest of the site.. I know deep down you're right Lilac, but it was worth a mention to give those who expressed concern somewhere to put it other than their statuses!

I did see and understand what you were/are getting at. I think the feed shows the topics that are hit the most and,as far as I know, we Mods cannot alter that.

Bottom line I suppose is that if people want to make the place more on topic and interesting then they post on topic and more interesting/pertinent stuff? That said, so many never contribute anything to the site here that it is really hard to know where to start and what to start on.

I am gong to be missing most of the weekend as I have a MacMillan cancer gig tomorrow morning and a big gig tomorrow night where they are putting me up for the night! I am also about to go to an LGBT policy meeting and then on to a friends gig tonight. Other Mods have been made aware of this thread so I hope their opinions are also placed here :)

Have a good weekend

I like the games on this and other sites. Games are ice breakers. I don't see any reason they should be removed or closed. Don't base your browsing of Shybi on the last items posted, rather go into each section you are interested and peruse there. No one has to go into the games section at all if it's not their thing.

Edited by babs*

There is a link you can click on that says view new topics and anytime someone comments on a topic, it's posted in that section so if you want to post in the forums, check out that one. The games are popular because when someone does one of them it shows up in the new content link.

Anytime someone posts or plays a game, it's put in the view new topics updates because that's the way it was set up on the site.

Really older threads have been locked so you can't comment on them any longer because no one has visited them in a long time, but the mods or the admin can lock a thread if they choose correct? Gosh why the whining, it doesn't help anything but would be nice to be able to comment on older threads.

I think some members have suggested locking some of the game threads but that is only a very small part of the content of the site. Sorry you have to deal with this lilac, just keep doing what you're doing so the site can still function.

Really older threads have been locked so you can't comment on them any longer because no one has visited them in a long time, but the mods or the admin can lock a thread if they choose correct? Gosh why the whining, it doesn't help anything but would be nice to be able to comment on older threads.

I think some members have suggested locking some of the game threads but that is only a very small part of the content of the site. Sorry you have to deal with this lilac, just keep doing what you're doing so the site can still function.

There's no need to apologize for anyone else, nobody is demanding mods make this a priority.

It's not a question of how to see new posts for me personally. I just think more newcomers would get more out of the site if they were searching and seeing more relevant topics, not that we should abolish all the games.

So far it seems that most are happy with the way things are, which is a good thing!

Edited by Hungry

Here are my five cents since I post to the existing games threads...... :)

I also see the games as a light flirting between the Shys posting...... They do get some fun interactions going. These games are also a way of getting to know how people think and if they have a light, joking, easy-going side. I do hear you about not choosing to contribute to other posts or starting new ones. However, life is not always serious business either. Sometimes i only have 5 minutes to spare and I choose a quick word game..... They are fun and I like words. I'm still interacting with my lovely Shys. They are popular because we have many quick thinkers, witty, funny and young at heart ladies. Sometimes, it's the change I need after reading a very sad post about the struggles we all know very well.

I respect the opinions of the people playing and the opinions of people that don't like them and don't want to participate. Just like everything in life, if we can find a way to have both co-exist and available to whoever wants to go there, we can keep peace.

I didn't vote above, as I have enjoyed all of them and I enjoy all of the other topics as well. Overall, proportionately there are plenty of other non-game threads. What if a music thread got very popular all of a sudden. Would the same issue arise?

Again, I'm happy Shys it's what it is for us and does so much for so many people and it's possible thanks to the work of the moderators and those who keep things running. let's not make it more work to keep things running and I hope this doesn't become a dividing issue. It will be an issue if we make it one.

Close one topic and another will soon be opened. No vote... as I would probably choose to close them all.

The signal has unfortunately been pretty much lost amid all the noise... :girlsad:

Close one topic and another will soon be opened. No vote... as I would probably choose to close them all.

The signal has unfortunately been pretty much lost amid all the noise... :girlsad:

You're right and as all the topics are actively being used regularly except for the movie games which are a bit lower in numbers, might as well leave them be.

When I made the post intially it seemed as though some members weren't happy, but this threads shows almost the opposite so looks like I wasn't doing anything helpful anyway!

My vote is for never ending word association thread, and I have... have you?