FallenStar

Board Games :)

On 11/22/2016 at 8:06 AM, FallenStar said:

Ooh I haven't heard of Tzolkin! I'll have to check that out :)

Tzolkin is a worker placement game. A novel aspect of it involves a rotating wheel that advances each turn. Consequently, you need to place your workers where you want them to end up later, as opposed to where you want them to be this turn.

Card games, Yahtzee, Jenga,  and Life are our quick go to games. Our family all time family favorite is an unknown game called The Farming Game. We do more goofing off then playing, but we hang out for the whole day playing it.

Machi Koro is a lot of fun. Highly recommend it. We do game days with friends often. Who thought you could still play games as adults? Livin' the dream!

• Upvote 2

We love games and the kids love when we play games as a family. Spite & Malice is our favorite card game, and the kids also love settlers of catan. I've grown tired of it over the years.

My favorite game, which is NOT for the kids, is Cards Against Humanity.

• Upvote 1

On 9/13/2017 at 9:50 AM, amsterrock said:

Machi Koro is a lot of fun. Highly recommend it. We do game days with friends often. Who thought you could still play games as adults? Livin' the dream!

Machi Joe I is fun though I'm still getting the hang of it. And yeah, gaming with adult friends is wonderful.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, ChemFem said:

Machi Joe I is fun though I'm still getting the hang of it. And yeah, gaming with adult friends is wonderful.

Properties where people have to pay you are the key. Sushi Bar!

On 9/13/2017 at 11:50 AM, amsterrock said:

I played this with my kids this past weekend and  we had a blast!  Thanks, amsterrock!

• Upvote 1

Backgammon is a great game if you actually wager on it. The stakes don't have to be high. Ten dollars a point. The luck element means an amateur has a shot at winning.

• Upvote 2

I’m slowly building up my board game library. I started watching TableTop with Wil Weaton and I got hooked. Pandemic and Betrayal at House on the Hill are two of my favorites in my collection.

• Upvote 3

Having played it a lot in the last week, Seven Wonders as an iPad game as opposed to the tabletop version is a revelation!

Love its physical version, don't get me wrong, but suddenly you can play the whole thing through in like 10-15 minutes. And without either a) someone being slow and holding you up, or b) everyone else getting grumpy cos you are being slow and holding them up!

• Upvote 2

I love Catan!  We also play Ticket to Ride, Rumikub and Risk with our boys.  I like strategy and thinking games especially when I get outsmarted by my 10 year old who is already researching which law school he plans on going to.

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, softfruit said:

Having played it a lot in the last week, Seven Wonders as an iPad game as opposed to the tabletop version is a revelation!

Love its physical version, don't get me wrong, but suddenly you can play the whole thing through in like 10-15 minutes. And without either a) someone being slow and holding you up, or b) everyone else getting grumpy cos you are being slow and holding them up!

Haha yes, I am usually that person who has worked out an intricate decision tree in my head, only to be snapped out of it by irritated throat clearing and realize I've done nothing with the physical cards. Does it come in an Android version?

2 hours ago, ChemFem said:

Does it come in an Android version?

iPad version came out at the end of last month - the Android version is due out 20 December.  So... nearly!

• Upvote 1

I just got the oregon trail playing cars. we ll see if that s any good at family christmas play day. 

Ticket to Ride Europe, Munchkin and Carcassonne are my favourites 

Yes! I watch Tabletop as well.  Settlers of Catan, Dominion, Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, Scythe, Munchkin....

Growing up, we always played board games (mostly in the winter). We played Pay Day mostly, but also Aggravation, Sorry, Clue, and Life are just a few. I can remember how my grandpa had to always get 2 cars because he would have tons of babies, LoL. Here is a picture of some of the board games I have. Also, any person I'm with will need to like playing board games.

20180812_210306.jpg

Edited by Nidalaeh

King of Tokyo and its expansion sets is pretty awesome.  I play it with my 11 year old and my husband.  After getting the hang of the rules and gameplay we can play a game in under 30 minutes.  I highly recommend it!   We have had friends come over for dinner and have even gotten them into playing it with us because it is pretty easy to learn, doesn't take much time to play, and involves strategy.

I am a big fan of the newer style board games. My latest two purchases are Splendor (tile and card picking) and Massive Darkness (a cooperative dungeon-crawl). My absolute favourite of all time takes all day to play: Twilight Imperium III.

How do people feel about "legacy" games?  If you've not tried them it's boardgames where the result of playing the first game changes what it says on the cards, can mean the board changes or you rip up certain cards and can never use them again, so whether you win or lose one time changes what the game is like to play every time thereafter.

I've played Pandemic Legacy 1 & 2 last year and for all we get a lot of play time out of them, it feels wrong to be ripping up / changing the playing cards and things.  I think it's a mix of growing up poor and not being able to afford to replace things if I destroyed them, and eco-guilt about throwing away parts of a game rather than reusing them.

I think I am really old school. I love board games and card games. I don't own a gaming console nor have I since I was a preteen. (Gameboy 1989 style and Atari 1980s style) 

So the "board" or "card" games I love utmost are chess and gin rummy. But I have played many variations of board and card games. 

No offense to those who are gamers I just am not interested. And I have played games on Wii and Nintendo 360 but don't own for a reason - I love the outdoors.

It took me awhile to get the hang of it, but I enjoy Pandemic.