Aqua

What's Your Highest Level Of Education?

42 posts in this topic

I was reading an article about successful gay men and it got me wondering.. is there a trend in education levels for LGBT members?

Thought I would start the topic here.. what's your highest level of education and do you see a trend in the career level of your LGBT friends?

I have a MA in Mass Communication. However, I am not working in that field unfortunately.

I have a degree in Massage Therapy. Though with my illness, I am mid-re enrolling to get my BA in Computer Science. Aside from that, I like to learn and I do all sorts of small lessons on places like Udemy, Skillshare etc.

I have a science degree

High-school grad.

Bachelor's in nursing

I have a Bachelors in English with a writing Minor. I am working on my second Bachelors in Business Management.

I'm a bit different.... I didn't even complete high school. I don't know about trends, we don't have any LGBT where I live. (small town), The few gay people about are in a variety of jobs.

I unfortunately never finished my BA, but sometimes I think about going back and completing it.

it's funny cause in some places/countries employers avoid "overqualified" (too highly educated) candidates. I'm working on my second Master's. And I know some people who got another degree for pleasure or for work

Bachelor degree in science and a Master's in Library and Information Science

Bachelors in Economics and International Commerce

Bachelors in Politics and Energy Security

Masters in Politics and International Diplomacy.

Given my friends (both gay and straight) range from uni, general social circle and colleagues at various companies I've worked at most are highly educated

or have 1 - 2 degrees and have quite a bit of technical experience to balance it out.

I was reading an article about successful gay men and it got me wondering.. is there a trend in education levels for LGBT members?

Thought I would start the topic here.. what's your highest level of education and do you see a trend in the career level of your LGBT friends?

I've got a BSc in Economics & Computing and I'm currently studying part-time for my Masters in Machine Learning.

The LGBT friends I've got (well more G than anything else! :D) have degrees... not sure if it's a trend, just probably due to being around similar people...

Interestingly, I was reading an article the other day about the potential correlation between intelligence and homosexuality since homosexuals have, on average, higher incomes/education levels (that was the article's premise; I don't think income/education are necessarily indicators of intelligence since wealth can be inherited and well, Einstein was a D student!). Anyway, the conclusion of the study was that it probably wasn't the case since it may simply be that those with higher incomes/education may feel more comfortable coming out of the closet or that gays who live in smaller towns may want to escape to the city where they'll be accepted and so are incentivised to work harder (American-based study, so again flawed from a global perspective).

I think I agree with the conclusion of the study - that there is no link; even though I think their methods/premises were flawed.

I have a dual bachelors degree and I got an additional diploma after that.

I've always wanted a Masters & PhD but since completing my Bachelors, I keep wondering if it's worth it or if I should just learn the material on my own. I know it mostly depends on what you want to do with your career, so that's why I keep going back and forth. :P

I have a dual bachelors degree and I got an additional diploma after that.

I've always wanted a Masters & PhD but since completing my Bachelors, I keep wondering if it's worth it or if I should just learn the material on my own. I know it mostly depends on what you want to do with your career, so that's why I keep going back and forth. :P

Hmm tricky to provide feedback on re the Masters. I did it because I honestly felt I needed to update my theory and blend that into my day to day work

experience. Plus with a lot more well educated people out there having 2 Bachelors, a Masters or indeed PhD helps you get noticed with headhunters / on yr CV.

I opted out of the MBA because I didn't see how it would add value to my area of expertise. So really entirely up to you!

I opted out of the MBA because I didn't see how it would add value to my area of expertise. So really entirely up to you!

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, MBA was one I was considering briefly but then a friend went through a well-renowned program and I helped him a bit with some assignments (mostly due to language barriers) and got to look at some textbooks, and the whole thing seemed the same level as my bachelors, so I quickly scratched that off my list.

MFA I know is a requirement (as opposed to an MA or any other type) to teach an art industry course at the college level.

Many, though not all industries, like you said, will get you noticed more and get your CV bumped to the top of the list. A lot of those in industries that I've considered (such as sciences or therapy) seem to also require a PhD or additional higher level, but are overall more difficult industries to enter, especially later in life.

Just lots of things I've been considering over the years. :D

Bachelor's in Child Development.

Some college but no degree. 

Associates in Business Management and finishing Bachelors in Business Admin/Finance

Bachelor's of science in exercise science (kinesiology), plan on going for my master's more than likely not sure in what yet