babs*

I Am Desperate For Advice!

15 posts in this topic

I have a problem I have been dealing with for I think most of the year. It's painful and difficult to get rid of. Nail fungus! On my big toe. Have any of you ladies successfully treated yourself for this problem? I have been using tea tree oil but I am not sure how to tell if it's working. I know whatever treatment that works will take months to cure it. I want to ask the doctor for medication but I am afraid I can't afford to pay for it. Please, if you have had success with this, please share. I feel embarrassed about this but surely I'm not alone.

I have a problem I have been dealing with for I think most of the year. It's painful and difficult to get rid of. Nail fungus! On my big toe. Have any of you ladies successfully treated yourself for this problem? I have been using tea tree oil but I am not sure how to tell if it's working. I know whatever treatment that works will take months to cure it. I want to ask the doctor for medication but I am afraid I can't afford to pay for it. Please, if you have had success with this, please share. I feel embarrassed about this but surely I'm not alone.

Mate don't feel embarrassed it's pretty common. Sorry I have never had it but your local Pharmacist should get your something over the counter. Anti-fungal creams are usually the go.

I had nail fungus two years ago on a few toes. Went to a doctor who prescribed an antibiotic called Terbinafine. One tablet a day, it took about 2 months to properly clear up. I paid around £8 for the prescription ($10). Have no idea about medical costs in USA.

Also, I remember the doctor telling me that creams aren't effective. You do need an antibiotic to kill of the infection that causes the fungus.

I've pills from my doc for that.

6months, but got 1 month left.

Working well. So far

Nail bed infections may be very difficult to cure - it can take from months to years and tea tree oil is not likely to do it. Left untreated it will spread to other toes. There are many over-the-counter treatments available in the $10 - $30 range. I recommend speaking to a pharmacist. If one of otc treatments does not cure it, there really is no choice but to consult a Dr. who will likely prescribe an oral antifungal agent.

How to tell it's working? It takes time, but you should eventually start to see healthy nail growth coming through.

Hope this helps. :)

Thanks Ladies. I will talk to the pharmacist and next time I go to the doctor I will ask for an rx for the oral meds. At least to try and find out the price. I sure don't want this crap on any other toes. One is bad enough!

Good news, I priced the terbinafine and I think I can get it for $10 a month. I can't wait to go see the nurse practitioner.

Look at Walmart/Target - it looks like they have it on the $4 drug list. Not that $10 is all that much, but $4 is even less :)

I will definitely check. Sams club had it on the $10 list

Glad you could get the medication it took me 2 months of the antibiotic. Keep up with the tea tree as well. I think it made the difference and consult a podiatrist as well.

My doctor said the pills are bad for my liver. Sigh. I plan to talk to the nail salon and see if they have anything that really works.

My doctor said the pills are bad for my liver. Sigh. I plan to talk to the nail salon and see if they have anything that really works.

Yes I was told they can cause problems, but its then only think She KNOWS works,

I did have a nail varnish first, that was ok but would talk so much longer