Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Norse Goddess

Reporting Spammers: Procedural Query

38 posts in this topic

When I notice a weird gobbledegook post full of spam links, is it correct that I then need to view the individual (spammer's) profile, click on link to report them, and then type in something like "suspicious post activities" or "spam links" or something?

I've done this a few times now. I think because if my time zone I sometimes see these posts before other members would, and I'm worried about following correct protocols out of respect to the poor admins that need to process all this.

I just want to check the way I'm doing it is correct. I'm still a newbie here, but these spammers are the bane of the Net, and I want to play my part as best as I can in getting rid of these predators.

Thanks.

When I notice a weird gobbledegook post full of spam links, is it correct that I then need to view the individual (spammer's) profile, click on link to report them, and then type in something like "suspicious post activities" or "spam links" or something?

Yes. :)

If a legit member has visited the profile before you, it has probably already been reported.

You are correct. Report the profile, not the posts. I would still submit a report if someone else has, just in case, though as GL said, it's probably already been reported.

So it's ok that multiple members report the same profile?

Yes. Mods will get notified each time, but better to have multiple reports than none.

We get to the reports as quick as possible. We all have full time jobs as well and we take care of the fourms

when we are home.

All we can do is what the mods have asked us to do to report the profile of the spammer not the thread that they spam on. They seem to be really active on the hours that are off for most. I've noticed it when I'm up at 1am to 3am my time but for them in their places where they're at, they're probably just getting to work and that's their job.

The mods are doing their best to take care of it as quickly as possible and hopefully after many attempts, the spammers will realize that this site is not a good site to post to because they'll get shut down quickly. Just have patience ladies, they're doing the best they can given that the admin is missing and can not modify the spam filters.

I have a question, it's not really related to this thread I suppose so probably doesn't belong here, but I'm just curious....I've seen many posts since I've been here talking about the admin being mia and that's the reason for some of the issues the site is experiencing. Who exactly is the admin? And how long have they been missing? I'm guessing the admin would have to approve more mods? I'm not sure how many there are, I'm only aware of a small few, but they must be getting pretty annoyed with all the upkeep of the site. It appears to be a lot of work for a small group of people, now that's commitment for ya. Lucky for us, these mods have stuck around and commited their time to keeping this site up and running and safe for its members, hats off to the mods for that BTW. I know some of the members are getting annoyed with all the recent spam, but given the amount of it, I think the mods have been doing a pretty damn good job of taking care of it. I'm just happy to be here, even if occasionally my news feed is filled with spam.....small price to pay for good company

We get to the reports as quick as possible. We all have full time jobs as well and we take care of the fourms

when we are home.

You mean this site isn't your whole life? You don't spend 24/7 with your eyes glued to the screen of your computer? ;)

Thanks everyone. The first time I reported someone I felt like I might be wasting the mods' time, but then I realised my time zone probably puts me at the advantage of seeing the spammers first. I will continue to report the profiles as required (and not the posts).

I know that the mods have a difficult job keeping on top of the spammers, and fully appreciate that we all have our own lives to lead. I wasn't insinuating that they aren't being dealt with quickly enough, but trying to clarify the process I can follow to do my part.

Yes. Mods will get notified each time, but better to have multiple reports than none.

Good to know, I've noticed that I've followed you onto some of the spam profiles and I've still reported even though I was certain you already had.

Thanks everyone. The first time I reported someone I felt like I might be wasting the mods' time, but then I realised my time zone probably puts me at the advantage of seeing the spammers first. I will continue to report the profiles as required (and not the posts).

I know that the mods have a difficult job keeping on top of the spammers, and fully appreciate that we all have our own lives to lead. I wasn't insinuating that they aren't being dealt with quickly enough, but trying to clarify the process I can follow to do my part.

I'm sorry, I wasn't implying that you personally have been dissatisfied with the spam issue, I've just noticed that it's a hot topic lately and I've seen a few comments from members who seem to be annoyed. I apologize if it sounded liked like I was referring to you.

I'm just a little curious who the admin is that I keep reading about and what's the story around (her) absence.

So it's ok that multiple members report the same profile?

Actually if more than one person reports the same spammer we just get one notification with the number of reports next to it. So even if a hundred shybi members report the same spammer we will only get one report. So please don't worry about whether or not others have beaten you to it.

I have a question, it's not really related to this thread I suppose so probably doesn't belong here, but I'm just curious....I've seen many posts since I've been here talking about the admin being mia and that's the reason for some of the issues the site is experiencing. Who exactly is the admin? And how long have they been missing? I'm guessing the admin would have to approve more mods? I'm not sure how many there are, I'm only aware of a small few, but they must be getting pretty annoyed with all the upkeep of the site. It appears to be a lot of work for a small group of people, now that's commitment for ya. Lucky for us, these mods have stuck around and commited their time to keeping this site up and running and safe for its members, hats off to the mods for that BTW. I know some of the members are getting annoyed with all the recent spam, but given the amount of it, I think the mods have been doing a pretty damn good job of taking care of it. I'm just happy to be here, even if occasionally my news feed is filled with spam.....small price to pay for good company

The admin is called la femme. She is the owner and sole administrator of shys. She is the only one who has access to the admin panel where she can update spam filters, update software and appoint moderators. The full list of moderators can be found here http://www.shybi.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=stats&do=leaders

Unfortunately not all these mods are active though. There tends to be only a few of us active and banning spammers. On a bad day I can ban maybe 30+ spammers. We desperately need more mods, the workload is getting ridiculous, but alas there's nothing we can do about it except to keep plugging at it.

Actually if more than one person reports the same spammer we just get one notification with the number of reports next to it. So even if a hundred shybi members report the same spammer we will only get one report. So please don't worry about whether or not others have beaten you to it.

Good to know, thanks

The admin is called la femme. She is the owner and sole administrator of shys. She is the only one who has access to the admin panel where she can update spam filters, update software and appoint moderators. The full list of moderators can be found here http://www.shybi.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=stats&do=leaders

Unfortunately not all these mods are active though. There tends to be only a few of us active and banning spammers. On a bad day I can ban maybe 30+ spammers. We desperately need more mods, the workload is getting ridiculous, but alas there's nothing we can do about it except to keep plugging at it.

So nobody knows where she is, when or if she's coming back, or how to contact her? That's a shame, this is a great site, I would hate to see it fall apart

So nobody knows where she is, when or if she's coming back, or how to contact her? That's a shame, this is a great site, I would hate to see it fall apart

Agreed. I know mods have mentioned in other posts that they've tried to reach her in every way they know how.

I'm sorry, I wasn't implying that you personally have been dissatisfied with the spam issue, I've just noticed that it's a hot topic lately and I've seen a few comments from members who seem to be annoyed. I apologize if it sounded liked like I was referring to you.

I'm just a little curious who the admin is that I keep reading about and what's the story around (her) absence.

That's okay. I was hoping I wasn't coming across as being cranky about the spammers rearing their ugly heads :) I don't even have Facebook anymore because of the time it takes to sort through that, I can only imagine how difficult being a mod here must be.

In private Facebook groups I have come across for particular specific interests, membership is only granted after you answer an email to a mod on topic: an interview of sorts.

But perhaps that us something that the SB Admin must create, rather than the mods; I've never had the time to understand how these forums work, let alone volunteer to help run one.

I spoke to someone a little while back who knows the admin and seems to be under the impression that she has lost interest in taking care of the upkeep of the site but don't quote me on that because only she can confirm that. I hope that whatever has kept her away for so long will bring her back to us and to the site. Know one knows her circumstances or what she's going through in her personal life, maybe she's just been busy with her family and decided to take an extended break for whatever reason from taking care of the site. It would be nice for her to return or maybe consider handing the site over to someone else who might like to take care of the admin duties.

For now we have the mods and the report button and they are doing all they can to keep the site functioning for those of us who enjoy being here on a regular basis. Eventually the spammers will get tired of trying because their ip addresses are what they use to post all that junk so if the ip addresses are banned they won't be able to continue to post or create new spammer names. Thanks mods for all you do, I owe mine and net's happiness to this site.

I spoke to someone a little while back who knows the admin and seems to be under the impression that she has lost interest in taking care of the upkeep of the site but don't quote me on that because only she can confirm that. I hope that whatever has kept her away for so long will bring her back to us and to the site. Know one knows her circumstances or what she's going through in her personal life, maybe she's just been busy with her family and decided to take an extended break for whatever reason from taking care of the site. It would be nice for her to return or maybe consider handing the site over to someone else who might like to take care of the admin duties.

For now we have the mods and the report button and they are doing all they can to keep the site functioning for those of us who enjoy being here on a regular basis. Eventually the spammers will get tired of trying because their ip addresses are what they use to post all that junk so if the ip addresses are banned they won't be able to continue to post or create new spammer names. Thanks mods for all you do, I owe mine and net's happiness to this site.

Agreed, everyone has their own personal reasons for their decisions, and she's certainly entitled to that. But you're right, it would be great if she handed over the admin responsibilities to someone else if she no longer has interest. My thought is, there are very few active mods as it is, what happens if they eventually lose interest too. And to clarify, I don't know any of these mods personally so I can't say if that's even possible. Spam or no spam, the site is doomed without mods

That's okay. I was hoping I wasn't coming across as being cranky about the spammers rearing their ugly heads :) I don't even have Facebook anymore because of the time it takes to sort through that, I can only imagine how difficult being a mod here must be.

In private Facebook groups I have come across for particular specific interests, membership is only granted after you answer an email to a mod on topic: an interview of sorts.

But perhaps that us something that the SB Admin must create, rather than the mods; I've never had the time to understand how these forums work, let alone volunteer to help run one.

I can't even imagine how much extra work that would put on the mod team. There aren't many of us still active and we are unpaid volunteers.

Edited by satehen

Is there a back up? I mean I know that someone has to pay for hosting and for the URL so depending on how long she has been gone the site may just disappear one day of it has not been paid for. I would hate to loose contact and I have no contact with anyone (minus the GF) outside of this site. If it goes down I will loose all of you forever. :(

I would totally volunteer but I am only here once every few weeks. When I am done with school I will gladly help.

I hope not. I think our donors go a long way to paying the fees.

Right, but from someone who is a site owner it has to come out of a bank account and is not always on auto pay, does that make sense? So like if I didn't pay my fees yearly my domain was shut down so if the owner is MIA the money may jut be going into an account and sitting there. Does that make sense? Or is there an admin assuring it gets paid? That's why I was wondering if there was someone that maybe we all have access to via email if the site does go down.