Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Desi

5K Training!

11 posts in this topic

Hi ladies!

I've decided to do my first 5k, and it's only a month away. I do go to the gym several times a week, where I do cardio, weights, etc. I also attempt to stay active on the days that I don't go to the gym. Does anyone have any tips or additional training tips to make this as painless as possible?

5k is pretty easy sonit shouldn't be bad, key is just consistency. There are 5k apps that train. You to run a 5k. Bitri runs the big races, I am sure she will have tips.

Check out Couch 2 5k. It's a run-walk program to get you ready for a 5k. Have you been running at all, or are you new to running? I would plan to run/walk the course with planned walk intervals so that you don't end up with shin splints or other injuries.

Also, compression sleeeves and good shoes!

Yes to good shoes. Go to a running store like Fleet Feet or Road Runner Sports or whatever your local running store is, and get fitted. Good shoes don't come cheap, but neither do X-rays or MRIs when you injure yourself wearing $40 shoes. You probably don't need compression stuff yet; that would be more important as you get into longer distances.

Nothing new on race day. No new foods, clothes, shoes, water bottles, anything you haven't tried and tested.

Avoid hard runs the week before the race. A good race plan will have a taper in it before the race, and for a 5k, a one week taper is sufficient.

If you can, train on the race course, or on similar terrain. Pore through the website for the race to gather all the info you can.

also do NOT train on a treadmill if you plan to run outside, you will jack your body up fast.

Couch to 5k has helped most of my friends go from newbie runners to race enthusiasts, index to recommend it x

I /used/ to run outside regularly but that was about ten years ago, and I've been running on the treadmill but have recently started running on the foot path around my neighbourhood instead. I'm going to have company onowhich the day, which should help quite a bit in keeping me motivated as well as pacing myself.

I've tried couch 2 5k, but it's an eight week program..undecided if I should jump in the middle of that or just continue as I am right now!

I'm not terribly worried about finish time or anything of the sort right now as it's my first..just looking to be as prepared as possible. I think it's definitely going to be a learning experience for me, but I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for your advice ladies!

I started running in January, the couch to 5k is a great app. I also joined a local running group with ladies at all different stages, check out online if there are any groups near you.

Edited by #No1Crush

I really recommend couch to 5k app, too. I went from a totally unfit woman with high BP to running 5-10kms every day. I am currently immobile while waiting for a hip replacement (completely unrelated to running) and miss my morning runs so much. You can get some great MP3 playlists to match whatever stage you are up to as well.

Ooh I'm going to take a look at this app. I love running but I struggle to find motivation sometimes.. maybe this will help