Confusedin2013

Calling All Nurses

19 posts in this topic

Just wondering your experience. I live in the south. The longer I work in the hospital the more I feel like I live in gay/lesbo land. I swear half the nurses are gay/lesbian. Some are married to each other but started dating at the hospital. Many were in Hetero relationships before. Anyone else experience this? It's crazy. In my area there is so much homorphobia I feel like however so my GF was talking to a lesbian couple and they told her they moved to this city because they are "very gay friendly". She said she has helped way more lesbian couples living here then she did it Cali! FYI her bank is directly across the street from the hospital I work at lol.

Maybe I don't notice it much because I'm in L&D. I think I'm the only lesbian or bi woman (that I know of, anyway) in L&D/NICU/PP. I don't know, offhand, any couples in our wing, but I know of a few hetero couples elsewhere in the hospital. A few of our OBs are lesbians.

Even when I worked at a very large unit in San Francisco, I didn't know of any other nurses that were LGBT, except our LVN scrub tech.

It's so weird! I work in pedis and it's a very small floor, at least two lesbians one just left but she is married to a girl that works on another floor. There are many on the cardiology floor as well and a few on ortho. Maybe it's my hospital lol.

Edited by Confusedin2013

It's so weird! I work in pedis and it's a very small floor, at least two lesbians one just left but she is married to a girl that works on another floor. There are many on the cardiology floor as well and a few on ortho. Maybe it's my hospital lol.

If CA didn't pay so much more, maybe I'd head out there to join the fun! LOL

Lol. It's so weird, I am just so confused by this. I am considering leaving though, I applied for an L&D job closer to my house at a smaller hospital.

I know lots of gay/bi, swinger, bdsm type police, firemen, doctors and nurses but I also know lots of straight ones too. Makes no odds to me unless I am really interested in someone or they me. As far as I am concerned is that they do their job in works times, and I'll do mine. Sexuality is just a facet of the whole person

it obviously makes no difference to me, I was just wondering if the other nurses in the group had a similar experience or if it was just my hospital. I love being surrounded by gays LOL.

Not just you. I think my workplace has a gay magnet on the roof. It's a little strange, especially since I live in a conservative area.

My last job wasn't quite as good, but there were still a number of people openly not-straight in a small facility.

It is so weird seeing this contrasted with BiTriMama, who works in San Francisco.

Edited by moonbynight

Not just you. I think my workplace has a gay magnet on the roof. It's a little strange, especially since I live in a conservative area.

My last job wasn't quite as good, but there were still a number of people openly not-straight in a small facility.

It is so weird seeing this contrasted with BiTriMama, who works in San Francisco.

I think part of it in my case is my specialty. Not a lot of gay women in women's services, at least in my limited experience.

I work ortho/ sports med .. I don't think we have a disproportionate number of bi or lesbian nurses but I would differently say their are a big percent of the girls we have in p.t. and athletic training seem to be lesbian or bi.

I think part of it in my case is my specialty. Not a lot of gay women in women's services, at least in my limited experience.

That doesn't even match with my experience - I had several years of experience as a volunteer in L&D before becoming a nurse, and knew a bunch of not-straight people. This was in Northern California, though not the Bay Area.

I'm not trying to argue. I'm sure you're being totally accurate about your work environment. I can also see how people working in L&D might be a bit more inclined to be discreet about their sexuality.

I just find it hilarious that I'm in the rural, middle of nowhere, Trump-voter land with gay co-workers coming out my ears, and you're in the gayest city in US and don't.

(If you're looking at pay vs. cost of living, look at the Sacramento area. Nurse wages are very influenced by the Bay Area, but the cost of living is way lower.)

That doesn't even match with my experience - I had several years of experience as a volunteer in L&D before becoming a nurse, and knew a bunch of not-straight people. This was in Northern California, though not the Bay Area.

I'm not trying to argue. I'm sure you're being totally accurate about your work environment. I can also see how people working in L&D might be a bit more inclined to be discreet about their sexuality.

I just find it hilarious that I'm in the rural, middle of nowhere, Trump-voter land with gay co-workers coming out my ears, and you're in the gayest city in US and don't.

(If you're looking at pay vs. cost of living, look at the Sacramento area. Nurse wages are very influenced by the Bay Area, but the cost of living is way lower.)

Now you have me curious where in NorCal! I grew up way north of where I am now.

You're right about Sac. I'm stuck where I am for the foreseeable future due to custody, but eventually I may move closer to the mountains and work in Sac. We'll see.

CNA in working in Home health care field. I work for two different companys and to my knowledge

I am the only Lesbian working for the company's. I don't even tell my clients since most are old school

and don't like bi sexual or lesbians taking care of them. Most of them just think i have a hubby lol.

On 4/26/2017 at 11:34 PM, moonbynight said:

Where are you now? Trump area here too.

1 hour ago, Confusedin2013 said:

Where are you now? Trump area here too.

That's confidential information :) But nowhere near the deep south. 

(I don't particularly care if anyone identifies me, but if they recognized me, they'd easily be able to identify other people I talk about sometimes, and I don't want that.)

I'm an RN but work in an administrative position now for a large health system in the west. I've found that the LGBT ratios are highly influenced by the hiring manager for a particular department or division.

If the hiring manager is Kesbian, then there is a higher number of lesbians. . . And so forth.

naturally people hire others who are similar and a good fit with the team. Therefore, it is difficult to determine the number of LGBT in particular hospitals or areas of the country. 

I for one would like to know how drastically the ratio/percentage of, let's say Lesbian, workers are in a department with a Lesbian hiring manager vs. departments that have a heterosexual hiring manager. 

That's interesting. As far as I know the floors that have a high lesbian/gay ratio the directors are not gay, they do however flock together lol

20 hours ago, FlirtyFriend said:

I for one would like to know how drastically the ratio/percentage of, let's say Lesbian, workers are in a department with a Lesbian hiring manager vs. departments that have a heterosexual hiring manager. 

It is definitely not quite that simple where I work.

I've found that regardless of where I go or what specialty I work in, nurses are always down for an open conversation about sexuality. I've worked in cardiology, home health, geriatrics, ER, ICU, Cath Lab, and psych. Nurses have a conditioned comfort level with the human body as healthcare workers, perform head-to-toe assessments, ask total strangers deeply personal and invasive questions about their daily lives, including sex, and often perform procedures on a regular basis that involve exposure to the most private areas of a person, for instance, putting in a foley catheter.

So there is a comfort level that develops over time that makes for a better nurse. I mean, who wants a nurse putting a catheter in you that acts like they're afraid of what they're about to do? Nurses must perform their duties with confidence! They must know what they're doing! So, I've found that even if they're straight, most will have a frank conversation with me about anything.