Becky

Does Anybody Do Hiit Workouts?

Have just started doing hiit workouts, does anybody else? Can I get everything I need from this alone or does it need to be combined with other forms?

It's one great method to use, but shouldn't be the only thing you're doing. I would do HIIT maybe twice a week, but do other stuff a few other days a week. The more you can mix it up, the more balanced you will be. No one form of exercise should be relied upon as your sole form. Cross training is very important to keep imbalances to a minimum. It'll also help stave off boredom.

I enjoy HIIT, and I do that occasionally, along with CrossFit, running or hiking trails, biking, and other miscellaneous.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the advice! I've always fancied CrossFit, I'll look into it. Fancy a bit of boxing too. I'll mix it up a bit, I do get bored with exercise quite easily. Thanks again =) 

• Upvote 1

I do Crossfit as well. Boredom being a problem for me when following a fitness routine.. I've been going now for two years and the daily changes in workouts mean I'm never bored ! 

Also really love learning the barbell lifts. Something I've never done before. Still a bit of a duffer and come in last regularly in workouts. But I don't really mind and neither does anyone else. I'm 200% fitter than I was when I started that's for sure.  

• Upvote 2

Sounds good to me, I think I'll give CrossFit a go, if you're not bored after two years it must be good! The only single exercise I stuck at for that long was kickboxing, that was a long time ago though and I'm sure I would have had a lot more energy! 

Were you quite fit when you started it? Or can you start in any shape? I'm quite healthy but wouldn't say I was particularly strong

• Upvote 1

@Becky Nope. I did got to my local rowing club for a years but their training sessions tended to focus a lot on rowing technique and ergo's. Being from Scotland the slightest hint of even fair weather meant we out on the water. So there wasn't a lot of strength training.  Also the usual round of trying out yoga and spin classes over the years getting bored after a few months.

Let's put it this way. My first Crossfit session I made it through one and a half warm ups ( they do two before the real workout ) before they stopped me.I was gasping for air lol.  I couldn't do a sit up without dumbbells under my feet and to start the lifts I used a pvc pipe. Graduating to an empty bar before adding weights. Two years on doing everything everyone else is. Choosing my own weights and scaling exercises to suit. I don't do box jumps, I step up/down instead. And there are others who do the same ( one doesn't do kettle bell swings due to a shoulder problem etc ). I keep just about up with everyone else, and even when I'm last it's fine as they are all now good friends. Nothing brings people closer together than a good whinge before and after a workout !

I've lost a stone and a half with no changing of my diet. And I have a waist again that I thought had gone for good after having my children. My legs and arms are also now also much firmer with real muscles rather than just gaining flabbing out gaining more cellulite as they were two years back. I don't look like a rugby player or super slim, I do though look much better than I did.  And I've NEVER been bored at the thought of going there since the workout changes daily.

It's tough, well it was for me. Ego left at the door and all that. But it's done and dusted under an hour and I know I've worked HARD. My big red tomato face everytime I leave testifies to that. :ashamed0005:

• Upvote 3

As a former fitness competitor, I believe the most common mistake women make in fitness planning is that they don't include any weight training or not enough weight training. I agree with what  BiTeiMama stated; HIITs should only be part of your plan. 

As females age it seems like our curves start looking more flat and body parts start to lose definition: flat glutes, flat quads, etc. Building muscle and keeping a lower body fat percentage equals leaner and healthier looking curves.  

I'm not a trainer, but my coach would tell you to mix steady state cardio with bursts or HIITs and lift weights starting 3 days a week and work up to 5 days a week. Make sure to do cardio after weight training. A great resource is the magazine Muscle and Fitness Hers, which is a true fitness competitor magazine and not like shape or others that give generalities and thrive on gimmick workouts. 

• Upvote 3

LaFemme, that sounds horrendous! :lol:  but I think I'll give it a go. At least now I know that if I need to start with a pvc pipe I don't need to be too disheartened. And it's nice to see a big red tomato face, there's nothing like an immaculate full face of make up after a workout to make you feel demoralised :D

Thanks for the advice Flirty, you said to lift weights starting 3 days a week ,would CrossFit have that part covered or would you need to lift weights as well as that? 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Becky said:

LaFemme, that sounds horrendous! :lol:  but I think I'll give it a go. At least now I know that if I need to start with a pvc pipe I don't need to be too disheartened. And it's nice to see a big red tomato face, there's nothing like an immaculate full face of make up after a workout to make you feel demoralised :D

Thanks for the advice Flirty, you said to lift weights starting 3 days a week ,would CrossFit have that part covered or would you need to lift weights as well as that? 

CrossFit workouts generally include a weight training component, and it will be very different from anything you've done before!  You'll see people of every level there, and the coaches will walk you through everything to keep you safe and help you maximize your experience.  They even have multiple barbells of different weights so you can graduate up in bars!  Some workouts are harder than others, but one of the biggest things about it is that it's intended to help you do EVERYTHING better (hence CROSS FIT- fitter across the board).  We've had workouts where it will be going back and forth between something like double unders and overhead barbell squats for time.  Killer stuff!

• Upvote 1

Wall ball squats... euuurgh.. I curse my petite 5ft 0 genes everytime those come up.  But get to smirk a bit at the 6ft'rs when it's burpee time.... :P

• Upvote 1

So what is HIIT? I've seen it listed under group fitness classes and was thinking of going since it fits my schedule, but the description is pretty minimal.

I guess you could say skating for hockey is like HIIT...short bursts of intense cardio...and carrying an extra 15 pounds of gear...that will get your heart rate up.

Posted (edited)
On 4/27/2017 at 4:37 PM, Becky said:

Have just started doing hiit workouts, does anybody else? Can I get everything I need from this alone or does it need to be combined with other forms?

HIIT is great . I personally crossfit 3-5 days per week and strength train in between . I probably should do more yoga  for flexibility . Cardio is factored into crossfit as well as HIIT when we have Tabata sessions . I believe balance in anything is the key. Everyone has a preference what works best for them . Good luck ! 

Edited by contessmed