ana

New website setup

19 posts in this topic

I know that protecting every member's personal information and identity is a high priority here. La-Femme and moderators have been working extremely hard to make this accessible. So thank you!!

I also know it's a work in progress. I've noticed that when I got to the website, before logging in, I can see member's posts and shoutbox entries. I couldn't find a way to change my privacy settings to make sure my posts aren't available to the general public.

Has anyone else noticed this? is concerned about it?

I'm sure the moderators will address this and other people's questions/concerns.

Some parts of the forum are hidden from non-members and some are not. If it was all hidden, search engines would not be able to index the site and potential new members would not be able to see anything, even if they could find the site in the first place. So, unless you only choose to post in areas that are not available to non-members, some of your content will always be visible.

@ana There's a lot of stuff going on in the background just now rebuilding content, and getting the forums back to where they were before the upgrade. The chatbox is a new app and should really be used for anything much other than general chit chat. Certainly nothing which could be considered sensitive info, which in any case you're not ( or shouldn't be ! :blink: ) posting under any indentifiable info anywhere online. Lots of forums which are still appearing as normal for users right now, are actually waiting for a background task to move, merge or delete them. Either into other forums or for the mods and myself to start afresh with. Some have extremely outdated and/or info in them which sometimes goes all the way back to 2006 !

Unfortunately the forum upgrade stalled for a few days behind the scenes and a load of tasks the upgrade still has to complete are still ongoing including the shift about of old forums and data ( last on the list ! ). Shouldn't be long now. Hope this helps and please bear with me. I've had a mare of a time with these tasks. :wacko:

Hi Ladies. Any update on how things are progressing with updating some of the forums and site info so that they are visible to signed-in members only? 

On 5/3/2017 at 1:46 PM, ana said:

I know that protecting every member's personal information and identity is a high priority here. La-Femme and moderators have been working extremely hard to make this accessible. So thank you!!

I also know it's a work in progress. I've noticed that when I got to the website, before logging in, I can see member's posts and shoutbox entries. I couldn't find a way to change my privacy settings to make sure my posts aren't available to the general public.

Has anyone else noticed this? is concerned about it?

I'm sure the moderators will address this and other people's questions/concerns.

Yes, I'm very concerned.  I would rather not have my posts and information available to the public.  I would feel much better if it could only be seen by members.

me too

I too think it would be more comforting if members only could access my profile and read my posts. I've accepted it as the only negative point I have about the site. That's not really any fault of this site, it's today's technology. As far as I'm aware, this isn't new, it was the case before the update as well. I guess the upside is that potential members can read through the forums and get a feel for what the site is all about before joining. 

Edited by Cute&Curious

It's not such an issue with posts if you ask me. You can just leave out personal info and not give your usename to non-members and be wary of giving personal info to those you do converse with here.

Some parts of the forum were always accessible to guests and since the new board was implemented there's less restriction. In some respects, this is due to the fact that how and what search engines index and what admin pays for to get the site to show up in the top searches so that folks can read and join. Times have changed online and more pages than before need to be visible to promote function and help her get her money's worth. 

That said, when I realized that profiles were visible that was my picture gone. I'm not too worried and never was, it's one thing to see someone's picture in a tiny circle next to threads it's another to put it next to personal statuses that are visible to the world - it's easier to connect dots whether people sign up or not.

I'd like to see profiles be made private again but other than that, we all have to be mindful that being online in general means you have limited anonymity these days and this place is no different. With further updates hopefully they'll be more customization to ensure that members can have a little privacy for example 50 posts is a bit high, but 5 posts etc before opening the shout or PM cos some people come to hook up and chat in a manner that doesn't reflect a support site and it saves the mods repeating the rules etc if it's locked.

Edited by Hungry

The membership list and profiles definitely should not be available to spiders and visitors... and it should be as simple as throwing a switch on the back-end to solve this particular issue.

As I pointed out before and as @Hungry has just re-iterated, without content being visible the site will not be spidered and indexed. If the site is not indexed it can not be found and effectively ceases to exist.

So... if you're not happy with content being visible, your only option is to leave the site permanently.

4 hours ago, Golightly63 said:

The membership list and profiles definitely should not be available to spiders and visitors... and it should be as simple as throwing a switch on the back-end to solve this partihwcular issue.

As I pointeed out before and as @Hungry has just re-iterated, without content being visible the site will not be spidered and indexed. If the site is not indexed it can not be found and effectively ceases to exist.

So.. if you're not happy with content being visible, your only option is to leave the site permanently.

Also there would be no need for profiles to be crawled and indexed. Just basing this on my own updates it's not offering any value or context to the point of the site. I wish they made @Golightly63 an honorary mod just so she could say if you're not happy, then leave! :P I think it's perfectly easy enough for everyone to not post personal info and still ask and give advice in threads without there being an issue. 

Obviously for the time being nobody should post photos that belong them whether they're of you or not if you don't want your personal property to be seen by anyone who googles bisexuality and forums in the same search. 

Edited by Hungry
The difference between a and an folks.

20 minutes ago, Hungry said:

I wish they made @Golightly63 a honorary mod just so she could say if you're not happy, then leave! :P

I'm a highly trained bitch! No need for modhood... :hysterical:

1 hour ago, Golightly63 said:

I'm a highly trained bitch! No need for modhood... :hysterical:

Oh I know :P I think it's modship. We bring the hood. Oh and the humor!

But some parts of the forum are now visible to all which are not the same as the ones that were before.

I Agree that some places on the forum should be visible to all to make it searchable and easy to find for new people who may benefit from joining.

but can we have some kind of compromise? Can it be clearly marked which parts of the forum are visible and which are not. I figured out by trial and error that "relationship discussions" is the only one that's not visible to the general public.

it would be nice if this was clearly marked. It would also maybe be nice if a couple of more forums were not for general public.

Just some thoughts and suggestions on how to balance people's fears and the desire to be easy to find for new members.

I agree that it would be nice to have it clearly visible how public something is going to be. 

I was looking at the blog privacy settings today. It used to be that there were settings for public, board members, and a limited list of users. Now the only options are totally public or a limited list of users. Any chance we can get the option to make it visible to members back? 

I also wonder if people posting blogs realize that they're visible to anyone on the internet unless you set it otherwise. I didn't realize that for a long time.

27 minutes ago, moonbynight said:

I also wonder if people posting blogs realize that they're visible to anyone on the internet unless you set it otherwise. I didn't realize that for a long time.

That's a very good thing to know @moonbynight and I didn't realize that. My blog posts are mostly impersonal but many people write personal things that they probably don't want open to the whole internet!

5 minutes ago, celeste teal said:

That's a very good thing to know @moonbynight and I didn't realize that. My blog posts are mostly impersonal but many people write personal things that they probably don't want open to the whole internet!

Yep, I was pretty horrified when I realized it!

I hope this can be fixed - I like writing my ongoing stupid quasi-romantic relationship drama for an actual audience, but it certainly isn't intended for everyone on the internet who stumbles across it.

One thing that's been brought up is the financial necessity of things being visible. Would a mod please explain that a little more? I don't see ads on the site so the link between traffic and revenue is not immediately apparent.

On 9/28/2017 at 11:15 AM, ChemFem said:

One thing that's been brought up is the financial necessity of things being visible. Would a mod please explain that a little more? I don't see ads on the site so the link between traffic and revenue is not immediately apparent.

There are ads for people who aren't logged in. Public-visible threads help bring traffic from people searching, and many of those people will just read the thread or look through the public areas of the forum without making an account.

Got it, thanks for the explanation @moonbynight