4 posts in this topic

Being a bi-girl in a homophobic community can lead to some awkward situations.

My mom is convinced I'm just confused. My dad will never know because he'll kill me. My sister is a full blown lesbian, and if I ever tell her she'll laugh at me in my face.

I live in a community where the pastors discourage any form of homosexuality. They say that you'll go straight to hell if you've ever done anything homosexual. Of course, I have my own religious views, but feeling like the only bisexual in a whole town nevermind classroom is... Well, kind of depressing.

That feeling of isolation is not great! The truth is that you are highly likely not to be the only bisexual in the whole town, but it takes a whole lot of courage to come out especially when the core values of a community are in conflict with yours.

I'm new here but there are some lovely ladies more experienced than myself who I'm sure can help you feel far less alone in your journey. 

Just my opinion but i don't think you have to come out to anyone until you feel ready to deal with their reaction whatever it may be :-) 

Keep your chin up

I assure you most of us have felt alone in this journey at some point.  Just hang in there and you will be surprised in the long run how many of us there are around you.  Sometimes it good to just sit back and observe.  You can pick up on little things you might not have noticed before, hints from women that will let you know who it's safe to confide in and who will support you in the journey.  In small towns most people are very cautious,because news travels fast.  They need to know they can trust you with their secrets too.  

Your situation really isn't at all unusual... There are people all over the world in the same boat, living in a homophobic small-town situation... 

I'm from a large town in NJ, and back when I lived there (in the 1960-70s), it was very homophobic, although it was easy to see that there were bisexual and gay people everywhere. So, we all went to NYC in search of nightlife, and met other bi and gay people there...and, in fact, NYC is absolutely full of bi and gay people from different parts of the country, who have moved there to escape intolerance and homophobia, and to meet other likeminded people for friendship and romance...

So, don't forget that you don't have to stay where you are forever, and for now, if you can't move elsewhere, you can visit other towns or the closest city, and go to gay venues (bars and clubs) to meet people. If you can't do that, then make friends online... Being here is one step in that direction.