33 posts in this topic

I haven't seen anything on the site regarding a book club. I was wondering if any ladies would be interested in having one. One book a month or so (Maybe longer since some people don't have much time).

I am in! :drinks:

I'm in, that would be really cool!! 

Yes, what a great idea! Should we have themes? I kinda think it would be great to start conversations on subjects that people tend to avoid. :)

I might be interested if I knew more on how it would work.  Would people suggest books to read and then let people comment on what they thought of them or would you just submit comments on those you've read.   I read mostly mysteries and historical books which I'm sure most of those on Shybi might not find very interesting......   If reviews are expected basically what would be appreciate knowing about the book.

I go to an actual book club but think an online one would be great particularly as I'm going to have to stop going to the real life one when I start Uni in Sept!

I was thinking someone can suggest a book, we all read it and have a discussion about it. If anyone else have other suggestions, would appreciate it. I never organized something like this, just thought it would be fun

That's a great idea!!! I am in.

What genre? I read no particular genre but I am enjoying YA books lately. It's just so easy to read unlike the adult fiction books with most copious descriptions. Hahaha! If most members like adult fiction, I can do that, too. How about reading a book that is in the book award list (US and UK)? I did try a mission long time ago to read some of the books included in the Carnegie and Newberry Award for YA books. I stopped when I became pregnant. Now that my kids are in primary school, I'm back again and trying to accomplish my list. 

This is a great idea and I'd love to participate. I have an idea for a book but will gratefully accept whatever the group decides.

The book I'm thinking of is Herland, by Charlotte Perkins Gilman. It's a science fiction utopian novel about a society comprised solely of women and girls. It was written back in the early 20th century and is available for free on the internet in ereader formats and also in audiobook format. It's short, only 102 pages long, so won't take long to finish and it's somewhat timely as it was an inspiration for the society of Amazons that is the home for Wonder Woman. 

https://www.amazon.com/Charlotte-Perkins-Gilman-Herland/dp/1539988716/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1499961113&sr=1-11&keywords=herland

I am in.  I am currently in another book club but they usually pick a fast read.  It is also another woman's group.  Last month they picked a book with religious views and holy crap....what a shit storm that has turned into!!!

4 hours ago, Leigh1968 said:

I am in.  I am currently in another book club but they usually pick a fast read.  It is also another woman's group.  Last month they picked a book with religious views and holy crap....what a shit storm that has turned into!!!

I could stir up a shit storm all by myself discussing religion.  I don't exactly have conventional views. 

37 minutes ago, CuriouslyMarriedWoman said:

I could stir up a shit storm all by myself discussing religion.  I don't exactly have conventional views. 

I am pretty casual with religion.  I take what I want from it and leave the rest.  I do take my boys to church so they can get a foundation and since we live in the south it is a social outlet for my boys.  

Hey did we decide on a book?

3 minutes ago, JadeBleu15 said:

Hey did we decide on a book?

I don't think so, yet. Maybe if we each suggest a title and then have a poll to see which one is the most popular?

9 minutes ago, celeste teal said:

I don't think so, yet. Maybe if we each suggest a title and then have a poll to see which one is the most popular?

Thats a great idea. Did you have anything in mind? Has anyone else shown interest in certain genres?

23 minutes ago, JadeBleu15 said:

Thats a great idea. Did you have anything in mind? Has anyone else shown interest in certain genres?

I suggested Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, up thread, but I'm open to any of the books in the link you posted.

5 minutes ago, celeste teal said:

I suggested Herland by Charlotte Perkins Gilman, up thread, but I'm open to any of the books in the link you posted.

I am also open to anything. I will go look into the book you suggested. 

Just checked out Herland. It looks like a good book to me. It has my vote. :drinks: 

11 hours ago, Leigh1968 said:

I am pretty casual with religion.  I take what I want from it and leave the rest.  I do take my boys to church so they can get a foundation and since we live in the south it is a social outlet for my boys.  

Good attitude.  Church is a social outlet for a lot of people, and a comfort for most in times of adversity.  At this point in my life, I haven't found a church or religion that sees things quite the way I do.  The only time I have any real problem with religion is when people decide that everyone has to believe what they believe.

@Nidalaeh @JadeBleu15 @nudous @TyphoonFighter @CuriouslyMarriedWoman @J-Net @cantgetadecentusername @blueberry @Leigh1968

If it's ok with everyone, let's start with Herland by Carlotte Perkins Gilman. It's available on the internet for free and it's a pretty short read at 102 pages. Then for the next book we can make suggestions and have a poll to see which one is preferred by most people. We could start a thread somewhere, perhaps in the General Free For All, with the title Bookclub - Herland and that is where we can post comments and have our group conversation. We could give ourselves, say till September 1 to finish the book and start the discussion at that time. Is this ok with everyone?

Herland, by Carlotte Perkins Gilman 

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/32

[Many of Charlotte's written works are available for free at gutenberg as they are 100 years old, or older]

An online version is available at: http://hilobrow.com/2013/07/16/herland-1/

In addition, excellent audiobook versions are available at youtube https://youtu.be/WJtrW-26NdI and

Librivox  https://librivox.org/herland-by-charlotte-perkins-gilman/

Edited to add:

Here's another version that is a combination of high-lighted text with a computer generated voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KnLpfuAj1c

Edited by celeste teal

8 minutes ago, blueberry said:

I'm in @celeste teal. By the way, I love your avatar. 

Thank you blueberry :)

Sounds good to me!  I'll probably start reading it on my break at work tonight :) 

Sounds like a plan!