Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SakuraGirl

Coming Out To Older Parents?

3 posts in this topic

Coming out later in life to older parents? Those of you who have come out later in life did you decide to come out to your parents or not? Just curious. I am out to everyone except family and don't know if I'll ever tell them.

Well depends on your age requirements, lol. My dad is 64 ,(I'm 34 so I wasn't exactly "young" when I came out but not in my 50's like some - doesn't matter what age anyways so as long as someone is true to themselves). He didn't think much of it, my step-mom was surprised. Now my aunts (who are like 2nd moms to me since my mom died when I was 19) they were not supportive/against the notion to have those feelings were sinful.

I am struggling with this too. I am 52 and my parents are all 80. I feel guilty that I've never told them, like I haven't been completely true to myself. I am married to a man and thus always able to easily never have that conversation.

All 3 of my folk are liberal and accepting and I don't even know what holds me back. Except for one time when my mom said she could understand being gay but not being bi. My dad would most likely be ok and might try to say he figured it out when I was in college. My stepmother would probably be completely unphased. 

As I mentioned in another post, I am feeling greater pressure from myself to be out. I'm American and I feel that I am not adequately supporting the LBGT community in this horrendous political climate by keeping this secret.

Had I ended up in a long term partnership with a woman instead of a man I would have been all out.

I wish I knew why it feels so complicated.