Vette

Low Carbohydrates Lifestyle

22 posts in this topic

As I get older I've learned that I have to change my habits to stay healthy.  I hate the word "dieting" it makes me feel like I'm being punished.  Staying active is the easy part for me.  However, due to health issues I gained 30 pounds. Now that I'm stable, I discovered that my activity level, 1 hour of exercise a day, 4-5 days a week only maintains my current weight.

After keeping a dairy of my eating habits, I learned I was taking in too many carbs.  So I'm looking at low carbs food that I actually enjoy, or can grow to appreciate.  For instance, I eat more poached eggs now, because they are low carb and offer the protein I need.

You ladies are all over the world.  Please share low carb foods that you like, so that I can try them out and keep meals exciting. That way it is a lifestyle change that I can maintain instead of I diet I will quit in 3 months.

Recipes are great too!

I love using zucchini or yellow squash for "pasta". 

I also like to substitute cauliflower for mashed potatoes or rice. 

Thanks! The cauliflower is a great idea.

I have personally found the cauliflower mashed potatoes to be lacking. But I love almost any vegetable roasted in the oven. Many vegetables that I don't really want otherwise, I will absolutely devour roasted. Cauliflower? OMG. Roasted until it's a little bit brown and crispy and like put a little garlic salt or anything you want on there. I will eat pounds of it like candy.

Cut brussel sprouts in half, soak them in some olive oil and balsamic for a while, and roast them until they're crispy. The balsamic gets between the layers and oh my gosh. I'm making myself hungry right now.

On 10/7/2017 at 0:35 PM, N00Bi said:

I have personally found the cauliflower mashed potatoes to be lacking. But I love almost any vegetable roasted in the oven. Many vegetables that I don't really want otherwise, I will absolutely devour roasted. Cauliflower? OMG. Roasted until it's a little bit brown and crispy and like put a little garlic salt or anything you want on there. I will eat pounds of it like candy.

Cut brussel sprouts in half, soak them in some olive oil and balsamic for a while, and roast them until they're crispy. The balsamic gets between the layers and oh my gosh. I'm making myself hungry right now.

Dammit now I want Brussels sprouts.

Low Carb is tough at times, especially for pizza lovers. I tried just doing the egg only as pizza crust but did not really like it to much.  This was a pretty good substitute

Zucchini Pizza Casserole

2 medium zucchini, shredded
2 egg whites
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1.25  pounds extra lean ground turkey
1 cup marinara sauce
1 tbsp dried minced onion
1/2 tsp dried italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
20 slices pepperoni

1. Place zucchini in strainer; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Squeeze out moisture.
2. Combine zucchini with the egg whites, parmesan, garlic powder, italian seasoning, and half of the mozzarella. Press into a greased 13×9-in baking dish.
3. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook turkey and dried minced onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add marinara; spoon over zucchini mixture.
4. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; top with pepperoni. Bake 15- 20 minutes longer.
*adapted from Taste of Home

Nutritional Info (per 1/8th): 211 calories; 9.1 g fat; 6.4 g carbohydrates; 26.4 g protein.IMG_9738-427x640.jpg

I lost 20 pounds last year between eating low carb and working out. I used cauliflower for rice and pizza "dough". You just have to make sure you squeeze out all of the liquid and season well.

Also, using coconut flour and almond flour can make some delicious foods so it doesn't all feel like a punishment. I've used that blend of flours to make cookies, dough, and garlic knots. I'd be happy to share recipes if you'd like. 

4 hours ago, Esi.luna said:

I lost 20 pounds last year between eating low carb and working out. I used cauliflower for rice and pizza "dough". You just have to make sure you squeeze out all of the liquid and season well.

Also, using coconut flour and almond flour can make some delicious foods so it doesn't all feel like a punishment. I've used that blend of flours to make cookies, dough, and garlic knots. I'd be happy to share recipes if you'd like. 

Yes Please. That would be great. :)

Ok, so here are some of my tested faves.

Baked cauliflower "mac" n cheese: http://pin.it/2512_Mr

Cauliflower pizza crust: http://pin.it/2Afts0z

Low carb chocolate chips: http://pin.it/U9My0Gv

List of low carb dinners that I got a few ideas from: http://pin.it/sOEF1dA

Hope those are helpful. Let me know if thr links worked (it's the first time I try that) and if you end up liking any of them. :)

Edited by Esi.luna

On 10/9/2017 at 10:18 AM, JadeBleu15 said:

Low Carb is tough at times, especially for pizza lovers. I tried just doing the egg only as pizza crust but did not really like it to much.  This was a pretty good substitute

Zucchini Pizza Casserole

2 medium zucchini, shredded
2 egg whites
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
1.25  pounds extra lean ground turkey
1 cup marinara sauce
1 tbsp dried minced onion
1/2 tsp dried italian seasoning
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
20 slices pepperoni

1. Place zucchini in strainer; sprinkle with salt. Let stand for 10 minutes. Squeeze out moisture.
2. Combine zucchini with the egg whites, parmesan, garlic powder, italian seasoning, and half of the mozzarella. Press into a greased 13×9-in baking dish.
3. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook turkey and dried minced onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add marinara; spoon over zucchini mixture.
4. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; top with pepperoni. Bake 15- 20 minutes longer.
*adapted from Taste of Home

Nutritional Info (per 1/8th): 211 calories; 9.1 g fat; 6.4 g carbohydrates; 26.4 g protein.IMG_9738-427x640.jpg

That looks delicious @JadeBleu15! I've made a lasagna in a similar way, but this looks great!

36 minutes ago, Esi.luna said:

Ok, so here are some of my tested faves.

Baked cauliflower "mac" n cheese: http://pin.it/2512_Mr

Cauliflower pizza crust: http://pin.it/2Afts0z

Low carb chocolate chips: http://pin.it/U9My0Gv

List of low carb dinners that I got a few ideas from: http://pin.it/sOEF1dA

Hope those are helpful. Let me know if thr links worked (it's the first time I try that) and if you end up liking any of them. :)

Wonderful. Thank you!

I love pizza! I'm going to try the zucchini and cauliflower crust. I just tried roasted zucchini wedges with light seasoning. Very good. My favorite marinade for grilled chicken has been lemon juice and garlic.

That sounds delicious! Bon appetit! 

Been googling low carb snacks .... do you guys have a good easy go to snack? 

Protein! Cheese,  jerky, i order sausages/ meat sticks from Vermont smoke & cure. I

After I had my boys I started the “cabbage soup” diet to jumpstart my weight loss.  My boys are 10 & almost 12 and I still make a pot of soup every week.  I put whatever veggies are in season.  Mushrooms, cabbage, carrots, green beans, corn, squash, zucchini, peppers red, green, yellow, onions, garlic and jalapeños for seasoning. I use beef stock usually and sometimes will throw in some beef brisket because I am not vegetarian and now I use it more as something to fill me up whether it be, lunch, breakfast or snack. I found eating this 5-6 days a week and then preparing a normal dinner and enjoying it with my family worked best for me.  I don’t have to count carbs this way as my primary carb load is with dinner and usually looks like a potato or rice with a beer or glass of wine.  Knowing that I am going to eat normal with my family and usually on the weekends has made this an easy lifestyle change.  Days when I run a couple extra miles I add in a protein shake or a couple of boiled eggs to keep my body fueled.  It lowered my cholesterol, glucose levels and blood pressure.  All good side effects.  Whatever you choose to do find something that doesn’t make you feel like you are left out or truly sacrificing as it is hard to sustain over a period of time.

Good luck!

Are you happy counting calories and monitoring just your carb intake? I'd recommend tracking your macros, based on your intake. It's easy to do and that way you'll get a break down for carbs, protein and fat. Tracking on something like My Fitness Pal would be ok if you're willing to do the math or look at  http://macronutrientcalculator.com/ for a starting point.

I'm not a fan of substituting foods or mock meals. I don't eat dairy often so I don't see the point of covering meals in cheese etc to make it taste better. Seasoning your food is vital, given the season I go to stews, bulked out broths and soup, meat and fish dishes, curries. Apples are a good source of fiber and they give you a few extra carbs and can be eaten in many ways. Chicken and apples, stewed fruits, in salads etc. Eggs. Don't be afraid to get creative almost every cuisine has their own veg side dishes.

While I eat skinless meat, I tend to eat the skin on fish for added fat and always cook with olive oil. For a snack, blueberries or cherries and that's about it. I'd advise eating more meals rather than snacking because this is where most people fall down. For instance, I eat 5-6 times a day, which sounds a lot but the portions are smaller.

If you work out then consider having a protein shake. Supplements are important in the long-term. If you're healthy and don't need to consult a Dr look around, find the best you can afford - once you've built up a base line over a few weeks, you can get away with taking them twice a week if you're not on a intense schedule.

Edited by Hungry

Cocoa almonds.

Anyone got any advice on getting into and staying into ketosis? 

On 10/7/2017 at 3:35 PM, N00Bi said:

We do roasted Brussel sprouts a lot, but never with balsamic vinegar, will have to try that. 

Wow ! Thanks Ladies, I just noticed this thread. These sound delicious. The cauliflower rice I've never tried but am going to. As a young person, I've always eaten what I've wanted but as we age, it's not so good. Cruciferous vegetables are the way to go. Great for the liver they say.