TxCamilla

Vaccinations

6 posts in this topic

I would like other Shybi members opinion.

I work as a medical receptionist for a company that is ran by a Catholic non profit group. 

I went to work today and was told that it was mandatory for me to get the flu shot. They said the only way I could opt out is if it was against my religious beliefs (which it is) or have a physician state that for health reasons I cannot take it. If I opt out due to my religious beliefs then I have to fill out a form turn it in and then I have to be approved for the exemption.

My first issue is the fact that my job is shoving their religious beliefs down my throat.

Second issue is why does it have to be approved. 

Is there anyone else out there that shares my views?

Anytime you work in healthcare, that's the case.  I work for a non-secular hospital, and it's the same thing.  You also have a wear a mask Nov 1-May 1 if you opt out of the flu shot, regardless of the reason.  We also have to have our Hep B, MMR, and TDAP up to date, and our PPD.

It's a public health issue.  When you work in the medical field, you're around others who may be immune compromised, and you can pass the flu virus, even if you don't have symptoms, onto others.  I wouldn't stress too much if a simple form will allow you a religious exemption.  Have they not approved them in the past?

On 11/10/2017 at 9:37 PM, TxCamilla said:

My first issue is the fact that my job is shoving their religious beliefs down my throat.

They're not.

15 hours ago, Golightly63 said:

They're not.

Seconding this. They are allowing you to opt out due to religious beliefs by filling out a form. Nobody is requiring you to do something you don't believe in, just asking for a bit of paperwork.

It would be a little bit different if I hadn't be blind sighted. The company did not send out a general email, or memo stating that they were giving out the vaccinations and what their policy and procedures were. I had to track down the form and the policy procedures so that I knew what my rights as an employee were.

I don't mind filling out and returning the paperwork and following the chain of command.

My life has been so much chaotic lately that what goes into my body is the one of a few things I know I can control and I won't give up that right. 

1 hour ago, TxCamilla said:

It would be a little bit different if I hadn't be blind sighted. The company did not send out a general email, or memo stating that they were giving out the vaccinations and what their policy and procedures were. I had to track down the form and the policy procedures so that I knew what my rights as an employee were.

I don't mind filling out and returning the paperwork and following the chain of command.

My life has been so much chaotic lately that what goes into my body is the one of a few things I know I can control and I won't give up that right. 

Ok that's fair. It would have been better if they had sent out some sort of official statement of policy before the fact. Is there an established method for submitting comments, such as an ombuds? If so, you could perhaps mention to them the discomfort you felt and ask for advanced notice in future. Only if you want to though.