Newtothis12

Any superstitions?

25 posts in this topic

As its friday the 13th I thought I'd ask the question, has anyone got any superstitions?  Any rituals you like to follow? 

I'm not sure I have as I'm happy to walk under a ladder, happy to cross on the stairs and I can walk on drain covers!  

Just wondering?!

x

Not really, I can't walk under ladders though lol!! As i was born on the 13th of the month I tend to think it doesn't apply to me!! 

1 hour ago, Browneyedgirl78 said:

Not really, I can't walk under ladders though lol!! As i was born on the 13th of the month I tend to think it doesn't apply to me!! 

Not walking under ladders seems like a good safety precaution whether you're superstitious or not.

You obviously don't open or shut an umbrella indoors.

I've always been weird about putting my bible on the floor or putting anything on top of it. I can't seem to shake it,  even though my views on the bible have changed. 

There's also no need to leave your keys on a table. This one actually came about from prostitutes leaving keys on tables to show they were working in the area. I've also been known to knock wood :P sometimes I pump myself by knocking the boardroom table.

Edited by Hungry

On 06/11/2017 at 10:01 PM, Hungry said:

You obviously don't open or shut an umbrella indoors.

Very true 

If I drop salt I do tend to fling some over my shoulder....but I'm not at all superstitious :-/

1 minute ago, Browneyedgirl78 said:

If I drop salt I do tend to fling some over my shoulder....but I'm not at all superstitious :-/

I love the way you say you throw salt over your shoulder, but you're not :P You must be a little to waste salt? I like salt, I've never wasted more!

11 minutes ago, Browneyedgirl78 said:

Lol the more I think about it the more things I think of!!! 

I know what you mean. Given some of my family is British, I think it's a cultural thing, you get told not to do things as a kid and they stick with you, but when you think about it they're all stupid! Although saying that my Spanish Aunt had catcuses on the window sill cos they ward off evil - I mean what kind of evil were we gonna experience in a sleepy mountain town? :P

Edited by Hungry

We Greeks have few.Breaking a mirror even by mistake is supposedly bringing seven years of bad luck. In March we are wearing a homemade bracelet of red and white Because we don't want  the sun to burn us :p. We are throwing rice inside the church to the couple getting married, it's symbolic. And still some women don't go out of the house with the baby after it is born for forty days

Edited by kairi

2 minutes ago, kairi said:

We Greeks have few.Breaking a mirror even by mistake is supposedly bringing seven years of bad luck. In March we are wearing a homemade bracelet of red and white Because we don't want  the sun to burn us :p. We are throwing rice inside the church to the couple getting married, it's symbolic. And still some women don't go out of the house with the baby after it is born for forty days

I worry about the mirror thing..... 

5 minutes ago, Hungry said:

I know what you mean. Given some of my family is British, I think it's a cultural thing, you get told not to do things as a kid and they stick with you, but when you think about it they're all stupid! Although saying that my Spanish Aunt had catcuses on  the window sill cos they ward off evil - I mean what kind of evil were were gonna experience in a sleepy mountain town? :P

Where can I buy some?!! 

Edited by Browneyedgirl78
Spelling!

Ah shit I forgot the thing we do while getting married :P in a specific time during the ceremony everyone is looking at the couples feet to see which one will step first on the other. The first one will have the upper hand during the married life :P It is still happening tho it comes from older times, and people expect the man to step first or else his mother will go ballistic hahaha 

Edited by kairi
I did a lot of word mistakes in this one

6 minutes ago, Browneyedgirl78 said:

I've not heard of that one.....I'd have obviously stepped first...!! :)

It's a Greek thing :P

I'm Welsh I'm surprised they don't have it there, the men are very 'manly' ha ha!! 

And of course the spitting for the evil eye! If you come to Greece you will certainly experience this 

Ah yes I've heard of that!! I went to santorini a few years ago....apparently not the real greece, however everyone was lovely and the food was delicious :)

Just now, Browneyedgirl78 said:

Ah yes I've heard of that!! I went to santorini a few years ago....apparently not the real greece, however everyone was lovely and the food was delicious :)

Just heard? I am surprised you didn't experienced it :P it's a must here lol

4 minutes ago, kairi said:

Just heard? I am surprised you didn't experienced it :P it's a must here lol

Lol my head was all over the place in a make or break relationship....it broke....always vowed I'd revisit Greece esp now I have a son, I loved the family atmosphere.....will have to explain the evil eye to him in case he randomly starts spitting :-/

Islands are good but pretty expensive. The main land has many wonderful places to visit and yes we have that here. Family is everything 

1 minute ago, kairi said:

Islands are good but pretty expensive. The main land has many wonderful places to visit and yes we have that here. Family is everything 

That's definitely my plan, hopefully next year, and I agree family is everything....especially the little ones :)