Not_Grounded

Working in a non-LGBT friendly environment

6 posts in this topic

Anyone else work in an industry or office where you have to be really careful about anyone finding out that you are bi?  I'm really struggling with this the past couple days. I didn't get a job last summer because they found my profile on a bi dating site. After nearly two years of looking, I recently got a job with a company that apparently didn't do a full background check and dig up all my dating profiles and forum memberships. Dream job on so many levels!!! Except....I don't know how to read the vibe and know what I can and can't do without crossing a line. The industry as a whole is very conservative (Aviation Law and Compliance), having a tattoo will get you fired on the spot. Social Media accounts can get you fired. Anyone else worked somewhere uber conservative and how did you handle the company Christmas party? (hence my current anxiety)

Wow ! This sounds aweful. I didn't realise it was so bad. I live in a country town in Australia where Bi just isn't the thing and Australia has just got the Yes vote in for marriage quality.  It still has to go through parliament yet.  I've never heard of anyone getting such a thorugh background check. Sorry for my ignorance. I'm overwhelmed with this. I couldn't handle that sort of pressure. I hope you do OK and find a solution. Best of Luck. 

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences and that your workplace is not as supportive or as open as you would like to be. My work place is the opposite, it is very much filled with same sex equality, a lot of people who work in my office are gay or lesbian and so it is a very supportive place to be. I haven't really told anyone I work with what my preference is in relation to my being pansexual and either way it wouldn't matter at all since they are really good. It is a state government organisation and quite obviously we need to be seen to be supportive of everyone no what their sexual preferences, race, religion, background are. 

Are there any *anonymous* industry forums where you could ask about this, or is the business small enough people would figure out it's you? They would probably understand the norms better than us.

Are there any protections for LGBT workers in your state?  I would start there.

What is the issue with the Christmas party?  Are you dating a woman you want to bring?

I worked for Victoria's Secret for 5 years, and stayed closeted while I worked there, given the nature of the job.  I was also in the military during DADT.  In the military, each duty station had its own culture about gay people, but you still didn't want to be too out.  A lot of us would go out clubbing and such together, though, at the gay clubs.  I just didn't talk about it at work at all, unless I knew someone was safe.  Now, I work in a job where I speak pretty freely about it, but I don't bring it up unless it comes up organically, like talking about our weekend or our SOs or something.  We have a couple of Christmas parties coming up, and my GF will be attending those with me, as my GF.

Sorry to hear your workplace isn't supportive. Is there any chance you could talk to HR about your concerns?