Apsalar15

Self care ideas

25 posts in this topic

So ladies,

Today I bit the bullet and made myself an appointment to get my hair done. I've been debating whether or not to get the ends done blonde for a long time so I'm just going to do it. Then at some point I'll do it some bright, funky colour :D I need to give myself a confidence boost as I've not been feeling my best. Need to lose weight too but that's obviously more of a long term thing.

What self care have you guys done lately?

I need to get a new do. Really a trim. I also want to do some color and highlights. I don't treat myself to the salon as much as I should. I'm on a fixed income so it's a treat. Usually trim my hair myself in between. One thing I do treat myself to is a swim and jacuzzi at the pool down the road once or twice a month. It's only $5. I have chronic pain so it's closer to necessity at times. If I have a bit extra on me I'll get a glass of red wine while I'm there. That combination feels heavenly and makes me beyond relaxed. 

Signed back on at Slimming World - AKA "Circle of Shame"

For me, baths with Epsom salts are good self-care. I don't do it too often as the SouthwestUS is in a drought, so when I do I take a nice long soak rather than something brief. I've finished entire books in the bath -granted I am a fast reader and can get through a 200-page novel in a few hours. Lest the resident bibliophiles get angry with me, I am always careful not to get the books wet.

@ThatsNoMoon Get your clapping hands at the ready ;)

@ChemFem That sounds nice! Good work on the dry books too lol

1 hour ago, ThatsNoMoon said:

Signed back on at Slimming World - AKA "Circle of Shame"

Do you think the shame factor actually works though? Paying money to stand on a scale, seems like something everyone should be able to see through these days. I have an old work colleague who lost a lot at Slimming World, but she only ever went for the weigh-in, it made me smile, but I did wonder why?

For me I like to take walks or hit the hiking trail, it's free. I may eventually join a group but I prefer the peace, occasionally I take my earphones but I usually think of nothing or whatever comes up. Also a good stretch in the mornings, pretty much as soon as I get out of bed, really wakes me up and sets the day off right :)

Edited by Hungry

I’ve just gone back to slimming world too!! I try and stay to meetings with a couple of friends; we have a giggle and it’s good to have a cuppa and a chat. 

I love singing and have joined a choir that meets one evening a week. I really enjoy it and go home feeling elated. I’m looking forward to getting back to that next week after the Christmas break. 

1 hour ago, Hungry said:

Do you think the shame factor actually works though? Paying money to stand on a scale, seems like something everyone should be able to see through these days. I have an old work colleague who lost a lot at Slimming World, but she only ever went for the weigh-in, it made me smile, but I did wonder why?

For me it's totally about the shame. Well, maybe calling it shame is harsh..  let's say "public accountability" lol

At mine they read out what everyone has lost. Hard to tell yourself that your half pound on is ok when Sheila nailed it this week and lost 6lb 2! :lol:

21 minutes ago, ThatsNoMoon said:

For me it's totally about the shame. Well, maybe calling it shame is harsh..  let's say "public accountability" lol

At mine they read out what everyone has lost. Hard to tell yourself that your half pound on is ok when Sheila nailed it this week and lost 6lb 2! :lol:

I think accountability or the fear of shame/embarrassment seems to work in the UK more so than in other places, it's interesting. Apparently, it's the land of secret eaters though, so y'know there might be something to that. Let's get real though, if Shelia managed to lose that in a week, she's clearly got it to lose, the comparing and blows to some people's self-esteem which many people with weight issues seem to struggle with, I see your point and the idea of supply and demand I guess. But I do think of the Little Britain sketch... 

I'll stop derailing now.. 

Edited by Hungry

Well I joined Snap Fitness a few weeks ago and I got my nails French tip lately which makes me feel good.. :D

I think I'm going to try a float this week in a sensory deprivation tank, maybe get a massage afterwards.

6 minutes ago, LizzySizzles said:

I think I'm going to try a float this week in a sensory deprivation tank, maybe get a massage afterwards.

That's intense! Do get a good debrief, I've heard it can be quite disorienting. The deprivation tank, not the massage.

I've been wanting to try it for so long, it sounds like the most intriguing experience. I've read quite a bit about it a month other cool things to try. Like an anechoic chamber, which I think would be awesome to try!!

I did slimming world once but I became really resentful of paying someone to weigh me. I find I do better if I just use MyFitnessPal to keep me on the straight and narrow but we all have our different methods :)

I'd like to get my nails done but my hair's going to cost loads, I already feel guilty about that and I haven't even done it yet! 

I've resolved to read more coz I miss reading but hardly get time to do it.

7 hours ago, Apsalar15 said:

I did slimming world once but I became really resentful of paying someone to weigh me. I find I do better if I just use MyFitnessPal to keep me on the straight and narrow but we all have our different methods :)

Ahh I can't trust myself with MyFitnessPal. Forget to add things, skip days... at least with paying I guarantee I actually go, actually weigh myself and actually talk to other people who are also trying to lose weight to get tips.  I was doing really well with it until an old back injury from my motorbike crash played up and I stopped being able to exercise. That really got me down and so I ended up eating more, and eventually left it. Now I'm hoping by going back I can get back into things and find a way around the injury, as physio have told me it's basically untreatable without addictive pain meds that I refuse to take.

@ThatsNoMoon ah man, I hope it gets better for you. Back pain is bloody awful.

@ThatsNoMoon Have you tried a combo of Bikram yoga and chiropractic care?   Long story short, I stumbled into that particular combination and my all over joint pain and pain from degenerative back disorder has  practically disappeared.   It requires a commitment to go,  but it has been so worth it.

Which leads me to my self care :) Yoga.  Yin, Vinyasa, and Bikram. I had been going religiously 4 times per week for about 18 months, and then I fell off a couple of months ago.   Two weeks ago I promised myself that I was going to get back to it. .. and I have!  Hoping I can keep it up!

I usually find a walk at the botanical gardens or down my favorite cozy street to be relaxing. Often times, I'll bring my camera and the rest of the world disappears. Also I enjoy reading but don't always get the chance-goal for the year is to read more.

2 hours ago, Kailee said:

@ThatsNoMoon Have you tried a combo of Bikram yoga and chiropractic care?   Long story short, I stumbled into that particular combination and my all over joint pain and pain from degenerative back disorder has  practically disappeared.   It requires a commitment to go,  but it has been so worth it.

Thanks - chiro yes, but not yoga. I keep hearing great things though, so I should try it out!

I cut carbs waaaaay down about 6 weeks ago, and have lost 15 pounds so far! Exciting especially because I feel like I can really sustain it this time. Have struggled with weight loss forever, like a lot of us. I'm still working on incorporating a sustainable work-out routine, but I'm doing bits here and there trying to find what I like and what I can handle lol. Hopefully I keep it up! Good luck to everyone with your own self-care goals.

I've been really enjoying CrossFit, and working at getting back to being more regular about my running (being a single mom, it's hard to get out there).  I'm also doing a couple of CrossFit competitions, so that's good motivation to behave!

I am trying to get back into working out more often and eating better, but failing so far. 

I joined a gym today! Have never worked out in a gym before...kinda nervous about it but I'm so ready to get healthier/stronger. First workout, tomorrow AM. We'll see how it goes!

Personally for self care, I try to grab a bit of me time. I love to get a pedicure or take a long bath although it is very rare that I am able to. Hoping to get back in the gym soon.