102 posts in this topic

Is anyone in contact with @la-femme

So,  I echo the sentiment of what this site has been for me for these past years. It was a place I found when I was looking for myself.  I could finally relate to others going through similar situations.  Its now a place I come for a mirad of reasons and advice.  

I do run a website,  but it's not forum based.  I'm familiar with behind the scenes work,  as well as coding. I would be happy to contribute. 

I got to thinking about reaching out to similar places and seeing what their plan of attack is for revenue and management.  I know one thing is,  the Admin has to be around and contributing. I'm thankful to La-Femme for getting this going, but it seems for reasons she is unable to keep going with it and I understand.  The financials should not solely rely on her.  Maybe the mods are for doing the other admin jobs,  but how many do we have? I see BiTriMama doing an amazing job,thank you for that! 

I just took a peek and see the shybi guy admin all over the place.  It wouldn't hurt to ask him for some insight.  I do agree that a monthly membership would scare many away.  The donation button used to be used though,  and every little bit helps.  

I hope that shybi can not only survive, but thrive.  I would love to give back!

Edited by Fun

2 hours ago, Kailee said:

Ok...This is what I am hearing. ..

The principle that is being echoed as important to Shys:

-Privacy and accessibility is paramount: no membership fees or ads that will track.

Facts and viable ideas that have been laid out:

-Admin Team could be created

-Key donors could be solicited

-Charitable donations page resurrected

-Chat feature resurrected

-Potentially a bigger moderator team to keep up with more traffic...it might be beneficial for moderators and admin to work closely going forward so because moderators have their ear to everything happening on the site.

-Estimate of £400/$500 per month for site costs and staff paid

-Optional subscription for those in a place to make regular contributions; amount determined by the subscriber.

-Reach out to Shybiguy to collaborate and find out what is working for them

-Reach out to similar successful sites in order to generate more ideas for Shys

-Moderators potentially double as admin

- @FunHas experience in website configuration and coding.  Is willing to contribute her knowledge.

- Create a twitter or Facebook presence

Questions:

@BiTriMamaWould moderators doubling as admin be too much?

Are there other Shys members who have particular experience/expertise that could contribute?

Is anyone in touch with @la-femme ?

Edited by Kailee

1 hour ago, Kailee said:

Ok...This is what I am hearing. ..

The principle that is being echoed as important to Shys:

-Privacy and accessibility is paramount: no membership fees or ads that will track.

What about optional subscription? While the site needs to be accessible to new people and some people have privacy concerns about making payments, I (and presumably others) would be willing to pay a small regular amount, especially in return for an area in which to post with more privacy. 

@Aisling3

Love this idea. Added it to the list right above your post.

Edited by Kailee

I have a suggestion:

@Hungry why don't you buy the site? @la-femme obviously does not have the financial or time resources to dedicate to it anymore and she actually mentioned that she would consider selling it. 

We need an admin that has the tech savvy and motivation to make it work. I'll give money to help @Hungrybuy the site... What I won't do is give money to keep a site open because it was neglected to such an extent that people don't visit anymore, and also does not create the ad revenue that would offset its operation. 

I am very grateful for Shy's but we either find a long term solution or its "So long, and thanks for all the fish"

Ps. Is there a twitter or facebook presence independent from the website where people will be able to find one another should the whole thing tank? 

La-femme did mention that as an option. And i should add that to the list of possibilities.  However,  let's not volunteer other's time and money. That needs to come from the individual or we will find ourselves in a whole new undesirable situation.

I think what we need is to focus on creating a plan to put into action as soon as we have the option to. 

55 minutes ago, treelover123 said:

Ps. Is there a twitter or facebook presence independent from the website where people will be able to find one another should the whole thing tank? 

I think we all like the idea of being able to find our connections if the site goes under.

Would having a twitter or Facebook presence compromise privacy in any way?

The bigger problem as I see is money.This needs to be solved first. I believe there are members that are willing to contribute but asking something monthly I don't think even those willing members will manage all the time. I believe  the admin should inform us for the amount that was gathered yesterday and for how long it will last. Or let that PayPal page open and I really don't know about technology we could somehow see an amount in shy in a donation corner or something and whoever wants and is willing and all that to add to that amount for the monthly expenses or whatever. Don't :bottom:me, it's just an idea and I don't know how websites work and what can be done 

Haha!  Thanks for that emogi @kairi!  things are a little tense and that was cute :)

1 hour ago, treelover123 said:

I have a suggestion:

@Hungry why don't you buy the site? @la-femme obviously does not have the financial or time resources to dedicate to it anymore and she actually mentioned that she would consider selling it. 

We need an admin that has the tech savvy and motivation to make it work. I'll give money to help @Hungrybuy the site... What I won't do is give money to keep a site open because it was neglected to such an extent that people don't visit anymore, and also does not create the ad revenue that would offset its operation. 

I am very grateful for Shy's but we either find a long term solution or its "So long, and thanks for all the fish"

It shouldn't fall to me, I did think of this initially and almost offered. But this shouldn't fall to me and if the current admin isn't the admin then everyone should get a say - I know most people wouldn't choose me. 

The way I see it there are 3 options: 

1. We give admin another day or so then everyone who donated should either accept their $ are wasted or make a claim on PP for missold goods essentially. We then have to decide if we wanted to get rid of the current admin who and how we want the new structure to put in place by the way. This means contacting her with a contract and possible cash incentive to hand it over. The fact we even need to give her an incentive to a woman who clearly once loved this place is a very sad thing. 

2. We accept that la-femme is admin and the board will remain as is on her watch.

3. Do 2 and then once Shybi is down by the domain, I don't imagine she'd be that crazy to keep it forever. That said it means down time but less money today.

Like this we have no power and eventually she'll need more money and I love this site but I'm not gonna watch it get sent down the river and pay for it too.

There was once a private FB group, I know @Matty had details. I'm not sure if any of the other mods know about that. I do think that connections are good but not everyone is gonna want social media, even I'm on the fence about sharing - something like Whatsapp, Skype or Hangouts seems more private, but enough for networking if need be.

To be honest, part of me thinks there's not much point even if the value is there. It's frustrating, but in the coming days I really have to look at if there's any point sticking atound.

10 minutes ago, Kailee said:

Haha!  Thanks for that emogi @kairi!  things are a little tense and that was cute :)

:bottom:   ;) 

yes things are tense and it will be pity if shy will be gone. I had decided to leave for sometime these days. Again!  :P But yesterday made me realize how much we need this site.I rememberd how I felt when I joined and this feeling of belonging I had. This feeling that tho I was among strangers and we are all  behind a cold screen, I was between friends and people that really cared. You can't find this,  especially online. So I helped anyway I could and it was my choice to help something that helped me and I really hope it will continue to help

2 hours ago, Kailee said:

-Optional subscription for those in a place to make regular contributions; amount determined by the subscriber.

@BiTriMamaWould moderators doubling as admin be too much?

Are there other Shys members who have particular experience/expertise that could contribute?

Is anyone in touch with @la-femme ?

Mods have no power or privilege they can't become admins unless la-femme appoints them which she's never done to my knowledge. Last mod I hear from they hadn't replied to any of their messages either since when the site was at crisis point and in donation mode yesterday.

Perhaps some form of optional payment is possible in the future, but the point is the site should run based on things that it can generate and build, this is not the best way to ensure success, but it's certainly a short term help if need be? I'm pleased to hear members saying that.

Also the original costs I mentioned are very basic. I haven't looked at anything further, so when people start listing we could have this and this and this and then put a figure at the bottom, that's not how it would work out. Also generated income can vary greatly in the early stages.

To be honest, I think we all need to slow down a bit, by all means list all your thoughts and contribute the first hurdle is how long we go before believing the admin is not on our side and how we make a singular unified plan of action to have control over the outcome of the site. 

Edited by Hungry

I hope that we can continue as a community here but IF things can't be worked out we might consider moving to another type of venue. One possibility might be reddit which has existing subreddits that seem to function as a type of forum for people sharing an interest of one kind or another. 

A quick search revealed two that might be of interest:  

/r/actuallesbians — a place for cis and trans lesbians, bisexual girls, chicks who like chicks, bi-curious folks, dykes, butches, femmes, girls who kiss girls, birls, bois, anyone in the lgbt community or anyone else interested! We're not a militant or exclusive group, feel free to join up!

https://www.reddit.com/r/actuallesbians/

and 

Welcome to BiWomen! A home for discussion for, by, and about women who like men *and* women. Our aim is to build a safe place and a community for bisexual women and those who love them to gather. Any and all gender identities, sexual orientations, romantic orientations, hair colors, nationalities, sport loyalties, and personality types are welcome. If you're interested, this subreddit is for you.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BiWomen/

A move to reddit (or another type of venue) would be a drastic change for us and would be an absolute final option to keep the wonderful community here alive. It might be possible to create our own specific Shybi subreddit where we could continue as a group with the core values we share - helpful, friendly and caring support, and keep the connections and friendships that we've formed here alive as well. 

I have no experience whatsoever with reddit. What do others think?

We have generated plenty of great options that can be explored further once we have more info from admin. If anyone things of anything new to add to our list, please share!

A few ladies have talked about creating a space where we can reconnect if the site goes down. I (selfishly) agree with @HungryThat we should create a space that doesn't have to do with social media.

This is something we have control over at the moment and will act as a safety net for the special connections we have all made here at Shys.

What does everyone think?

Edited by Kailee

@celeste tealHa! We are thinking alike girl!

I have no experience with reddit so I am not sure what that would look like.

@celeste teal those groups sound interesting, never heard of the reddit thing would welcome more info from members who know more about how it works. 

No idea how it works but if it came to it for a while it's something. Let's hope it doesn't come to that but this is as much as about us keeping the site going and having a say as it is relieving @la-femme from having to pay for it. Another option is a forum powered through WordPress, typically known as the worlds #1 blogging platform, it does offer plug-in options and proper integration and support, this is the nearest alternative I can think of at the minute. As the platform is free, just hosting and plugins etc.

First hit example - vague but you see what I mean. http://www.planet12sun.com/forum/wordpress/forums/ Although technically most wordpress forums are added to an existing website. I'll look into costs at some point might be better off in the long run!

Considering that what the site is running on at the moment is only gonna hold us for a week or two max we need to decide how to proceed. I don't feel it's fair we just wait and hope it gets paid for month-on-month. Although that'd be the easier option and I'm going for that one for the rest of the evening!

Edited by Hungry

Is there a way to set up a forum on WordPress...we could call it "Shybi Reconnect" or something. Just so there is a place to go and we know where it is?

14 minutes ago, Kailee said:

Is there a way to set up a forum on WordPress...we could call it "Shybi Reconnect" or something. Just so there is a place to go and we know where it is?

Don't know if it's possible with WordPress, but it seems to be quite easy (and free) with this site: https://www.proboards.com/

It seems to have all the same basic forum features.

Hey @ThroughTheLookingGlass86!  I feel totally unqualified to look at anything tech and have an informed opinion.  @HungryAnd @Funcould the two of you check out proboards as an option as well?

@ThroughTheLookingGlass86What makes you say that proboards could be a better option?

I really don’t want to move to another platform, I like this place, best case scenario is to get shybi.com back in shape. Do we know for sure if @la-femme received enough donations to pay off the 1and1 domain? Did she give anyone any indication that she did? Does anyone have any information on what’s going on?

15 minutes ago, Kailee said:

Hey @ThroughTheLookingGlass86!  I feel totally unqualified to look at anything tech and have an informed opinion.  @HungryAnd @Funcould the two of you check out proboards as an option as well?

@ThroughTheLookingGlass86What makes you say that proboards could be a better option?

Not sure it's the better option - it was more a suggestion if we needed a quick fix and a place for people to go if it doesn't work out here.

It seems to be quite quick and easy to create a proboard forum so I don't even think the admins or moderators need to be especially tech-savvy.

As la femme is the ONLY admin, there is not much we mods can do unless she opens it up to any of us. ( I have asked in the past) 

I dont understand any of this tech stuff,but this site does need to go on. It brings a lot of support to women in need. I agree with all of @Kailee's points. Just let me know what we can do to keep it as a safe haven.