102 posts in this topic

I think we are all on the same page. We want Shys to stay here.

Best case senerio la-femme will let us know what's going on and we can negotiate new ways of doing things to lessen her burden and make the site sustainable.

Worst case senerio the site goes down without notice. The suggestion of having a reconnection point in cyberspace isn't for us to go there now, but a place for us to find one another if our connection is severed.

@leigh11Do you happen to know how many active moderators there currently are?

The main information that became transparent in the last few hours since the announcement was the needed money to pay the outstanding bill and it has been paid as mentioned here. We are all thinking of ways how to save a damaged ship that is potential to sink. That is good. However, it'll be more helpful if we know more about the structure of this ship. Therefore, we need more information from the admin, i.e who's hosting the domain, can we transfer the website to another host, how much will it cost, how about the back up of the website files, and many more pertinent facts which you ladies can think of, etc. I am appealing for more details.

Proboards looks a good option by looking at its paid features but does it host an existing website or you have to start from the scratch?  

"Reconnection point." Yeah, we all need this now in case of emergency like when there's a disaster.  My family has one in case of tsunami or earthquake or alien invasion in NZ, lol. There are so many options available but it depends if the member is comfortable to use it especially those who want to be discreet/anonymous, but there's always a way to do it anyway. We can have something that doesn't require traffic to exist  like facebook page, messenger, etc.  

Is this a sign to call for shybi congress? About time, don't you think? :P

A facebook page was created for shybi, there were a few ladies on there but that's not really the best solution. The most ideal solution would be to get the site to a stable host that would be reasonably priced to maintain and be able to upgrade as well so the chat room feature could be added back.

The donations are still in Paypal untouched for now until 1and1 get back to me tomorrow.  If nothing comes of it, and the site closes all will be refunded. I can't thank everyone enough from the bottom of my heart who donated. Truly.. and I hope things are sorted in the next few days. I'll keep you all posted. I'm  not long back from a 12 hour shift so apologies for not being able to clarify sooner. 

A few other clarifications :- 

Social media is killing off discussion/debate forums and has been for a while now. End of story.. However... women who find us here do NOT want to appear on social media. I understood that from the start and named the site accordingly... and it's also why Facebook/Twitter and all other social media icons are removed from the forum software. Too many are afraid that they share or out themselves accidentally or someone else does and cannot take that risk. Facebook and other media links and referrals are also needed now to rank highly in the internet stakes. But it's really not an option for this site and probably never will be. The internet has moved on since 2005 when this site started. The ethos of this site cannot since it's about being a safe harbour. 

Once moved we'll still be with the same hosts we've been with since 2009. Like an old mobile phone contract that hasn't been updated and you end up paying far more than new customers for the same or better services,... personal financial difficulties aside.. that's where Shybi has been for the last few years. On a 'bronze' server for nearly £250 a month, when newer clients were on the platinum for much less. I cannot afford £250 a month at the moment the new server is less than half that. The site may well end up moving again... but at the end of the day my appeal went out because whatever happened I did not want the site to end due to a few months financial difficulties. Better things for me are hopefully just round the corner ( new job fingers crossed )... I couldn't just let the site go down to a few skint months and that's why I reached out. 

Chat rooms etc... well IPB have closed even their own native and fully integrated chat rooms now. Things like that are another area dying off thanks to social media and messenger services. Other things such as 'clubs within forums' and many other progressive features are afoot in IPBoards now. But there's not point in harking back to wishing things were as they were on the net in 2010 or 2013.. Chat rooms etc can surely be done again, but integration with the database and safety is somewhat more problematic these days given that even the forum software makers have given up on them completely. 

IF things work out tomorrow with 1and1 the site will be ok for a while. I cannot do much about the site's fortunes in relation to Facebook groups and Twitter chats... but I do know for those that find us here and stay for a while, that this site has been worth every penny I've spent on it since 2005. 

Thanks once again SO much for the donations. They'll be put to the use they're intended within the next few days or refunded in full. Keep your fingers crossed. 

LF xxx 

Thank you la-femme for updating us and hopefully you'll be able to move to a more affordable hosting site and hopefully, even though chat rooms aren't that popular, they are a big draw for shys and once things get worked out the chat feature will be able to be funded because the ladies want it and the same rules could hopefully still be in place.

I also hope that others will have the patience to give you the opportunity to get things fixed for the site. I've been on the site since 2009 but did not get super active until 2012 so I've been here nearly 10 years myself.

Thank you again for letting us know what's happening and I hope you do get a new job.

Wolfie

As far as staying in contact, we could make a secret fb group for those who are there. I'm also out on fb, ig, & Twitter, so I'm happy to friend people there. 

I've only been here for 6 months, but it has helped me a lot. 

1 hour ago, N00Bi said:

As far as staying in contact, we could make a secret fb group for those who are there. I'm also out on fb, ig, & Twitter, so I'm happy to friend people there. 

I've only been here for 6 months, but it has helped me a lot. 

I'm also out on social media - if anyone wants to friend me message me and I will give you my details. If you create a FB group please share the name of it. 

It's great that @la-femme is around. I'm thinking based off the entire topic and past few days we should all try to remain where we are for the time being I think that's the general concensus and it's just a case of looking to the future of what we can do here.

@ThroughTheLookingGlass86 Pro boards are not a bad option, but they're highly similar to what the current board offers and with Invision software/ There's the chance of offering/adding moe customization. Pro boards do have a higher premium version, Forums.Net which is a likeness It's just a case of checking the full details to see who offers the best value and features. 

I am more than happy to continue to support the site and admin in any way I can and while at the start of this thread I thought I might have been wasting my time, as usual we've all come together! The only reservations I have going forward is that we continue in this manner and really care for the site as a community and changes are made going forward with more collabaration and transparency. If not then I don't see the point in contributing too much and I think @la-femme can see things need to change in order for Shybi to survive.

The future looks bright and we'll still be able to call this place/similar home, hopefully for a long time to come. 

A big thanks to everyone who has contributed here :)

Edited by Hungry

Is there any way we could have an app instead of a site? Apps tend to have an easy UI and generate money via simple ads. Just seems that apps have taken the place of sites these days so if shys wants to move with the times it would be a good idea - I'm just checking it out there, I wouldn't know how to do it myself lol, it's just an idea. It also would increase privacy re husbands and family coz you wouldn't have to keep deleting your browser history, for the ladies that find themselves in that situation!

No clue how practical that is but thought it was worth suggesting.

Shys is available on cell phones via internet and is still accessible as far as I know. Lot's of women used to chat on their cell phones when the chat room feature was available.

11 hours ago, Apsalar15 said:

Is there any way we could have an app instead of a site? Apps tend to have an easy UI and generate money via simple ads. Just seems that apps have taken the place of sites these days so if shys wants to move with the times it would be a good idea - I'm just checking it out there, I wouldn't know how to do it myself lol, it's just an idea. It also would increase privacy re husbands and family coz you wouldn't have to keep deleting your browser history, for the ladies that find themselves in that situation!

No clue how practical that is but thought it was worth suggesting.

Long-term it's definitely a good idea. Apps like Tapatalk let you register a forum and list it in their index, but you'd still need a board to begin with so that means web hosting costs would still apply. Boards like this have app capabilities for Android and iPhone in their higher packages, inc. are current provider. 

There are plenty of easy to use and relatively inexpensive platforms for app development these days, but Java/plug-ins would be extra, along with a desktop equivalent. Generating income through ads would ease the burden, but it's a case of startup $ - bottom line are the core members here willing to fund it?

Edited by Hungry

Yes, shys is fully accessible through mobile, I’ve only ever used my phone, other then to try a computer just to compare. Before the update last year, mobile format was pretty limited, it was better on my iPad than my iPhone, but nothing compared to good old PC. But since the update I believe mobile is just as functional.

I’m really glad that la-femme is around and keeping us updated. I hope it all works out and we’re able to keep our site. I feel truly grateful for all she’s done to keep this place alive all these years, even after she stopped using it for herself. When the site went down last year, she was quick to step in and make changes to save it, despite being MIA for some time.

I know there is room for improvement but overall I’m pleased with the site as is. I think what we need the most is admin presence, or at least someone appointed as a sort of co-admin. We could use someone we can communicate with, preferably someone who has access to control panels and can make changes and improvements as necessary. I don’t even know if that’s possible, but I think it would be beneficial to the future of the site (hoping there is a future)

1 hour ago, Cute&Curious said:

I think what we need the most is admin presence, or at least someone appointed as a sort of co-admin. We could use someone we can communicate with, preferably someone who has access to control panels and can make changes and improvements as necessary. I don’t even know if that’s possible, but I think it would be beneficial to the future of the site (hoping there is a future)

Totally agree with you. Also there's no point having admins unless they know how to use their permissions and those don't have to be exactly the same as what @la-femme has. Every site I know of has multiple admins, it really makes things easier on everybody. I know some mods have offered in the past, I hope it happens going forward. It'll be great if she can be around more but she shouldn't have to go it alone. If there's only one admin and the site becomes reliant on funding, this is a dealbreaker for me. Might as well be honest.

36 minutes ago, Hungry said:

Totally agree with you. Also there's no point having admins unless they know how to use their permissions and those don't have to be exactly the same as what @la-femme has. Every site I know of has multiple admins, it really makes things easier on everybody. I know some mods have offered in the past, I hope it happens going forward. It'll be great if she can be around more but she shouldn't have to go it alone. If there's only one admin and the site becomes reliant on funding, this is a dealbreaker for me. Might as well be honest.

Agreed, it’s a lot on one single person (financially and time wise), if there were co-admins, la-femme wouldn’t have so much pressure on her, and we as members would have an admin team who we could rely and depend on to manage the site that we love so much. It’s a win win in my opinion, and I too hope we can move in that direction, otherwise this may very well be the beginning of the end :(

On 2/11/2018 at 6:33 AM, Kailee said:

-Optional subscription for those in a place to make regular contributions; amount determined by the subscriber.

-Reach out to Shybiguy to collaborate and find out what is working for them

-Reach out to similar successful sites in order to generate more ideas for Shys

-Moderators potentially double as admin

- @FunHas experience in website configuration and coding.  Is willing to contribute her knowledge.

- Create a twitter or Facebook presence

Questions:

@BiTriMamaWould moderators doubling as admin be too much?

Are there other Shys members who have particular experience/expertise that could contribute?

Is anyone in touch with @la-femme ?

To answer your question to me, I personally would be happy to help step up duties, as moderator hands are tied in many ways, and I know that everything that needs to happen is a lot to fall on any one person's plate.  A couple of the other moderators have been in here and there, but I think lately I'm the only one who's been in consistently.  I know the others have had some life stuff happening.  It would be nice to be able to add more moderators, but I don't have that power.  If I had the know-how and the funds to do it, I'd love to keep the site up and figure out how to divide up the work among other regulars.

There IS a Facebook group, but it's very rarely used.  I think most members want to keep this site separate from their FB presence, so that's where we have an additional hurdle to clear.

When I asked to be added to the FB group, I never got a response, so there's that, too.

Maybe we could start a FB group named something innocuous and not obviously related to the website?

On 2/11/2018 at 9:33 AM, Kailee said:

-Optional subscription for those in a place to make regular contributions; amount determined by the subscriber.

-Reach out to Shybiguy to collaborate and find out what is working for them

-Reach out to similar successful sites in order to generate more ideas for Shys

-Moderators double as admin/create an admin team

-Increase number of moderators

- @FunHas experience in website configuration and coding.  Is willing to contribute her knowledge.

- Create a twitter or Facebook presence? Concerns about privacy and access.

- Create a shybi app

Updated list of ideas.

Yeah I use my phone but I prefer using apps for stuff like this these days. Maybe if everything works out it'll be something to look at doing later down the line :)

In Facebook you are with your name these days :P I personally am not out to anyone and even if I wanted I wouldn't be able to join. I joined for a while one that a mod has but very few members were there. I deleted it because I was almost discovered. I feel a relatively privacy here even tho I have my pic from time to time 

I remember many people  who joined fan pages on fb created separate accounts. I have a separate one just for apps. It' what many people do.

On my main one I never post anything anyway and I'm lucky to have no family members on it so most people either know or wouldn't care. wouldn't mind joining a fb page if there was one but it also needs an admin. It's not very difficult, I think, at least it didn't seem so

While I encourage anyone who has ideas to continuing commenting on this thread, it is just becoming a sea of ideas and we need to focus on the here and now of the site so I took the liberity of reaching out to @la-femme in PM. See below:

Hi,

The topic has brought up many interesting points, but it's just becoming a sea of ideas, which is not going to help the site unless we focus on the here and now. Please let me know if the money gets taken and you hear from the 1&1/service providers. I think the best thing we can do for now in order to keep the site is continue to fund it.

It'll be easier to work towards if you're willing to share the true running costs of the site with us publicly - ideally with verification or screenshots for transparency. It'd also be in your interest however exposing it is to admit how far out of pocket you are,  i know this isn't a very nice position but we all care about the site, It's very likely that most if not all of the monthly costs could be covered. I am personally happy to support if things are made clear but there needs to be an open line of communication. 

In the short-term the members should know what they will get in return from you as Admin. I understand we're all busy and something that has come up on the thread and in the past is the need for others to have admin permissions, not necessarily exactly what you have, but it would take the pressure off you and ensure the running of the site. There are a few mods on the thread that have expressed willingness. 

Once things are out in the open it'll be easier to build the future of Shybi but without this, you're struggling and there's less certainty and incentive for members to support. You don't have to be alone in this.

Thanks. 

It's the only way I can see the site going for now and I really hope she'll get on board with this.

If Admin does respond to this and open up some of you might not agree or see the point but we need to be in majority agreement regarding what changes and maintenance we want to see short-term in return for funding. I suggest a contract signed by @la-femme stating that she will see these things through as Admin.

I do feel uncomfortable suggesting it as she has supported us for so long, but truth is she's suffering for us. If we give, we deserve to know what you're getting in return. Otherwise, we might as well let her close the site for her own sake, even though I know she doesn't want that to happen, if we didn't support a few days ago it would of been reality in the short-term and it could well happen again. 

End note: I'm not doing this because I want to be Admin/anything like that. It's just once you create an audience, you're responsible and you can tell this is something I spend my life doing elsewhere and I'm passionate about it, so that's translated here .Some of you messaged me, like you're upset, angry etc. No I get off on solutions, potential, growth, vision :P Creating and changing online is a powerful thing and all of us have benefited from this site.

That said, this is about as far as I'm willing to go as an individual for now, I don't want to log on to go round in circles. Please let me know what you think off this.

Edited by Hungry

I think it's a good proposition @HungryI agree with you but right now I'm out of any ideas to support it, my mind is engrossed in other things *sigh* 

Just now, bluebell said:

I think it's a good proposition @HungryI agree with you but right now I'm out of any ideas to support it, my mind is engrossed in other things *sigh* 

We don't really need more ideas, but if we don't have a unified space for them, we'd miss the best ones, in the true nature of Shybi it's an open discussion :P We'll see how it goes. Unless something changes, I've said and done all I can, like you said there are other things to think about and also other areas of the forum as well!

I completely agree with @Hungry, if members are going to support the site (many will be happy to), we need to know what’s going on. I think it’s clear that @la-femme cares about the future of the site, otherwise she would have let it die, but we need to know what the plan is going forward. Everything that Hungry talked about above is what needs to be addressed before we can even think about making changes/improvements. I support everything Hungry is saying and I hope la-femme can get on board.

UPDATE : - I "think" we're going to be ok. I called yesterday again and after a bit of clarification and finding of old account/contract numbers the person I was speaking to said they would be happy to reopen the account so I can gain access as long as the payment was made. He did take my paypal details over the phone... but I got this email today asking me to once again phone and provide the details needed which I will shortly do. 

Dear "LF"

Thank you for call, we understand that you wish to clear the balance on your account and have recently updated your payment method on file.

The payment method we have on file is now Direct Debit, however to clear the balance we would need the payment method to be Card or paypal.

If you can us a call on the number below we will be able to sort your account out.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to arrange for myself or one of my colleagues to call you using our free Callback Service. 

So hopefully and with much fingers crossed. Things will be sorted properly with new cloud hosting and access to the domain name once again. I do have to ask for a bit of leeway in when I can get back in here and update as at the moment I am working for an agency and am often out on 12 hours shifts at a few hours notice. So I can't always be on hand to instantly update etc. I do apologise for this. I am currently awaiting a start date for a new permanent job in the NHS which will be much better suited to my own family life and worklife/balance. Anything NHS however as regards paperwork.. those from the UK will know, seems to take forever. So am in a real limbo land at the moment. 

It's one of the reasons I didn't want to let the site die. I AM in a horribly insecure place right now re finances but there is light at the end of the tunnel. I'll address other points made on this thread shortly, but wanted to let you all know where things stand as regards immediate financing.