Femme Lusting

Should we, LGBTQ Americans worry?

With the current administration, divisive politics, emboldening of bigotry, and an absence of checks and balances, the potential Supreme Court Justice seat replacements may do away with the rights our predecessors fought for.  Am I overreacting? (Please, someone tell me I am overreacting!) 

I don't think you're overreacting and I agree there is cause for concern.  That said, politicians and courts generally trail along behind the general population.  It's them we have to win over.  But like you, I see a lot of slimy creatures crawling out from under rocks.  Before they hid themselves because they were afraid of the reception their ideas would evoke.  They seem less afraid now.

Ame

• Upvote 2

I saw a very good post about strengthening legal protection of same-sex families on Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10155823403522705&id=740892704

I know the legal stuff doesn't actually apply to most of us here, but it is good to be aware of and spread around for those who do need it.

• Upvote 1

I definitely worry.  My GF and I are planning to get married, and I’m worried that our rights with that will soon be stripped.  It’s scary to think about all of the ramifications if that happens.  Let alone the laws protecting us in the workplace and so forth.  We are lucky to live in a place where we can freely walk down the street holding hands and be comfortable with that, but there are many more dangerous places that are made even more unsafe with the current administration, especially with what’s going on with the SCOTUS.  It wasn’t that long ago (I remember!) when the LGBT community had few if any rights.  Stonewall and the AIDS crisis and Matthew Shepard are recent history, and I fear for us that more of these events lie ahead.  Fear is a horrible way to go through life, but it’s our reality right now.

• Upvote 1

A friend likes to talk about trans people being the 'canary in the coal mine' of human rights.

The people who whip up fictional fears about what will happen if trans people can pee in peace have been honing their tactics in that battle and are already aiming their fire at other minority rights here, I figure it's similar over there. Once you've picked off trans people by denouncing them as predators who shouldn't be allowed in public facilities you go for the queers, who are obviously also just waiting for an opportunity to pounce on someone of a similar gender as they unsuspectingly change after a swim; then they move onto reproductive rights. That's the three steps I've seen in the UK, but I'm sure it won't stop there.

It's a noxious "you should be normal, we have decided what normal means" agenda and we need to be watchful.  But also not to give in to despair: they are fighting so hard because we have managed to get a lot of change and their vested interests are threatened.  We can win.

• Upvote 1

Thank you all for writing and for comisserating.  While I wished for someone to say, "Oh, Heather, you're overreacting!", I knew that was wishful thinking.  However, I feel some consolation in knowing I'm not alone in this. ❤️ 

I will say I do think you are overreacting. But for a different reason. I think the current administration could absolutely attempt to return our entire society to the 60s/70s era. The reason I do not think it will happen is because the vast majority of Americans are for LGBTQ rights. Even if it’s closeted. I live in a very small rural Christian middle of America town and people being openly gay isn’t an issue. So my hope is conservatives and liberals will eventually come together and protect all the rights everybody has fought for. Women’s, Gay, Minority.

Must be overreacting.I am not alone in my family that is in LGBT community.My girlfriend,she is a post op TS and knows I love her.I had an uncle that commited suicide when I was 26,he was gay.I have an aunt that is a lesbian,she married her partner in Janaury.I am a parent of two trans kids also,Oldest is bigender living and dressing as female.Youngest,he is gender fluid.They know I love them no matter what and this is who they are.Adopted them 5 years ago giving them a better life.My middle kid,he is a normal 14 year old happy the way he is.

While there are definitely an increasing number of individuals who are in favor of LGBTQ+ rights, that really doesn't have any bearing on what people in same-sex relationships need to be concerned about under the current administration. The government has the power to role back progress in LGBT+ rights regardless of what the majority of the citizens want. While this may change with the next election cycle (or may take much longer than that depending on the composition of the Supreme Court), it has the potential to ruin lives until then.

And for everyone who does have an accepting family, you can find plenty of anecdotes to the contrary.

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2018 at 2:33 PM, Femme Lusting said:

With the current administration, divisive politics, emboldening of bigotry, and an absence of checks and balances, the potential Supreme Court Justice seat replacements may do away with the rights our predecessors fought for.  Am I overreacting? (Please, someone tell me I am overreacting!) 

While Roe V Wade remains at risk (I don’t believe there’s any chance that Kavanaugh will *not* be confirmed as a Supreme Court justice this fall, since McConnell, et al change the Senate rules to suit their agenda), the rights of all in this country who are not straight white males are at risk. The time to act is now, before the midterms, before it’s too late. Call your electeds and let them know which issues you care about, on a regular basis. Get ready to vote this November. Help others (especially marginalized PoC) get registered to vote or get to their polling places. Join a Sister District group. I’m sorry to sound dire, but you are absolutely not overreacting.

My point was that I believe in humanity and I believe even if this admin tries to take away rights Americans will fight for everybody. 

I just got back from the UK visiting my gf I have to say I saw many gay and lesbian people there so much more then in America midwest I was relaxed to be myself there.. Now I truly believe that we as a society is advancing in the way we think to the LGBT communities everywhere and someday soon we will be free to live our lives as we should and meant to without fear of others prejudice comments or hatred .. It's only going to get better.. 

• Upvote 1

Reading all these posts from last year and now womens rights in the US are being stripped further with an all out ban on abortion in many states. I watch the news and it feels like a nightmare unfolding. I saw all the women protesting in Handmaid's Tale costumes and I didn't think it was exaggerated at all. How far will all this madness go. Trans rights, Gay rights, Women's rights, Racism. Maybe I don't have the right to an opinion , as a Canadian, but land of the free, my ass! And it's not just the Orange faced Buffoon at the front ,it's a messed up mentality of a good chunk of the US population . So glad I live on the Non Giliad side of the border 

10 minutes ago, Androgynygrl said:

How far will all this madness go.

Not very far.

Although I by no means advocate any complacency, I do advocate "take a deep breath.....let it out....." and then take the long view.  There is an ebb and flow to things.  Looking at the big picture, say over a span of 50-100 years, we (LGBT) have come sooooo far.  And the genie is out of the bottle, and is not going back in.  But still, ebb and flow.  Because of the very fact we have had such tremendous gains, such a growing wider acceptance that is gaining momentum at an exponential rate...for that very reason, we must expect exactly what we have: a backlash that is commensurate.  Nobody fights more viciously than people who are "losing" and are on the "defensive" (that is the radical conservatives, bigots, extreme right wing, etc.).  They are losing (have lost, technically, as far as I am concerned) and why should anybody expect them (human nature being what it is) to pleasantly shrug their shoulders and concede?  So there will be ugliness, and escalation of ugliness.  But as far as our rights, and what we have gained, well I view it always as being of necessity a "3 steps forward and 2 steps back process".  Gains and a backlash.  Gains and a backlash.  

The Trump Administration's days are numbered and he and his cronies will one day be gone (very likely sooner rather than later).  The Democrats will re-take control of the Senate in the next election (and that is a fact, just the mathematics of the map, and the only thing that could derail that would be Democrats shooting themselves in the foot, but as long as they can fire off without hitting their own foot, then we will have the Senate).  The status of the Supreme Court is very unfortunate and a major setback boding some ill for the future....but that is just one branch, losing some battles there does not mean the war is lost, as there are other avenues of redress.  

Bottom line:  The future (long view) is bright, so I am keeping my sunglasses handy.  Yeah, some clouds are going to roll past, some nasty storms to temporarily duck for some cover, but I am still keeping those sunglasses handy.  The future is bright.  Because remember this:  There will be a backlash to the backlash, and a commensurate one.  So the more viciously bigots choose to fight......the more the fence-sitters are going to end up swinging over to our side.  As long as we keep our cool, we stay nice and friendly, and happy and smiling....and never return in kind the nastiness....we win.  The 3 steps forward and 2 steps back is a difficult, but ultimately triumphant, march.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@CallistoDidNotWin I hope you're right . The news tend to sensationalize and I know that but I worry that for some the pendulum swung too far left so their fear response is to send it really far right. What is needed is balance in the middle but I'm not sure what that looks like . You live in a Country divided hopefully someone comes along to bridge the gap . I'm the grand daughter of a Holocaust survivor and my grandmother always said no one had a clue until it was too late. I'm not about fear mongering but I really hope we learn some lessons and history isn't repeated. Time will tell I guess. Again I don't live in the US or vote in your elections so my opinion doesn't mean shit . My personal belief is that religion should be completely removed from governments. Secular society all the way, until that happens no one is truly free.  

Edited by Androgynygrl
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Oh yes @Androgynygrl, I get what you are saying and where you are coming from, and your feelings are absolutely valid.  There are things to fear, there is going to be some nastiness to endure, no doubt.  

But of course, that is still why I say "take a deep breath.....let it out....."  And of course, I must remember every day to practice what I preach.  I have had, in the past, more than a wee bit of an anger management problem.  So, I always need to remind myself "take a deep breath....let it out...."

And a footnote: I have often wished I lived in Canada, especially the last few years....for obvious reasons I don't even need to elaborate, do I?  :wink:  Or maybe the UK.  Or maybe just anyplace other than here where so very many people seem to have their head stuck so very far up their..... errr......ahem .....anger managment....taking a deep breath.....:rolleyes:

Edited by CallistoDidNotWin
  • Upvote 1