MimiCaro

What type of art do you pursue?

Many artists or art enthusiasts don't just pursue one type of art. I am just curious what type of art everyone is drawn to and why.

I am drawn to the details of strokes in paintings and the textures displayed. Also I wont even look at a painting with pastels in it. However in drawings it is the overall picture and how the piece inspires me to try something new. I am not supremely musically inclined because I "feel" deep tones and I hear high tones. Pottery, glass and basket weaving I look at technique and glass/coloring. Writing I have a system/cycle I read in.  

Yet when I paint it is in primary colors and shades. (Red, blue, yellow, white and black) Also i am predominantly an abstract painter but have done flowers, landscapes and waterscapes.  Then drawing I do line art with sharpie pens. Also I do large gauge wire wrapping on jewelry. 

So tell me what art pulls you??

I don't paint, I lack the talent, but I do appreciate painting. My mother is a gifted painter, and has sold quite a few paintings, but I didn't inherit that particular talent.

I do a bit of writing, but haven't posted anything here, and likely won't. I have an itch to try my hand at writing fiction and perhaps  erotica. I have a story I've been turning over in my head, something of a thriller, that I would like to try to write down. it probably wouldn't be publishable, but you never know.

• Like 1

@Sithandra nice. I love hearing about people's talents. I am interested reading anything given.  Keep up working on it.

So if you paint, do you prefer oils, watercolors, or acrylics?

@Sithandra I paint with acrylics and watercolors. Oils are too messy for me. 

Mom used to do oils, but really doesn't anymore, These days it's almost always watercolors and some acrylics. Most of my family was artistically talented in one way or another. With Mom it's painting. With others it's music. I'm the only one who writes. I haven't played an instrument since high school band. (It was clarinet, in case you're wondering.) But I was really never very good at it. I had a few piano lessons, but never really got very far. I consider my father artistically talented in that he's a mechanical genius. I don't know if he'd call that art, but I say his art is his machines. So art runs in the family a bit.

So awesome that you found your own place in the art world. And I, too, would call your dad a mechanical genius. 

My paternal grandfather worked with his hands. He taught me leather working, basket weaving and wood carving. My father taught me wood burning. My maternal grandfather was a self taught aeronautical engineer and artist in drawing. My maternal grandmother was a wiz with formulas and numbers. She could as sing and play instruments. (Born in Kentucky) 

My mother could sing and draw. My sister who was deaf could sing low bars of songs, draw and was athletic. 

Then there is me. An art enthusiast who paints, draws, makes jewelry, enjoys formulas and numbers (but hates accounting). 

I draw, paint, write and I sing. I do a lot of journaling which I'm not sure if its art. But I do draw and paint a lot in my journals. its very soothing for me. 

@riatheshortone  Journaling can bring out a lot of emotion and insight. Even soothe as well as entice the dreamy state. So drawing and painting are kind of automatic inside of journaling

I keep a journal in fountain pen, but had not thought of it as an art.

Calligraphy and journaling an outlet. It is most definitely something artistic

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MimiCaro said:

Calligraphy and journaling an outlet. It is most definitely something artistic

Thats amazing that you do journalling. I do too. I find it very helpful. 

Also want to say i love your list of favourite movies :D

@Sithandra I honestly didn't think of journaling as an art form either. I used to just write with whatever writing utensil I had on hand. But lately, I've seen so many journalists that bring art into their journals. Its quite fascinating to me. they do paintings, decorate pages, create cartoons, make collages, etc. 

@riatheshortone To me, the fountain pen matters because a journal is a form of self expression, whether or not it's art, and I like the feeling of watching words appear on paper as a smooth;y writing pen glides across the paper. A good notebook and a good pen can make for an almost sensual pleasure. I also find that typing takes up a part of brain's limited processing capacity, and that just having the words flow onto the page means that I spend more of my mental energy on creating and composing, and less on the physical act of typing.

On 3/14/2019 at 6:49 AM, Rani said:

Thats amazing that you do journalling. I do too. I find it very helpful. 

Also want to say i love your list of favourite movies :D

Thank you about my movie selections :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, MimiCaro said:

Thank you about my movie selections :rolleyes:

You do have great taste in movies. I like how you had umrao jaan and bride and prejudice there

@Rani well I started watching hindi in late 80s early 90s and fell in love with them. My first showing was first Umrao Jaan. Then Lagaan. After that it was whatever I could get my hands on

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MimiCaro said:

@Rani well I started watching hindi in late 80s early 90s and fell in love with them. My first showing was first Umrao Jaan. Then Lagaan. After that it was whatever I could get my hands on

That's amazing. I like those movies too. The 90s had some great movies. I would also recommend ek ladki ko dekha to aisa laga, pink, lawman etc. They are bit more into social issues and and ek ladki is the first lesbian mainstream bollywood movie

Ooh I didnt know about that one. I just liked watching the drama.