Irishrose

Greek Islands

29 posts in this topic

I'm planning some island hopping - anyone been and have any they absolutely think shouldn't be missed? Flying in and out of Athens!

I'd love to see Skiathos!!! It looks awesome.

Has anyone here ever been I wonder?

I'd love to see Skiathos!!! It looks awesome.

Has anyone here ever been I wonder?

Might be a while waiting on a reply :(

I only did Thira/Santorini, Mykonos and Paros I'm afraid, so no good for Skiathos!

I've never been to Greece at all. Skiathos is somewhere I picked out when I was researching. Maybe someone will reply soon for the pair of us :)

lol :(

Hey Irishrose,

I was just in Greece last month. I went to Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, and Corfu also I stayed in Athens for a few days. I would recommend all of them though Crete was just okay nothing to write home about but I didn't see the entire island. The food is amazing and make sure you have a shot of Ouzo it brings people together lol.

Mykonos there is this little spot near the beach that makes the most incredible crepes you will ever eat I personally recommend the Bailey's and Chocolate crepe.

Santorini take the donkey ride down the mountain lol

Crete it kinda of reminded me of Athens

Corfu we took a boat tour and they took us to a spot for water sports and skinny dipping lol. One of the best times I had the entire trip.

Hey Irishrose,

I was just in Greece last month. I went to Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, and Corfu also I stayed in Athens for a few days. I would recommend all of them though Crete was just okay nothing to write home about but I didn't see the entire island. The food is amazing and make sure you have a shot of Ouzo it brings people together lol.

Mykonos there is this little spot near the beach that makes the most incredible crepes you will ever eat I personally recommend the Bailey's and Chocolate crepe.

Santorini take the donkey ride down the mountain lol

Crete it kinda of reminded me of Athens

Corfu we took a boat tour and they took us to a spot for water sports and skinny dipping lol. One of the best times I had the entire trip.

Thanks for the reply! I went a month ago though :wub:

It was amazing! Loved every second. We did Santorini, Mykonos, Paros and a few days in Athens, and I'd recommend any of them to anyone! Think we got the timing right too - I imagine mykonos can be a bit crazy in season! Though that said, thinking of a trip back with a few old LGBT friends at the start of the September craziness next year...

I was in Crete a few years ago, and had a great time, though it was the most untypical Crete holiday I think a 19 year old has ever been on! We did all the historical sites, and a hike down Samaria Gorge, and stayed in Loutro - absolutely idyllic, one of the most relaxing, chilled holidays ever. Never saw a night club or touched a drop of drink, just hiking, swimming, and chilling!

I went to Skiathos in '06 and it was AMAZING!

I think it may be a lot less 'touristy' than Crete, loads to do and see :wub:

Edited by HellsBells

I've been to Skiathos ... and it was great, took a day boat trip out and went swimming and sunbathing on some of the nearby uninhabited glorious little islands .....

I've also been to Rhodes ... omg about 21 years ago .... that was great as well ... party island with culture around every corner ... except in thier 'strip' (can't remember the name of the locality) ... that was grimey unless you'd had a glass or 4 of wine ....

Thanks HellsBells and Jaguar for replying re Skiathos!!!

It just really appeals to me. I might try it soon :)

For the past 3 years I've been holiday to a Greek Island....althought theoretically Cyprus isn't a greek island, but hey ho...half the population is greek so that'll do! lol 2006 was Cyprus (avec family), 2007 was Zante (avec sis) and last year was Corfu (avec mate) and without doubt Cyprus was the best,stayed in Ayia Thekla which was like a 10min drive from Ayia Napa and omg I fell in love with that place and with a bit o' luck I'll be heading back there this year on a girly holiday :happy0167: Think Zante was lowest in the pecking order but I think that's purely because of the location of the accom, it was right slap bang in the centre of Laganas (which is like the clubbing district) which had it's uses but when you wanted a more relaxing night, it proved a lil more difficult! Corfu was lovely as well, stayed in Ipsos which for me had the right balance of livelyness.....if you wanted to go crazy one night you could but you could take the pace a little more slowly if you wanted to :D Only issue with Ipsos was that it was a pebble beach but may be I am a little too old to be building sand castles anyway! lol Awww roll on the summer :hug:

Crete is amazingly beautiful and has some wonderful places to stay along with great beaches and tavernas.

kefalonia, Crete, Corfu, Paros, Kos, and all over mainland Greece..

I would go back in a heartbeat !

Iv been to Zakynthos, it has beautiful sandy beaches and crazy night life. Slept all day and partied till 7am very nite....would love to go back!

I'm off to Zante in August..A clubbing holiday with my mates :D

Can't wait!!

Skiathos is awesome! Very good combination of traditional Greek character and taverns, with modern music/bars. Not so many tourists, still relatively untouched. Small roads going up and down the mountain. You can rent a scooter and go round the whole island- so many little beaches to discover- from big ones with watersports to little desserted ones. Not a clubbing district like Mykonos.. and not a 'dead' scene like Ios or so.. A brilliant combo.. would love to go back ;)

My favourite Greek island is Kefalonia. It is very quiet and you need a car but it has the most amazing views and trip to the top of enos is not to be missed. Hire a jeep for the day and come down by the off road path. If you have a fear of heights steer clear. lol

You can have a day trip to Ithaca or Zante or visa versa. The island was devistated by an massive earthquake in 1953 and a lot of the islanders left and went to America so you will hear the american accent a lot in the tourist season because the young greek americans come to the island to work in family restaurants etc.

Most of the remains of houses destroyed in the earthquake are still there as new houses were just built next door.

As I say very queit but so beautifull

I've been to Corfu, Crete, Cyprus, Santorini and Rhodes and I really enjoyed all of them. I absolutely adored Rhodes, I wish I could have stayed there longer than the one day that I did :( It was just so picturesque. Santorini was beautiful too. The volcano island was really interesting, and the views when we were walking down the (many hundreds of) steps were quite amazing. Corfu was great, but there were so many mosquitos :O My legs looked pizza by the end of the fortnight!

Zakthynos or Zante is great in May or Oct if you have kids under 16, if not be prepared for your kids to join a party island that really livens up June - Sept...no wonder the locals need a good winter rest!" We go in May as have kids but always have an amazing time at the Ilios - highly reccommend staying there.

I've never been any of Greece islands, but i am in Cyprus right now and this island is mindblowing (at least this much what i've seen :D ) the beaches are like in a dream (except on the weekends, then they're full of locals), there are many places to visit for all kind of people :)

I love Rhodes - been there three times and been all over the island. It is beautiful and I love it. Want to go there now!

I love Rhodes - been there three times and been all over the island. It is beautiful and I love it. Want to go there now!

Me too Lindos is gorgeous.

Me too Lindos is gorgeous.

Oh yes.... i love Lindos. And swimming across St Paul's Bay. Oh I suddenly feel home sick for Rhodes :(

Eeee! Greece is my dream destination, this feed just got me very excited! Thanks for all of the tips ladies!