prettybutsilly

Depression - You Are Not Alone

394 posts in this topic

I deal with depression and anxiety.  I feel like too many of us do, and it's a societal problem.  Too much pressure on us coming from so many aspects of our lives, particularly in the US. Many other countries with different cultures have significantly lower rates of depression, more vacation time, more focus on leisure, better healthcare, and many other elements that help keep depression at bay.

In my case, meds have been a life saver, especially with my divorce and custody battle.  I rarely need anything for my anxiety, but helping to keep the depression to a dull roar helps a lot.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people's expectations play a big role in anxiety and depression. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2009 at 2:41 PM, Allysm said:

I have also suffered from PTSD, among the other issues that come along with it. A few months ago I went on Fluvoxamine and Topamax. The change has been incredible. It's like I found myself again.

Warning about Topamax, one potential side effect is memory loss. Normally I have an above-average memory (not just me being arrogant, I have psych tests to prove it) but when I was taking Topamax I often couldn't even recall common words. I honestly think it contributed to me graduating college late. It may still be worth it for you but proceed with caution.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/2/2013 at 8:53 PM, naturally_lovely said:

Depression is super hard. I think I build myself up.. and then accidently fall a little harder than I want to........ a lot. I have a ton to offer but also a lot to learn.

When I was with my husband I used to drink and take medication.

When my husband and I split.. I went off the meds for a while. .but still drank.

When I met the couple... now split.. I was off meds most the time.. but still drank..

Now I am off the meds and I don't drink very much.. I limit myself to ONE drink very occasionally..which is very, very low for me and I can say the decrease of alchol and no medication has really improved my behavior and outlook.

Also I joined a Outdoor group and a hiking meetup group..so I imagine that will help a lot!

Quit the opposite when a few years ago I hadn't taken anything....and then began my medication and felt better after a month.. who knows.

Either way.. depression is hard. I am happy I am pursing more productive and healthy ways to cope.

Yeah I started taking Prozac and started drinking around the same time. Not my brightest decision to say the least. The only information I got on the subject was the manufacturer's packet, which was basically like JUST SAY NO, and my psychiatrist, who made it sound like I could drink as much as I wanted, no problem (one of several incidents that led me to switch doctors) Through somewhat painful trial and error, I have determined that about once a week or less is a decent frequency for me to have alcohol while on the meds. If you don't know how your body reacts yet, err on the side of caution. You'll regret overdoing it a lot more than being excessively abstemious.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2013 at 0:36 PM, rachelsteele said:

I have suffered a lot with depression, anxiety and panic attacks throughout my adult years, have been on anti depressents, (citralphalm? not sure if i spelt that right) and have also been to councilling sessions. The couciling sessions were pretty awful for me, they bouyed me up at the time but as soon as i went home/to work etc it all came crashing back in again.

I found something new on the internet though while I was searching for answers and i found a theory called "Cognitive Behaviourial Therapy* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_behavioral_therapy

This method really did help me far more than the pills and the councilling did, i found a website called "Mood Gym" which is pretty much a work book online which encourages you to work through your negitive thoughts and feelings at your own pace and in your own time. It definately helped me a lot, although i cannot say i am cured as I still have really bad days.

I really hope this helps someone. For all you girlies suffering out there, Bug Hugs. You are not Alone. xx

CBT is so useful. As with anything to treat depression, it's not a panacea but it has been a great help. It's literally saved my life on occasions when I or others were able to talk me down by pointing out the distortions in my thinking that were causing me to feel suicidal. The best part is that you can do it independently, even if you don't have access to medical care.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2011 at 3:19 PM, ladylust83 said:

 

I've heard that meditation can be helpful and the NHS are finally coming to realise this and are offering mindfulness therapy, which has been shown to be very effective for depression.

Mindfulness based cognitive therapy is quite useful. I took a class based on this book and while I did not keep up 100% I still use a lot of the techniques and ideas. https://g.co/kgs/nqy9pj

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2010 at 9:38 AM, LoriCal said:

Ladies

 

never go off antidepressants without the help of a MD. It landed me in the hospital. Depression is an illness that needs to be treated. If you don't feel better continue to see your Dr or find a new one. Also, try to educate yourself and those close to you.

Bumping this. Please please please be careful if you taper off your meds. Do it slowly and check it with your doctor. Withdrawal from antidepressants can be really nasty, up to the point of making you suicidal. Don't rush it.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Team Anxiety, ADHD, & Depression checking in! Oh, don't forget grief. 

About 9 years ago, I finally faced the fact that I needed to stay on medicine, possibly forever. And that's okay.

I also got a kickass therapist this year and she's helping a lot. It has been probably 20 years or more since I was in therapy. 

I was very close to suicide a couple times this year, but I had enough clear moments to make me call my sister or wake up my husband, etc. Running away on a 4 day retreat by myself did a WORLD of good for my healing. Journaling, praying, taking care of myself. I'm practicing being super nice to myself and not allowing mean self-talk. And I'm trying to be super nice to the kids. Making life easier. 

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/8/2017 at 4:18 AM, N00Bi said:

Team Anxiety, ADHD, & Depression checking in! Oh, don't forget grief. 

About 9 years ago, I finally faced the fact that I needed to stay on medicine, possibly forever. And that's okay.

I also got a kickass therapist this year and she's helping a lot. It has been probably 20 years or more since I was in therapy. 

I was very close to suicide a couple times this year, but I had enough clear moments to make me call my sister or wake up my husband, etc. Running away on a 4 day retreat by myself did a WORLD of good for my healing. Journaling, praying, taking care of myself. I'm practicing being super nice to myself and not allowing mean self-talk. And I'm trying to be super nice to the kids. Making life easier. 

I have been struggling with depression for most of my adult life and I suspect possible started in my childhood, I was on meds off and on but never saw a therapist or a psychiatrist.  These days not on meds have good and bad days, bad days are real bad though, kind where I dont want to get out of bed kind of days and having such an overwhelming feeling constantly.  But I am trying to sort myself out. 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@JadeBleu15 I hope you can find the balance of treatments and self - care that works best for you. It's not easy. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, N00Bi said:

@JadeBleu15 I hope you can find the balance of treatments and self - care that works best for you. It's not easy. 

Thank you. It Isn't. But all will be well. As I mentioned to another friend here, We stole all the cookies from the darkness and brought them into the light. It was a covert operation. :wink:

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I started taking all my buproprion (wellbutrin) in the morning instead of morning & night. NP told me to. I take it for ADHD, and for that, these past 4 days of 300mg at once have been magical. I'm focusing and doing things! BUT, I'm crashing HARD mid-afternoon, feeling depressed and exhausted. This sucks. Hopefully I'll get ahold of NP tomorrow & she'll have ideas.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, N00Bi said:

So I started taking all my buproprion (wellbutrin) in the morning instead of morning & night. NP told me to. I take it for ADHD, and for that, these past 4 days of 300mg at once have been magical. I'm focusing and doing things! BUT, I'm crashing HARD mid-afternoon, feeling depressed and exhausted. This sucks. Hopefully I'll get ahold of NP tomorrow & she'll have ideas.

Some things to suggest....

If you are not already taking the sustained-release version (SR), that would likely help - it releases more slowly to keep levels steady over 12 hours.

Splitting the dose between morning and noon might also help. Possibly even a higher dose in the morning and lower at noon.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you! I'll check out which version I'm on and whether or not it's generic. I've read that there were some problem generics with wellbutrin in the past. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sigh....joining the club. Anxiety here (but pretty well managed most of the time) and treatment-resistant depression...I remember something changing when I was around 12, right around when I started puberty. No idea if it was a hormonal thing or what, but I do know that I have never felt "normal" since then. I've tried many combos of meds...currently on Lexapro & Wellbutrin. A few months ago I stumbled upon something that actually worked, and it was so amazing to feel normal again that I cried from happiness. Best I had felt in my entire adult life, but it wasn't sustainable. Funny thing is that I recently discovered that there are clinical trials happening now on the combo that I stumbled upon. Maybe it really will work someday. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BellaLuna said:

Sigh....joining the club. Anxiety here (but pretty well managed most of the time) and treatment-resistant depression...I remember something changing when I was around 12, right around when I started puberty. No idea if it was a hormonal thing or what, but I do know that I have never felt "normal" since then. I've tried many combos of meds...currently on Lexapro & Wellbutrin. A few months ago I stumbled upon something that actually worked, and it was so amazing to feel normal again that I cried from happiness. Best I had felt in my entire adult life, but it wasn't sustainable. Funny thing is that I recently discovered that there are clinical trials happening now on the combo that I stumbled upon. Maybe it really will work someday. 

If you think it's hormonally linked, do you have any symptoms of PCOS? I do and find my depression gets worse when I'm off birth control. Also hooray for finding a combo that worked. :)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My meds were switched to 300Mg wellbutrin XL for in the morning. I'll pick them up tomorrow.

Citalopram has been my depression med since....hmmm...2008? 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If XL keeps you awake at night (which it probably won't if you were previously taking a nighttime dose without problems) or doesn't have enough effect during the day, please do ask about SR with your next prescription (I know it's too expensive to just go changing randomly!). XL is released over 24 hours, while SR is over 12, so it seems to me like SR might be closer to your needs based on what you've described.

Feel free to ignore me. I'm in a pharmacology class right now and kinda geeking on meds.

(Also long history of depression and anxiety, so not just butting into this thread with no context.)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sr is what I was on. It was responsible for the crash. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now