shylady31

New York Was Such A Let Down.

59 posts in this topic

I've lived quite a few places, but NYC was my favorite. Anything you could want to do or see is there and you can find the best food. The touristy stuff is all bullshit (which is the case for most places) and the whole times square/central Manhattan area is terrible. But the Bronx with the botanical garden and Arthur ave or the lower east side or all the super cool stuff like the Cloisters...awesome. You just have to go to the places where the people who live there go. Man, I miss it.

NYC was never a destination i cared to go to but my friend wanted to go and who am I to say no to a trip?

It was better than I thought it would be.

It's your typical big city, but there is lots to see and do.

Central park was a beautiful walk and Time Square was great to see at night and during the day (for shopping!).

I find when you travel.. don't set expectations, but be up for an adventure :)

my sis and bro in law just got back from ny . it was their first ever visit and they loved it.

i feel like i'll feel the same when i finally do go, but who knows. we'll have to see. :)

I've been to NYC quite a number of times and I love it! The energy, the bustle, museums, and people. I found the people all had a certain energy that is just not present in Canada ;) I found the people no more or less friendly than any other major metropolis

Thanks for your honest viewpoint on the city, it's one I've never been to! or one I fancy visiting. I guess every city in the world can be a let down compared to how they are portrayed in the films x

Oh no what a shame ! I had always wanted to go to NYC since I was little (I think it was home alone that did it for me) we got married in Maine and honeymoon in New York for Halloween weekend it was amazing I loved every second. I didn't see hardly anything off putting. We picniced in the park, visited top of the rock, and wondered around loads out feet ached but gosh I was happy. We've been twice since and I still adore it. Dumbo is so cute and there's loads to do I doubt I will ever be bored of the city.

As a native and proud NY'er I have to say that going to NY and doing lame touristy things is a way different experience then doing NY out of the lens of a NY'er.

There is something for everyone in the city. Whether it be dining, arts, music, nature,culture, partying you will be underwhelmed if you go about it without the guidance of a local. There are neighborhoods in NYC as well as the other 4 boroughs that make NY a great city to be explored.

I'm sorry your experience was less than optimal - but definitely wouldn't write NY off (for those who want to come but never have).

I have been twice and I LOVED it!! I would definitely go again if the opportunity came up!

I haven't been in NYC in 17 years or so. I had a nice time the last time I was there. I expect the hustle and bustle of a big city. I wouldn't mind visiting again sometime and going to museums etc.