Alex88

Lesbian Themed Movies

62 posts in this topic

Having suddenly decided to freak my dad out and watch some lesbian themed films on his netflix account I came to the realisation that generally they are crap! Now by no means do I say I've seen them all, so far I've watched A marines story (terrible acting), loving Annabelle (terrible acting, don't get me on a full rant about that one cos I already spent half hour verbally abusing my gf for saying it was good), the truth about Jane (actually I thought that one was good), chasing amy (can't think why Netflix put it under gay category when it basically says lesbians can be converted) and gray matters (thought this was alright in a cheesy American romcom kind of way). But is there really no good quality lesbian movies out there??? I don't just mean relative to the lesbian genre, I mean to stand up against any other film it still is good! Good acting, good story line!!!! I shall continue my hunt for a decent film but seriously, how can we have some great tv shows about lesbians but no films?!?!?!

So that's my rant, input welcome but be prepared for a heated debate! I get a bit fiery about films

Haha Callie came up against a similar issue a couple weeks ago! I hated Loving Annabelle too, I tried watching it because I'd heard it was really good but I'm not sure I even finished it. The only one I've ever seen that I really liked (loved!) is Imagine Me & You, and I don't think that one's on Netflix.

Haha Callie came up against a similar issue a couple weeks ago! I hated Loving Annabelle too, I tried watching it because I'd heard it was really good but I'm not sure I even finished it. The only one I've ever seen that I really liked (loved!) is Imagine Me & You, and I don't think that one's on Netflix.

No don't think it is, might have a perusal online though!

I feel your pain, I have watched some utter crap in my search and have not found anything remotely good other than imagine me and you!

Most of the lesbian themes movies I've seen have been real downers. Imagine Me & You and Better Than Chocolate are good. Bloomington is actually better than most, if only because of the smoking hot sexual chemistry between the leads, but it trails off into the requisite angst and downbeat ending

I find that those kind of films are unrealistic because they are crammed into a short time frame. It's like you meet a woman and overnight fall in love. I like films where the characters get to know each other over time and the relationship builds. Much more believable.

In fact, I've read quite a few books instead, you can build the characters in your own head then. Anyone else read any good books?

Not a film, but Orange is the New Black. Well acted and although I was a little squeamish with the explicit sex scenes and graphic references to sex activity was very captivated by the intensity.

Of course, isn't that the way it is?

Not a prude..just very private and typical virgo....explicit and public displays make me uncomfortable. Be it a man or a woman.

call me corny but i loved "loving annabelle" except that it was left unfinished..I also was a huge fan of "prayers for bobby" and "but I'm a cheerleader" ..

I loved Imagine me and you.... Great chemisty between the lead actress`s and you can`t beat good old british humor! :D

Most of the lesbian themes movies I've seen have been real downers. Imagine Me & You and Better Than Chocolate are good. Bloomington is actually better than most, if only because of the smoking hot sexual chemistry between the leads, but it trails off into the requisite angst and downbeat ending

I loved Better than Chocolate and Imagine Me& You can watch them over and over. I have not seen Bloomington will have to look up that one. I have not heard of any other new good ones. I might try the book thing Like Madcow suggest.

Imagine me and you is such a cute movie. Def see it if you can.

Kys Mig (Kiss Me) Swedish film, chemistry between two leads excellent and very good storyline. I've watched it a few times would definitely recommend it.

Having suddenly decided to freak my dad out and watch some lesbian themed films on his netflix account I came to the realisation that generally they are crap! Now by no means do I say I've seen them all, so far I've watched A marines story (terrible acting), loving Annabelle (terrible acting, don't get me on a full rant about that one cos I already spent half hour verbally abusing my gf for saying it was good), the truth about Jane (actually I thought that one was good), chasing amy (can't think why Netflix put it under gay category when it basically says lesbians can be converted) and gray matters (thought this was alright in a cheesy American romcom kind of way). But is there really no good quality lesbian movies out there??? I don't just mean relative to the lesbian genre, I mean to stand up against any other film it still is good! Good acting, good story line!!!! I shall continue my hunt for a decent film but seriously, how can we have some great tv shows about lesbians but no films?!?!?!

So that's my rant, input welcome but be prepared for a heated debate! I get a bit fiery about films

I thought that Blue is the Warmest Colour had decent portrayas and a perceptive look at the challenge of being young and being bi. It won the Golden Palme award and that's a wonderful step in the right direction.

Although it's not a movie i just started watching The L Word. I'm only half way through the 1st season but really enjoying it so far! And developing some majoe crushes. :)

I can relate to your feelings on lesbian films as I recently went on a bit of a viewing binge. After most of them I felt that the stories were contrived or left unfinished. However, a couple have stuck with me: "Lost and Delirious," which I'll admit is depressing, but I liked it just the same, and "I Can't Think Straight," which deals not only with sexuality but two people coming together in spite of cultural differences. I've come to the conclusion that any lesbian movie is a toss-up for me in terms of whether I'll enjoy it or not.

Not a movie, but I recently started watching "Orange is the New Black" (another post also referenced this show) and I'm completely addicted to it!

Kys Mig (Kiss Me) Swedish film, chemistry between two leads excellent and very good storyline. I've watched it a few times would definitely recommend it.

I second that, I really enjoyed the movie and probably the only good lesbian themed movie I've seen. I don't think it's on netflix but if you can get ahold of the subtitled version I'd recommend it.

Trailer:

Loved Kyss Mig. Best lesbian themed film so far I think. The blonde is SO hot :O

I just came upon Bloomington today and you're absolutely right... i thought it was a fantastic movie until the not so happy ending pissed me off >.<

After reading this thread I ordered "Imagine me and you" on Amazon. It arrived yesterday. I told my g/f we will watch it together on Valentines Day when I go over to her house for breakfast. :-)

southernfan91 wrote:

I just came upon Bloomington today and you're absolutely right... i thought it was a fantastic movie until the not so happy ending pissed me off >.<

Pissed off is right. The whole thing was a huge lost opportunity. They could have had that relationship really go somewhere.

southernfan91 wrote:

Pissed off is right. The whole thing was a huge lost opportunity. They could have had that relationship really go somewhere.

I couldnt agree with you more. It was a great sex romp but I hated that I wasted time with such a horrible ending. I had high high hopes for the end:(

The Incredibly True Adventures of Two Girls in Love

Sweet and funny

When Night is Falling

Artistic, moody, and sensual

Both from the 90s, so might only be able to get them on DVD, that's what I did. Gosh, I was old enough to see them at the art cinema when they were new.

About cherry and this other one I forget shes all obsessed with her freind and drugging andeling her at night and kills her boyfriend who get in the way.YouTube it :)

Not sure if you will like this one Alex but you could try, 'A Perfect Ending.'

And another that I haven't seen but the trailer does look very good, 'Circimstance'

Edited by shy1978