Ice

What Do You Think About Long Distance Relationship?

168 posts in this topic

I was in one and now we are happily married. It doesn't work for everyone, but if it is meant to be, then no amount of distance will change that. I have also been in some that did not work out. Every relationship is different.

All the doubts,arguments, "out of sight, out of mind" feelings, and as much as I love traveling, I really hate flying, but it was the only way to see each other when my man got a job in another state. So been there, done that, and I'm not going to do it again.

I was in one for 3 years and after everything fell apart I had the dramatic "I'm never doing long distance again!!" moment. Then a few years passed and I grew up Lol. I realized that distance wasn't the real issue. Distance, combined with his & my personalities and that particular moment in our lives, was the issue. Now I think I'd be great at long distance, because I'm in a place mentally where I don't want/need someone in my space 24/7. However, that's easy to say when single haha.

I think LDRs work for some people because they're built for them or the timing is right for them to have an LDR without much issue. Every relationship is different because the people in the relationship are different.

I don't want it, and I don't think I can handle it.

How I keep falling for women on the other side of the planet though, I'll never know :wacko:

I don't mind long distance relationships. I have been in one not so long ago that lasted about a year and a half and it was so fulfilling in many ways. I am a little bit like Vita, I also need the feeling of longing. It's so beautiful and painful at the same time. I love it and hate it. But it rouses my deepest of feelings and desires. It inspires me in ways that often aren't the same when the person is always around me, or lives with me.

That is not to say I don't want to see the person. I still would want to spend real time together, even if it is not as often. But I won't dismiss someone just because they are long distance. Sometimes you just can't choose who you end up having a connection with.

I do need my space and I sometimes can feel overwhelmed or smothered but I'm also very needy. I'm a contradiction. Sometimes I don't even understand myself lol.

Due to work commitments, I've spent half of my marriage in a LDR, probably close to 10 years. I find it comes down to my frame of mind, whether I cope with it or not. As Badshoe said above, it's great to have your own space sometimes, I really find some time away from each other makes our relationship closer, it stops us getting into petty arguments and makes the small stuff unimportant. Counting the days til we're together again can be so exciting too, but when I have a bit of a crisis or need support, it's the worst relationship to cope with, the loneliness and longing is sometimes unbearable. If I was honest, I wouldn't choose a LDR.

I've never been in an LDR but I do like to do my own thing so maybe this could work....However I think we'd need to be in the same country just because logistically & financially it would make it so much easier to see each other when we could...

I am fine with long distance relationships provided the following:

1) The relationship started when we were together physically and we've spent enough time to get to know each other that we want to pursue a long distance relationship.

2) It's not a permanent thing and both people are working towards being together again.

I'm not a fan of them. I've never had one that worked. Of course, I also suck at long distance friendships and familial relationships too. I guess I just need people to be nearby for me to care enough about the relationship.

They are extremely hard. I was in a 2 year long distance relationship with my girlfriend. We are now currently living together and engaged to be married. If you want something to work, you really gotta work at it. She was worth it.

It works for some people, if both are willing to put in the effort. For me, it hasn't worked out.

I have tried, but I like to be able to see a bf/gf at least every weekend.

Tried once...not for me x

Honestly? I wouldn't do it again. There was too much room to be obsessive about the other person (on both ends), and it ended up feeling more like a super-clingy friendship than a romantic thing.

Of course, if I were to start a relationship with somebody and then after we'd been together a while one of us had to move away it might be worth keeping it up, but it'd really depend on the situation.

Never been in such a relationship, but I fail to see how it can work.

Been there and done it but it's hard work

Same here , some people can, some people can't. I need the person near me, maybe I'm not strong enough for long distance relationship.

I can't handle it. I am very much a loner but I crave the connection with a partner. I need the touching and attention.

It may work for some, everyone is different, but I could not do it. I need to be close to the person I share love and intimacy with. I am very hands on and need the physical contact. Not just sex, touch. In all its forms.

I think (from experience) that they are ridiculously hard. The emotions involved are so amplified...at the end of the day the good feels better and the bad feels worse. It is so easy to be in your head about every little thing because...well, at the end of the day it is all you have.

I also think it is hard to balance your physical life with relationship life. It is so easy to want to Skype/facebook/etc. constantly, and it can just be so unhealthy.

I think as long as there's a goal or endgame to it a long distance relationship can work, but it won't work as a forever arrangement. Eventually feelings will grow to the point where it won't sustain without lots of pain and/or sadness. For those that can make it work - I truly admire you.

On a personal note, I'm not against long distance relationships at all. I guess I'm a little more apprehensive than I used to be, but experiences shape viewpoints. Although I would never rule out anything 100% it would take someone INCREDIBLY special to get me to go there again.

I've had three long distance relationships, and all three brought me joy and heartbreak. I think that there has to be an agreement to end the distance between you, because endless years of waiting to be together puts a definite strain on you. You and your partner have to be on the same page and willing to make sacrifices for each other. It is the most difficult and most rewarding experience of my life, but I'm not sure I could open myself up to do it again.

Having personally never had one, I have no idea. For me I don't consider it, and would probably avoid at all costs because I need regular contact with a loved one.

For me I don't consider it, and would probably avoid at all costs...

No one deliberately gets into a long distance relationship. It happens and either you come to terms with the limitations... or you don't.

No one deliberately gets into a long distance relationship. It happens and either you come to terms with the limitations... or you don't.

I did not imply that. All I'm stating is that I wouldn't consider getting into one i.e. If I started talking to someone from thousands of miles away then the distance for me would be too Big an issue to overcome.

Four of my five relationships, with women, have been online. Two were in other states. Two were in other countries. Three ended it first. Not due to distance. If it had been up to me, all of those would have went on much longer. Especially the first & the last. I do enjoy holding, touching & kissing. However, since the mental & emotional connection is even more important to me, I can be quite satisfied with something online. Plus, being semi disabled, more of a homebody & loner, I don't go out as much & that may not do for some women. I work from home & am online much of the day. I can devote more time to a lady this way. Though, it would be nice to find someone who lived, within a few hours of me, so we could see each other occasionally.