satehen

Tattoos- What To Expect.

50 posts in this topic

Are we talking a swat or the bearhug and backleg kick scratch?

Lol just piercing the skin, but not digging in claws.

I think I'll survive it, then. My cat was a demon back in her kitten days. P:

Thanks for posting this, very helpful! I am getting my first tattoo on Friday! Exciting!

its really not that bad. it hurts, but its more like an annoying type pain. :no:

Thanks for posting this, very helpful! I am getting my first tattoo on Friday! Exciting!

How did it go?

I was due to go in to get mine finished the day after I found out I was pregnant! Needless to say I had to cancel. It looks good as it is, just needs a bit more shading and a few more lines.

It went really well thank you! I absolutely love it!! I agree with what soutnerner101 says, it just feels a bit annoying and then he moved on anyway! The problem is it has given me a couple more ideas...ohhh dear lol.

Your cover up tattoo sounds interesting! It must be pretty big to take that long, but that's good you are happy with how it is at the moment. Congratulations on the pregnancy!! :)

Thank you. I have a thread in this forum with a picture of it. It's quite a large rose.

I appreciate the detailed advice. I have not been brAve enough to commit to a tattoo yet, but have a vision of what I would do. This helps ease my fears, nice to form a plan so there is no regrets

I have 11 tattoos. some good some not so good. They all have stories so I don't really care if they are a show piece or not. I never found that tattoos hurt. If you can handle a sun burn you can handle a tattoo.

Only piece of advice I would give is choose wisely about location. If you ever want to have kids and want a epidural, or get into a accident and require a spinal block some doctors will not go thru ink. I was glad I did not have any ink along my spine two years ago when I was in a accident. Had I had ink along my spine I would not have got the spinal block when I needed emergency surgery.

wow this post was super helpful! I have been thinking of getting a tattoo for a while and I would have never thought of that.

I'm having my second tattoo in a couple weeks, my first one was on the back of my right shoulder so I mean yeah it hurt some because it's a tattoo, but it wasn't bad overall. I'm getting this one on my left forearm (on the inside forearm) and I'm curious as to what to expect. I know it depends a lot on your artist and how heavy or light handed they are (the guy doing mine is super sweet and really talented as an artist and I've been told he is pretty light handed) but I'm wondering if anyone reading this can give me some insight on what to expect?

I'm having my second tattoo in a couple weeks, my first one was on the back of my right shoulder so I mean yeah it hurt some because it's a tattoo, but it wasn't bad overall. I'm getting this one on my left forearm (on the inside forearm) and I'm curious as to what to expect. I know it depends a lot on your artist and how heavy or light handed they are (the guy doing mine is super sweet and really talented as an artist and I've been told he is pretty light handed) but I'm wondering if anyone reading this can give me some insight on what to expect?

The inside of the arm towards the elbow is more sensitive. My second one was in that spot too. I've had two more, one multi-session, and a touch up on that one since then so I wouldn't call the pain so bad as to be off-putting. I think the trick with tattoos is to just relax, breathe and let it hurt. You're not in danger, it's just your body telling you that your skin's being damaged. I also find chatting with the artist to be helpful.

It's a pain I hate to love but love to hate, like can't wait for it to end but already planning the next one! I wish I had the time & money to finish a full sleeve!

Hi hi...

Love tattoos..

Just over half way through a whole back piece and bum cheeks...lol..

Been going 6 months still need another 6 at least..

Had to go colour as the bottom half is a cover up and so is my spine..

Black and grey are my favorites and hoping my sleeve in black and grey with hints of my back colour will look ok..

It hurts..Some say different places are different..

I say in having my back done it's true..spine was just a drumming,that went all the way through my body.. but no real pain..

The further round my ribs we go..The more hot scratchy..ouchy it gets...

The one thing I would say is make sure you pick the right artist..

Common mistake is people think artists can tattoo anything in any style..

Wrong!!

Do your homework,make sure you've researched the tattooist and they are capable of doing what you want...

Then happy days x

Good luck..

I like tattoos a lot, I want to get one, but haven't figured out where or what yet. I actually really want one on left side up by the boob area, which I know is going to hurt that's why I have put it off. It isn't anything huge, but still.

I have three tattoos. They're pretty small I suppose but they didn't hurt at all. I have one on my left shoulder blade, and one on each arm right below where my elbow bends. I want to get a half sleeve eventually, I just haven't decided what I want yet.

After my tattoo experience (had a cover up and it lasted 4 hours) I wish someone told me: tell the artist if the position is uncomfortable. Why? I got home, freshly tattooed back, went to sleep and in the middle of the night my sciatic nerve was pinched. Do you have any idea how much it hurts? It hurt more than the 4 hours getting tattoed. Always talk, always say how you are feeling. You can't compromise your well being cause you are positioned uncomfortably while feeling a lot of pain. I had no idea this would happen, I just sat still and tried not to interrupt the artist unless I needed a very necessary pain break. I think this is what I wosh I would've read (cause I read EVERYTHING)... 

tattoos are awesome though, they hurt, it's the truth, in my opinion, it was worth it, minus the could've been avoided pain I had afterwards. If you know what you want, I encourage you to go get it. I had a cover up of a tattoo I got very young and very unplanned and it turned uot not that bad but with time it got terrible. So be sure of it 100% and you'll love it forever, it's like new information encripted on your dna. 

This was so informative! Thank You!

My hubby has three and wants more and has been trying to convince me to think about it because he wants me to experience things in life! Once he told me how he views tattoos as works of art expressing someones inner true emotions and interests I got to where I was thinking about it. I am bad about change though and I am not dumb I know it will hurt to get one. I think because I grew up in a house with a mom who never had anything like that (not even pierced ears) I am more unsure, and I want to make sure I am not getting talked into anything I don't really want.

I like what my friends mom had us do one summer when her daughter said she wanted one really young. She did this for me too even though I wasn't interested back then. She took us to a place that does it at fairs ....ugh I forgot what its called spray art or something like that. Anyway she told us to pick what we wanted and gave us our choices of where. one it was done she said for the rest of the year we will get this done the same way and in the same spot. If you still love it by then and it doesn't bother you or you wish you could take it back then you are ready and old enough to get a tattoo if not then I want you to wait until you are 18 or older to get  one. She didn't last by the way, my friend ended up hating it that year.

So now I am doing something similar everytime I find one I like and can identify with I do it in sharpie where I want it ( I am an artist so it tends too look really cool) and I leave it on until it bothers me. I think I have found the one I want but now it's the paint and the money I need to worry about!

Helpful post. I"m planning on getting 2 tattoos this year. One on my shoulder in the front of a bird made out of music notes. I want it colored in blue watercolors. On my back shoulder blade, I want a dandelion with petals floating away, to symbolize the changes/new beginnings I've been going through the last year. 

24 minutes ago, Golightly63 said:

I've thought of getting watercolor tattoos, but a little research changed my mind. Watercolor tattoos can age and fade rapidly -

Why Watercolor Tattoos Won't Stand the Test of Time

Nice to know. I might just have it black and white then. Thanks

12 minutes ago, Nidalaeh said:

Nice to know. I might just have it black and white then. Thanks

Consider getting some grey shading in anything done black as it'll blend better and fade more slowly overall.

Oh wow when I get a tattoo I am high on endorphins for about a day or two ...I said to the tattooist how nice the feeling was .. everyone in there heard and they were impressed.. but stunned 

dominatrix anybody?  lol 

i dream of glitter tattoos 

Edited by Lilminxme2017

I totally should have read this before getting my first tattoo. Lol