Veruca Salk

How Do You Get Ready For A Vacation/holiday?

15 posts in this topic

I travel quite a bit for work and so there are a number of tricks I play on myself to make sure I am able to also travel for fun. For instance, I knew that I wanted to spend my friend's 30th birthday with her, which meant spending a week away from home sandwiched between two other weeks at the office.

My solution was booking far in advance, and carving out tiny chunks of time each week to plan meals, logistics, and allow myself the space of mind to discover quite a few charming gifts from the serious to the hilarious.

However, staring down the barrel of two weeks in Europe in June (who says it like that?!) has me wondering how I'm going to pull it off amid everything else going on.

/preface

Here's the question: when you take a "big" vacation, longer than a weekend, maybe even a week, what do you do to prepare? Checklists? Or do you just get out there and see what happens? Do you travel light or check two bags? Do you do anything differently at work so you won't be resented as much?

I am the person who can travel really light or go somewhere between light and heavy. But because I almost always travel on budget airlines, I travel with carry on only. The only exception is if I am going for months.

I am a checklist type of person for packing. As for other stuff, I like to research a lot especially for accommodation, food and places to visit. I read reviews etc. I really research the food a lot because I can't tell you how much having to randomly choose somewhere to eat and regret it because bad food just ruins my mood.

I also research transportation etc. I think compared to most people I can be very detailed in my pre-vacation research but I think it is mostly because I have tight budgets.

Then I like to make time for exploring whatever catches my eye when I am there as well. I don't plan every moment but I like to have a rough idea on when it is best to go to certain places.

Not very sure how this would relate to work? I will elaborate on that if you clarify that part.

Edited by Jez

I wait to the last minute, then cram everything into my duffel bag. No preparation. I just go.

I travel light, there's nowhere I'm going to go that doesn't have a shop nearby if I need something, the rule for me is hand luggage only. iPad and phone for goggle maps. Clean knickers and a toothbrush and I'm good to go.

I do a checklist and travel as light as possible. But I like to be prepared too. Like having a sweatshirt in case the weather goes to hell. Easier for me to relax if I know my bases are covered. And as far as coworkers go... I work hard and I earn my vacation time. They can think whatever they like while I enjoy myself :-P

^^ Lol I am exactly like lafnatme, only I don't own a duffel bag, just a regular travel case.

I don't ever use a checklist for anything and this drives my husband crazy, because I always end up forgetting something!

How heavy/light I travel depends on whether I am traveling with kids/ going solo, bringing gifts, going for longer time/ short trips etc. I can travel as light as just one carry on to as heavy as checking in two suitcases.

I try to finish as much work as I can before leaving but it never seems to happen, or something always comes up days before I leave so I never have extra time to pack slowly or anticipate a trip. Probably why I almost always pack just the night before.

I'm a list maker. I usually try to think of how long I will be somewhere, what the atmosphere will be like, and pack accordingly. That being said, I also try to coordinate what I pack so I have the least amount of luggage as possible. Socks and comfortable shoes are the only things I won't compromise on.

As for work, I'm fortunate enough to work with a great group of people. We all coordinate our vacations, and everyone is happy for one another when we can escape lol. There's no animosity. We work very hard, and we all relish the time off to recharge.

I'm only a list maker as far as the actual travel arrangements/documents etc are concerned. I travel 'heavy' - ijm will confirm this lol. I take way too much but with not a lot of forethought :)

i don't usually have a checklist because i think it's in my mind. lol. but i go around the house for things that i need.

- for example in the bathroom, the process of going to the bathroom, getting ready, take a shower till i come out fresh, what do i need? i start collecting all things, put them in travel size bottles in zip locks. i also bring spare zip locks. perfume mmmm. i bring perfume samples with me sometimes. so i could try on.

- then i lay down travel documents, 2 pens and a notebook, credit card, about $110 cash in different notes.

- extra stuff like camera, camera charger, phone, phone charger, 2 books to read, tablet, tablet charger, earphones.

- 1 extra pair of glasses, sunglasses, shoes.

- my next top is clothes. mix match is the key for me. recycle clothes during travel time, so no need for a laundry at all till i come home. i have a spare bag for dirty clothes. that way my clean clothes and dirty ones won't mix up.

- lots of panties though i'm not leaking. lots of panties still. lol. bras, socks, beanies and accessories. one backpack in case you end up buying lots of things that your carryon can't carry on anymore. lol

- small bandaids, a big bandaid for wrist strain just in case. wet tissues, eyedrops, cotton swabs, some cold & flu, allergy meds in case i get allergy for food because i'm such a foodie. lol.

i pack about 15-20 mins for most trips. for my international trips for 4 months, it'll take me 3-4 hours because of the clothes and the things i could bring with me. i don't want to bring too much, but at the same time i don't want to buy a lot of things when i get to my destination ;o

i book tickets about a quarter in advance or longer if that's the trip i really want to make. i'll have months to mentally prepare for it.

some of my friends sometimes do spontaneous. we would say we go to this place, book a plane ticket and off we go that same weekend.

my point of traveling is to relax my mind and meet interesting people so i travel as light as i can.

the only time that i don't really pack my things was last year when i got in a motorbike accident. i couldn't walk properly to stand up/sit up to pack. i basically trust my mom on packing. it feels liberated, excited and scary at the same time. i have no idea what she packs for me. lol

i still have that contentment after travel. it feels great going back to work for the first few days.

Edited by Ms.G

Im a very, very last minute girl..lol

If it doesnt fit in a carry on i dont need it and if i get there and find i do i buy it ..

so long as i have my toothbrush and clean pants im good to go x

I've 21 furry souls currently in my charge so going anywhere for longer than an overnight requires planning & preparing more to ensure their care & that they're fed than anything else....last yr I lost the fishes to having trusted a shithead to babysit instead of my cousin...I started prepping for my trip end of this month at end of last month.

the biggest pain is to ensure I've enough home-made food made for the dogs while I'm gone...or ingredients to make more if the need arises along with their meds & vitamins & making sure the vet & e-vet know whomever I leave in charge is authorized to make decisions regarding treatment, be sure I've gotten enough litter & kibble for the cats, enough rabbit food, vitamins & treats for her and bugs, greens & spare lightbulbs for the bearded dragon...finding a responsible babysitter would be a nightmare if one (my cousin) weren't right down the street.

Packing for me? Easy-peasy...3 pairs pants, shirts, undies, bras, 1 pair socks, toothbrush, laptop, gps, books, camera & I'm good to go. I bought tickets back in Feb for this trip.

I'm only a list maker as far as the actual travel arrangements/documents etc are concerned. I travel 'heavy' - ijm will confirm this lol. I take way too much but with not a lot of forethought :)

That 'Oh, i'm not sure what I'll want to wear' deliberation does quite turn me on :) as I sit back and watch you after I've unpacked in 2 minutes flat ;) :P xxxx

I google the destination and make a list of all the things I want to do.

I also check tripadvisor to get some insight on the hotel i'll be staying at.

Then.. i make sure my camera is charged and ready to go and that's all i really need!

My idea of a holiday might differ from most. I pack my gear onto my bike. fill my saddle bags and point my bike in the direction I feel like going. This past spring it was riding across half of Canada and back in 23days. I ride as many miles a day I want to. I stop when I feel like it. I eat when I am hungry and I look for a place to lay my head when I am tired. No real rules just adventure of experiencing something new.

I plan the vacation well in advance and save up the money, book flights, hotel, etc but then I wait until the last minute to pack. I am leaving for HK and Japan in a few days and I still haven't packed anything.