You know me (well some do anyway) I have a tendency to ramble my thoughts without knowing at the start and this is going to be one of those times ...
I have a few days off work and so my radio listening and Shybi time has increased of course ... and one of the radio progs was all about the differences and similarities of online communication and real world communication.
I know that for instance in the real world you will have instant access to a lot of information but actually what is more interesting I think is all the information we have a tendency to forget we don't have access to ... the assumptions we make when meeting someone for the first time. eg:
These basic assumptions may be wrong:
- The person speaks english (or our first language, whatever that is (assumed to be English for the sake of this thread)
- The English speaker understands my level of English
- The person can hear me talking
- The person has sufficient neuro muscular control to make understandable words
- The person has a suffiicient quality of emotional / mental health to be able to talk to me
- The person is in a still calm environment when answering me, like I am writing this
- The other person has time to think through there answer
- The person gives the same meaning and value to thier online lives as I do
- Other people will understand my slang
I read somewhere about a shift in the way some online dating sites are set up ... instead of noticeboard type forums ... some are now going the way of setting up virtual dating communities in which you would be able 'to move' towards and away from when you wanted to flirt or not with an individual .... reading this article got me thinking about the freindships / relationships that happen here and how hard it might be not to be able to see signals that we all give off in the real world (or is poss in the virtual commnunities) that would tell you warn you that the other person might be changing thier mind ....
I'm sure changing relationships are made harder by these things .... and I was wondering if there's others besides me who is wondering what can ease online communication when change has to happen or boundaries have to be set so the other really sees them so they can respect them ...
over to you ....